Austin, TX, USA
Posted on Wednesday, January 3, 2024
We know that the earth beneath our feet holds extraordinary, untapped capacity to accelerate the clean energy transition. Bedrock Energy is on a mission to transform the heating and cooling of buildings, using carbon-free, hyper-efficient, and ultra-safe geothermal energy to radically reduce costs for people and the environment.
Incorporated in 2022, Bedrock recently raised a $8.5M seed round from leading investors and is gathering exceptional talent to scale geothermal energy to decarbonize buildings everywhere. We’re seeking creative, collaborative, proactive team members who inspire us with their high standards of excellence, integrity, and commitment to our shared mission.
As an early member of Bedrock Energy’s Project Engineering team, you will be responsible for the design, research and troubleshooting of geothermal heating and cooling systems. You will collaborate with a growing team of software, electrical, and mechanical technologists and our field operations team to deliver our novel drilling and heat pump technologies to decarbonize buildings everywhere. In doing so, you will also help set the early foundation of our engineering organization’s culture, processes, systems, and standards.
- Support the design and construction of geothermal heating and cooling systems by utilizing engineering tools and applying functional knowledge of building energy modeling, fluid systems, solid mechanics, heat transfer, well construction, subsurface engineering, etc.
- Design field experiments, conduct analyses, and write engineering reports about key equipment, tools, and field protocol decisions, alongside mechanical, electrical and software engineers, and operational crews.
- Research subsurface conditions of various locations and evaluate tools, equipment, and cost implications for geo-field construction within those locations
- Diagnose equipment malfunctions, add technical analyses onto key performance indicators, etc. Participate in professional societies in areas of specialization, write technical papers, and present at technical and trade conferences
- Support the development of patent inventions when applicable.
- Share skills and knowledge across the organization by documenting best practices, case histories, and lessons learned to the company’s knowledge management database and in team learning sessions
- Perform other field engineering tasks, as assigned by Bedrock Energy’s leadership.
- Degree(s) in Engineering (Mechanical, Civil, or Geotechnical preferred) or related fields
- Industry experience related to geo-energy or hydrocarbon well construction, downhole tool development, or subsurface engineeringKnowledge of fundamental drilling and subsurface engineering including: geology, casing design, drill string design, drilling fluids, downhole telemetry, etc.
- Appetite for learning about building energy modeling and HVAC systems
- BS + 5 years of relevant industry experience, or MS + 3 years of relevant industry experience; Professional Engineer license is a plus
- Experience collaborating in cross-functional engineering environments; previous experience in a startup environment is a plus
- Passion for the clean energy transition
- Proactivity: You take ownership, offer hypotheses, and hold yourself accountable.
- Coachability: You welcome and react constructively to feedback and seek new skills with gusto.
- Excellence: You hold yourself, and your team members, to high standards of performance.
- Creativity: You enjoy finding resourceful, unconventional, flexible solutions to problems.
- Integrity: You take pride in ethical, honest behavior, no matter who is around to see it.
- Compassion: You remember empathy, respect, and care in your interactions with others
- Commitment to Diversity: You actively look to surround yourself and collaborate inclusively with people who are different from you in experience, background, worldview, and resources.
Bedrock Energy is building a strong culture based on our Organizational Values. In addition, we are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Bedrock Energy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.