Manager of Mechanical Design
At FreeWire we fundamentally change the way businesses and utilitieselectrify. We build battery-based energy storage systems that provideclean and quiet power anywhere it’s needed, reducing the cost andaccelerating deployment of electric vehicle charging infrastructure.FreeWire’s solutions are evolving from providing ultrafast EV chargingservices to a full suite of energy services to accelerate sustainableelectrification and provide resiliency to customers and a distributedpower source to utilities. FreeWire has secured major strategicinvestors from Fortune 100 companies and serves leading corporate,utility, and retail customers. The feedback on the Boost Charger,FreeWire’s DC fast charger, has been overwhelmingly positive as weelectrify locations that would have been too expensive to power on usingconventional charging solutions. Utilities are releasing RFPs withrequests for battery backed solutions, their regulatory teams areincluding our technology as eligible for incentives, and they areseeking cost effective solutions as they electrify their fleets andprovide utility owned charging solutions for the public.
FreeWirehas deployed battery-integrated chargers with Fortune 100 companies,commercial customers, fleets, retail locations, and gas stations. Inaddition to its partnership with bp pulse, FreeWire and ampm, a bpsubsidiary and convenience store chain with over 1,000 locations, havealready deployed multiple public charging stations in the U.S.FreeWire’s regulatory affairs and policy team keeps customers up to dateon federal, state, and utility incentive opportunities, which in somecases cover up to 80% of the cost of the charging station, and thecompany recently announced that the Boost Charger is Buy Americacompliant. Learn more at www.freewiretech.com and follow us@FreeWireTech.
Manager of Mechanical Design
The Manager of Mechanical Design will report to the Director ofMechanical Engineering and will manage a team of talented MechanicalEngineers in the detail design and development of mechanical componentsand assemblies used in advanced electro-mechanical applications fromconcept to end of life.
- Leads the teams in the design and development of FreeWire’s future mechanical products, solutions, and procedures
- Identifies advancement in mechanical materials and design and applies them to FreeWire’s products
- Attends trade shows and events to network and discover advancements in technologies applicable to FreeWire
- Strives to improve efficiency, sustainability, and accuracy of product design data
- Advocates on behalf of team members in securing appropriate resources for success
- Assigns tasks to appropriate engineering and technical personnel for successful execution
- Leads the documentation of design specifications, including but not limited to, CAD models and drawings
- Interfaces with other managers in the organization to align with company goals
- Ensures the accuracy of CAD data and product bill of materials before release to each product lifecycle
- Provides support to material procurement by interfacing with suppliers, vendors, and fabricators
- Provides support to other cross-functional teams in terms of resolvingfield issues, customer concerns, and others related to the quality andreliability of FreeWire products
- Conducts annual performance evaluations of team members as per current FreeWire evaluation procedures
- This role is a working manager and there may be hands-on mechanical engineering tasks similar to those that would generally be assigned to direct reports.
- All other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering; Master’s in Mechanical Engineering a plus
- 5-7 years of relevant mechanical design work experience
- 3-5 years of engineering management experience
- Proficient in the use of CREO Parametric preferred; other 3-dimensional CAD software may be considered
- Proficient in the use of Windchill and Arena PLM; other PLM systems may be considered.
- Knowledge of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing described in ANSI Y14.5
- Knowledge of design, DFM, DFX, lean manufacturing methods of sheetmetal, plastics, welding, assembly, wire harnesses, andelectrical-mechanical interfaces
- Personnel and project management skills to effectively plan and organize projects and priorities
- Expert-level knowledge in the mechanical engineering field related to FreeWire products and services
- Strategic knowledge, leadership, and mentoring skills
- Strong verbal, interpersonal, and conflict-resolution communication skills
- Critical thinking ability to analyze complex problems and large technical data
- Flexible in the realm of constantly changing priorities
- Proficient presentation skills in explaining complex information to non-technical management and other personnel
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously while still meeting deadlines
- Ability to work effectively with other design disciplines as well asmanufacturing to create design solutions that address often-conflictingrequirements
- Ability to write clear and concise technical documentation
- Acute attention to detail and deadlines
- Some repetitive motion activities
- Visual acuity to operate equipment and read technical information
- Able to use a computer/keyboard for extended periods of time
- Able to use office & test equipment and computers/peripherals, in a standard office & computer lab environment
- May be required to lift/move up to 25 lbs. with assistance
- Fast-paced, schedule-driven environment
- Willing and able to work extended hours when necessary
Please note that this job description is not exhaustive and may besubject to changes or amendments to meet the evolving needs of thecompany. Thus, this position may include responsibilities or duties notspecifically stated, but which may be deemed necessary.
FreeWire offers competitive benefits, including:
- Health, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Unlimited PTO
- Dog Friendly
Weprovide compensation packages that include base pay, benefits, andequity, and it is not typical for someone to be hired at the top end ofthe range for the role. Actual pay will be determined based on severalfactors, including location, skills, and experience level.
AtFreeWire Technologies, we offer fair and equal opportunities to all ourcandidates and team members regardless of race, color, religion, sex,pregnancy, sexual identity, national origin, citizenship, maritalstatus, disability status, parental status, protected veteran status, orany other characteristics protected by law. FreeWire Technologiesbelieves in hiring individuals only based on their qualifications andexperiences that meet our business requirements to fill the positions.