Senior HVAC Design Engineer (mid-level) - New York City, NY (remote)
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Thursday, June 8, 2023
BlocPower is a clean energy leader creating smarter, greener, healthier buildings for all by reducing the barriers to money-saving, quality-of-life-improving green building upgrade. We provide engineering, financing and project implementation services for our clients, with a special focus in historically left out communities across the country. These communities, and their buildings, are underserved by traditional energy services companies because they are considered too small, too costly, or too risky. Our portfolio of projects include houses of worship, schools, non-profits, small businesses and multifamily buildings. Through our work, we save our clients money, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve health and create local employment opportunities.
At BlocPower, we value our mission. We are trusted advisors that get things done for our customers by using data to make the right decisions. We support and expect excellence from our team members. We treat both our customers and ourselves with care and respect.
As our work is centered around systematically disenfranchised communities – including people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women and LGBTQ people – we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.
In this role, you will be focusing on developing heat pump design and construction standards and ensuring quality control on electrification projects across all BlocPower markets.
As electrification projects require, develop drawings and specifications and conduct commissioning on the installation of heat pump systems.
As senior members of a nimble, growing team, we also expect you to take a strong role in building the company into a leader in electrifying residential and commercial buildings. This means taking the initiative to improve tools and processes and flexibly taking on new responsibilities when the need arises.
This is a unique opportunity to work in a fast-paced, mission-driven organization. We offer a flexible work environment, though we are working remotely for the foreseeable future. We offer competitive compensation, a comprehensive benefits package, and an opportunity to learn and grow in a cutting-edge environment.
Energy and Design Engineering
- Develop preliminary designs and/or review others’ designs for the electrification of HVAC systems to determine appropriate scopes of work and accurately estimate project costs.
- Develop a design manual to be distributed to all designers that work on BlocPower-branded projects
- Assist in the ongoing development of the Blocpower Quality Control Manual
- Create standard details for inclusion in drawings to expedite drawing creation
- Create standard specifications
- Create a data-driven strategy and market plan describing when to utilize consultants, hire in-house or acquire design/engineering talent in various markets
- Review HVAC designs done by others
- Perform 3D scanning of existing condition surveys
- Produce schematic & full MEP design drawings
- Conduct expediting services following standard operating procedure
- Conduct internal supplementary site inspections
- Function as HVAC commissioning agent on BlocPower's projects
- Train MEP design firms and HVAC contractors
Project and Client Management
- Proactively coordinate with cross-functional teams to deliver technical solutions to clients.
- Develop and deliver reports, presentations, and communications with strong client orientation.
- Develop and maintain strong domain knowledge and experience in HVAC design, standards, and codes.
- Serve as a subject-matter expert by effectively sharing domain knowledge to raise the level of the team
- Identify and implement substantial improvements to existing processes and tools or develop new, more effective solutions
- Mentor junior members of the team to accelerate their professional growth
- P.E. license in NY state BS or Masters degree in Engineering field
- 5-10 years of experience with HVAC design in a collaborative project development environment
- Design of heat pump systems in residential and commercial buildings
- Strong written and communication skills.
- P.E. license in California, Massachusetts, Connecticut and Georgia.
- Commissioning agent certification(s)
- Experience with HVAC project cost estimation.
- Frequent site travel to buildings within NY State to assess project opportunities
- Must be able to work in industrial and mechanical spaces, with exposure to heat, noise, heights, and confined spaces
- Must be able to move light (~20 lbs) equipment between office and site locations and ascend/descend ladders
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Long-term disability insurance
- Generous vacation policy
- Maternity and paternity leave benefits per NYC law
- Commuter and bike-to-work benefits
This job description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position. The duties and responsibilities may change without notice.
BlocPower™ provides equal employment opportunities(EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, BlocPower™ complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
BlocPower™ expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of BlocPower™ employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.