Blue Ocean Barns
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2023
About Blue Ocean Barns
Blue Ocean Barns, Inc. (BOB) is a Delaware Public Benefit Corporation on a mission to solve the climate impact of cattle by working with farmers and food companies to commercialize and rapidly scale the production and use of our proprietary, algae-based livestock feed ingredient. Originally launched in the heart of Silicon Valley, the company has since established operations on the Big Island of Hawai'i and San Diego. We are a well-resourced, professionally managed, and rapidly growing company looking for diverse and exceptionally talented people who are motivated to make a meaningful impact on climate change.
BOB has successfully transitioned the cultivation of the tetrasporophyte phase of Asparagopsis taxiformis (a red macroalgae)from the laboratory to an outdoor production facility located at the Company’s headquarters in Kailua-Kona, HI (NELHA). The Company is currently expanding outdoor cultivation in Kailua-Kona, HI as well as building our first international site located in Baja, Mexico.
In anticipation of this rapid scale-up, the CAD Technician (Contractor) will play a pivotal role in creating accurate and detailed technical drawings and models using Computer-Aided Design (CAD) software. Your work will be integral in supporting our engineering and design projects to support the development and construction of our tank-based aquaculture systems.
Blue Ocean Barns has offices in Kailua-Kona, HI and San Diego, CA. We are open to this role being in-person, hybrid, or remote, but will prioritize applicants living in Hawai'i and California.
Scope of Work
- Create precise 2D and 3D CAD drawings and models based on project requirements, including mechanical, electrical, and component designs.
- Generate comprehensive technical drawings and schematics to be used for project planning, construction, and production.
- Collaborate closely with the Research, Development & Design team and the Algae Operations team to understand project specifications and make necessary adjustments to CAD designs.
- Perform quality checks on CAD models and drawings to ensure accuracy, compliance with industry standards, and adherence to project guidelines.
- Organize and maintain CAD files and project documentation in a structured and accessible manner for future reference.
- Stay up-to-date with CAD software applications and utilize their full potential to enhance productivity and efficiency.
- Identify and resolve design and technical issues by working closely with our in house Design & Construction team, as well as the Director of Operations.
- Manage and prioritize tasks to meet project deadlines and ensure timely delivery of CAD materials.
Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or certification in CAD, engineering, or a related field is preferred.
- Proven experience as a CAD Technician, with a strong portfolio of CAD design work. Experience working with aquaculture systems preferred.
- Prior experience with AutoCAD, SolidWorks, or other CAD software as well as P&ID design is a significant advantage. Currently, work is done in AutoCAD MEP (Which includes standard AutoCAD, Autocad Plant 3D, and others).
- Working knowledge of drafting standards, engineering principles, and design best practices.
- Exceptional attention to detail to produce accurate and error-free CAD drawings and models.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to adapt to changing project requirements.
- Strong organizational and time management skills to meet project deadlines.
- Contractual Flexibility: Availability for a contract-based position, including flexibility in work hours to meet project demands.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.