Mechanical Engineer, Aviation Engines
Mechanical Engineer, Aviation Engines Hawthorne, CA · Full time
Mechanical Engineer, Aviation Engines will play an integral role on a talented team focused on decarbonizing aviation. If you thrive in a collaborative, cutting edge, entrepreneurial environment and are looking for a unique opportunity to join a highly motivated team, with excellent benefits and a casual but results-driven work environment - this is the perfect opportunity for you.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Lead selection, integration, and test of aviation JetA and SAF engines into Ampaire’s electrified propulsion aircraft including gas turbines and reciprocating engines (typical range is from >100kW to 0.5 to 1.0 MW in the near term, and >MW scale in the longer term)
- Collaborate with supply chain and strategy leadership on engine supplier discussions
- Collaborate with the engineering team to successfully integrate engines with the aircraft, auxiliary systems, and electrical systems
- Write and support engine test plans and execution
- Collaborate on development of test equipment and facilities
- Bachelor’s degree in Aeronautical, Mechanical, Electrical, Software or Mechatronics Engineering
- 10+ years of increasing responsibilities in aviation engine systems
- Expertise with gas turbine and reciprocating engine installation, operation, and maintenance including:
- installation requirements
- performance characteristics and limitations
- maintenance requirements
- fuel systems
- lubrication systems
- cooling systems
- combustion systems
- Familiarity with FAA certification per Part 33
- Demonstrated expertise with ARP 4754 process oversight
- Familiarity with FAA certification per Part 23
- Expert user of Jama requirements management tool
- High voltage experience
Travel: Up to 10%. Travel to Camarillo Airport for flight testing.
Ampaire is a tech startup based in California that is leading the charge in electric aviation. We are on a mission to provide the world with electric commercial flights that are affordable, quiet, and environmentally conscious. We are building the future of air travel by reimagining the way people and their things fly. We are a practical and lean start-up that quickly iterates and learns, and this has allowed Ampaire to be among the first of the electric aviation companies to fly.
We are located at the intersection of aerospace and electric vehicles, right next to SpaceX and Tesla at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles County. As part of Starburst, the world’s top aerospace accelerator, we have access to an international support network. We're proud to have won multiple international awards as a Top Aerospace Startup (Hello Tomorrow, Paris), Top Electrification Startup (New Mobility Challenge, Los Angeles), and IEEE N3XT Stars. We've also been featured in Aviation Week for our creative business approach and early success. Our talented team brings a diverse background from top institutions including Caltech, Stanford, USC, Northrop Grumman, SpaceX, Virgin Orbit, and General Motors.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
At Ampaire, we are committed to building a more inclusive ecosystem that integrates women, people of color, and other underrepresented groups into the cleantech sector and aerospace industry. We strongly encourage applications from qualified applicants and members of underrepresented groups. Ampaire is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Ampaire is governed based on merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
$90,000 - $210,000 per year