GCMS Analytical Lab Technician
Blue Ocean Barns
San Diego, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, July 8, 2023
About Blue Ocean Barns
Blue Ocean Barns, Inc. (BOB) is a Delaware Public Benefit Corporation on a mission to solve the climate impact of cattle by working with farmers and food companies to commercialize and rapidly scale the production and use of our proprietary, algae-based livestock feed ingredient. Originally launched in the heart of Silicon Valley, the company has since established operations on the Big Island of Hawai'i and San Diego. We are a well-resourced, professionally managed, and rapidly growing company looking for diverse and exceptionally talented people who are motivated to make a meaningful impact on climate change.
About the Role
The BOB San Diego R&D & Design Team is responsible for developing the analytical capabilities required to support the Company’s near and long-term applied R&D plans. Our facility includes a seedbank and nursery for our algae cultures, a wet lab, space for physical prototyping, and an analytical lab which is in the process of being equipped. The cornerstone of our analytical lab is a GCMS (Thermo Fisher Trace 1310 / ISQ 7000), which is primarily used to measure the concentration of halogenated compounds in our algae. The Analytical Lab Technician’s first responsibility is the daily preparation of samples, operation, and maintenance of the GCMS, as well as management, analysis, and quality assurance of the data it produces. This person will be additionally responsible for the development of new analytical methods and techniques, as well as for operating current and future analytical equipment, including XRF, water activity, spectrophotometry, microscopy, and others.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
- Adhere to, and develop as necessary, analytical methods and SOPs for all analytical equipment, including especially QA/QC for GC-MS analysis of organohalogen compounds.
- With guidance from the Lab Manager, develop and manage a process flow and daily schedule for preparing and analyzing samples on the GC-MS
- Adhere to a robust data management system and develop processes for sharing, analyzing, and synthesizing data produced by analytical equipment.
- Ensure rigorous analytical standards are maintained.
- Perform routine maintenance and troubleshooting of all analytical equipment
- Contribute to a clean, safe, and functional workspace that exceeds regulatory requirements and that facilitates use by team members.
- Adhere to best practices with respect to documenting and protecting intellectual property.
Experience and Abilities
- AS in Chemical Lab Technology with 3+ year’s experience in a QA/QC or experimental lab environment
- BS in Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry or related science with 1-3 years of experience in a QA/QC or experimental lab environment preferred.
- Experience preparing samples and standards, using a GC-MS, analyzing VOCs, and translating the results to a useful manner.
- Strong mechanical aptitude demonstrated through the ability to troubleshoot and maintain lab instrumentation.
- Solid understanding of chemistry, math, and statistical analysis
- Computer software skills, including Chromeleon, database management, Excel, python, R, etc.
- Knowledge of standardized methodologies (ASTM/UOP, ISO, etc.)
- Ability to work independently and to adapt to shifting priorities.
Physical and Other Requirements
- Ability to stand for extended periods, primarily in an air-conditioned indoor lab.
- Ability to perform fine manipulations with hands and fingers.
- Ability to work safely with and around hazardous chemicals.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive compensation dependent on level of experience
- Full health, vision, and dental coverage, covering 100% of insurance premium for employee and 50% for dependents.
- Opportunity to participate in employee stock option plan.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.