Product Manager - SCADA & PPC
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2023
This is a San Francisco based position that is currently remote and will have a hybrid schedule once we return to office. We are open to candidates willing to relocate to the San Francisco Bay Area.
Geli (Growing Energy Labs, Inc.) provides software and business solutions to design, connect, and operate energy storage systems ranging in size from residential to utility-scale, as well as grid-tied, microgrid, and off-grid systems. Geli’s suite of products creates an ecosystem where project developers, OEMs, financiers, and project operators can deploy advanced energy projects using a seamless hardware-agnostic software platform.
Geli is a subsidiary of Hanwha Q CELLS, one of the world’s largest photovoltaic manufacturers most recognized for its high-performance, high-quality solar cells and modules.
Geli is committed to helping make the planet a cleaner, better place to live, both with our software products and through our everyday actions.
Imagine a world where there is less reliance on non-renewable power, where you source your electricity from your neighbors rather than from power stations hundreds of miles away and software makes the best possible use of the solar, wind, and battery storage available. This is our vision.
We are looking for enthusiastic colleagues that are not only fluent in technology, but also share our vision of a world running on 100% renewable energy.
The Product Manager - SCADA & PPC is responsible for definition of GELI’s product offering for power plant control and data acquisition systems specifically focused on utility scale storage and PV + storage applications. This position supports the creation of a new in-house PPC+SCADA offering utilizing existing control & communication architecture while leveraging ready-to-use providers in the space. This position will work closely with GELI’s control and software engineering team while supporting external stakeholders in System Integration and Project Development teams. This is a high-visibility, high-impact position in a fast-growing team with an opportunity to contribute to overall business strategy and product vision. The ideal candidate will be a motivated self-starter with demonstrated success in a consulting/advisory role for cross-functional teams.
- Define detailed features and functions for Utility scale PPC & SCADA solution including Plant control and DAS systems, Field network switches, communication modes & protocols
- Act as the subject matter expert for industry best practices, regulations, compliance, and standards around PPC/ SCADA- NERC CIP, NIST, NERC Mod, applicable IEC and IEEE standards
- Support the controls team in defining system architecture, partner & component selection
- Work closely with internal controls& software engineering to make “Build vs Buy” decisions
- Define the test and certification requirements for PPC and SCADA solutions
- Accelerate time to market by incorporating MVP (Min. Viable Product) approach
- Work closely with business teams to develop a MVP & subsequently for new product features
- Lead product lifecycle from inception to launch and manage subsequent market delivery
- Own long-term product roadmap, prioritization, and definition of product features
- This position has a primary focus on ERCOT, CAISO, and ISO NE markets and will eventually require an understanding of additional US ISOs / RTOs
- All other duties as assigned by Senior Management.
- Master’s Degree or higher in Power System, Electrical, Electronics, or Computer Engineering
- 10+ yrs. experience as a design engineer, applications engineer, and technical sales of PPC/SCADA
- 5 + yrs. experience interacting with SCADA engineers, Utilities, ISO’s, IPPs in the US market
- 3+yrs. product/ project management experience with PPC/SCADA products or deployment
- Field experience deploying Solar/ storage/ wind PPC & SCADA systems in the US market
- Strong understanding of network communication architectures, protocols, NERC standards
- Understanding of Power plant modeling tools and model creation in PSSE, PSCAD, or similar tool
- Familiarity with project lifecycle and contract structures for solar, storage, or renewable projects
- Product management experience and feature definition experience preferred
- Able to convert complex technical requirements into an actionable plan
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in pressure situations
- Demonstrated experience bringing successful Utility-scale products to the market in Solar, Wind, and/or Energy Storage.
- Passionate about solving customers’ problems and focused on product value to the customer.
- Focused on the ‘why’ and ‘what’ of the products and comfortable letting the Engineering team figure out how to deliver features.
- Self-starter and self-motivated leader working with a cross-functional team.
- Ideally have read:
- High EQ, IQ, and XQ
- Understands the value of hypotheses, experimentation, and learning.
- Leadership by example
- Strong work & teamwork ethic
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
We offer competitive compensation, comprehensive benefits, and a supportive work environment focused on innovation and professional growth.
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT GELI
Competitive salary commensurate with experience
Competitive benefits offerings
Conveniently accessible location in downtown San Francisco
Flexible work-from-home-office opportunities, as determined by the position and job duties
Cigna and Kaiser options - available by region
Cigna Dental (including orthodontic coverage) and vision plans, both have options with a $0 paycheck contribution
Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
Company Paid (Health Savings Account) HSA Contribution when enrolled in the High Deductible Cigna medical plan
Company-paid Basic Life, AD&D, short-term, and long-term disability insurance
Voluntary benefits include: critical illness, hospital indemnity, accident insurance
401(k) with a 4% employer match
3 weeks of paid Parental Leave
Sick time- 72 hours frontloaded per calendar year
Vacation time (Flex time), and 13 Paid Holidays
Health Advocate wellness and concierge services
Wellness programs with our benefits providers
Bereavement leave- 5 paid days
Make a difference: join a group of people who are passionate about renewable energy
Have an impact: the company is still small enough that everyone’s contribution has a significant impact on the success of the company
Many opportunities to lead teams, and projects, and contribute to development
Casual professional working environment: there’s no need to dress up, just present your best self
Work collaboratively in a diverse environment- we commit to reaching better decisions by respecting opinions and working through disagreements
We value the insights that a diverse team can bring. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in tech.
Growing Energy Labs, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics.