Director of R&D and Principal Scientist / Engineer
Dimensional Energy is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce. We recognize that experience and talent are not always limited to the technical requirements of a job. If you have similar experience to the qualifications listed here, please consider applying. We strongly encourage those from marginalized and/or underrepresented identities to apply. If you need accommodations during the interview process, please let us know.
Dimensional Energy, a leader in the production of sustainable fuels and other chemicals from carbon dioxide, is seeking a motivated, organized, experienced laboratory Scientist/Engineer to serve as Director of R&D, Manager, and Principal Investigator for our Ithaca, NY location. This leadership position requires strong organizational and management skills and will require daily interaction with a diverse team working on a range of projects. The Director of R&D will report to the Chief Science Officer and will be responsible for staying abreast of all research projects and helping project leads to ensure they stay on schedule and meet critical milestones. If you are passionate about combatting climate change; can motivate, inspire, and manage a diverse team; and thrive in a fast-paced start-up environment, please consider joining our team.
Pay and Benefits
- Dimensional Energy offers competitive salaries, based on experience.
- Health, vision, dental insurance packages available.
- Matching 401k
- The salary range for this position is $120,000-$200,000 based on experience.
Job Summary and Key Responsibilities
The primary role of the Director of R&D is to oversee R&D at the Ithaca, NY location and manage projects and personnel. They will have significant input on the R&D pathways and technology development of the company. Activities will include:
- Day-to-day management of research efforts to ensure projects are on track.
- Troubleshooting in a team environment.
- Managing Ithaca facility R&D and grant projects.
- Writing reports and project summaries.
- Applying for grants as PI.
- Organizing and performing experiments related to CO2 conversion and materials projects.
- Assisting R&D, site development, and engineering teams with test procedures, data analyses, summaries, and reports.
- Innovating new technologies and helping secure Intellectual Property and patents.
- Statistical data analysis.
- Mentoring and training employees.
- Ensuring records and lab notebooks are maintained meticulously.
- Maintaining laboratory space in accordance with safety regulations and Good Laboratory Practice.
- Ensuring all activities are completed in a timely fashion.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- MS or PhD preferred with 5+ years’ experience in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Materials Science, or related fields.
- Experience managing others in a laboratory setting
- Demonstrated experience managing multiple projects.
- Experience with Intellectual Property generation and procedures.
- Ability to lead and function as part of a team.
- Broad understanding of multiple topics in inorganic chemistry, heterogeneous catalysis, chemical reactors, catalyst formulation, materials, corrosion, and Design of Experiments.
- Specific experience with syngas, hydrogen and carbon dioxide chemistry in an industrial environment is a plus.
- Experience using/maintaining a variety of laboratory equipment such as gas analyzers, mass flow/temperature/pressure controllers, ultra-high temperature furnaces, and ability to become proficient in new equipment quickly.
- Motivated and passionate about developing new technology to combat climate change.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply new subject matter.
- Natural problem solver.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Labview, data analysis software, and specialty programs in field of expertise.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
About Dimensional Energy
Dimensional Energy is based in the US and is a leader in the production of sustainable fuels. We develop proprietary technology to convert carbon dioxide into sustainable jet fuel, diesel, and other products. Our carbon utilization platform allows companies to recycle their emissions to replace the fossil carbon in their supply chain. Our technology presents a true alternative to the extraction, refinement and burning of fossil carbon, all of which must cease in the coming decades in order to leave a livable planet for those who will come after us. Dimensional Energy recognizes that traditional fossil fuel extraction has disproportionately impacted communities of color and low-income communities. We are committed to a different path and aim to partner with local communities to ensure those impacted are included in the implementation and profit structure of our solutions. We envision a world free from fossil fuel dependency. We are growing quickly, come join us.