Blue Ocean Barns College Internship
Blue Ocean Barns
Kailua-Kona, HI, USA
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2023
About Blue Ocean Barns
Blue Ocean Barns, Inc. (BOB) is a Delaware Public Benefit Corporation on a mission to solve the climate impact of cattle by working with farmers and food companies to commercialize and rapidly scale the production and use of our proprietary, algae-based livestock feed ingredient. Originally launched in the heart of Silicon Valley, the company has since established operations on the Big Island of Hawai'i and San Diego. We are a well-resourced, professionally managed, and rapidly growing company looking for diverse and exceptionally talented people who are motivated to make a meaningful impact on climate change.
About the Role
Blue Ocean Barns is excited to offer three month, paid in-person internships to college students. Interns at Blue Ocean Barns play an important role in the operation of our aquaculture farm, where we grow a special type of algae that fights climate change. Interns will learn from our experienced aquaculture technicians and gain valuable hands-on experience in a fast-growing and cutting-edge aquaculture facility, all while providing real contributions to the success of our algae-growing operation. Our interns have numerous responsibilities, with a primary focus on optimizing the growth of our special climate-helping algae.
Responsibilities may include:
- Working with team members to sample algae from growing vessels for inspection and analysis
- Working with team members to conduct, monitor, and learn from experiments aimed at optimizing the growth of our special algae
- Sanitation of equipment and vessels
- Assisting supervisors and managers with administrative tasks such as data entry, record keeping, etc.
- Assist with the maintenance and construction of aquaculture systems, under the supervision of the Maintenance Supervisor.
- Performing other duties as needed by supervisor
- Ability to stand for extended periods, both inside an air conditioned indoor lab with concrete floors and outside on uneven surfaces
- Ability to perform fine manipulations with hands and fingers
- Ability to use math skills in performing duties
- Interest in science and experimentation
- Ability or willingness to learn to utilize laboratory equipment and work in a sterile environment
- Ability to work with and around chemicals such as bleach, following all safety guidelines
- Eagerness to learn and to contribute as a valued team member
- Ability to work with and around chemicals such as bleach and acid, following all safety guidelines including wearing a full-face respirator for limited periods of time.
Our internship program is open to college students who are able to work approximately 8 hours or more per week during our normal business hours (7 am to 3 pm, Monday through Friday). Weekend opportunities are not available for this particular internship. Interns will need to obtain their own transportation to our growing facility location at NELHA in Kailua-Kona (73-753 Makako Bay Drive). Our internships are paid at a rate of $17 per hour. Please attach a résumé or brief write-up of your job and/or school experience, and please also fill out the question on the next page regarding your interest in this role (there is no need to fill out the Current Company, LinkedIn URL, or Additional Information questions). Mahalo and we look forward to meeting you!
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.