Senior HV Project Engineer
United States · Remote
Posted on Wednesday, March 8, 2023
Hanwha Q CELLS USA Corp (“HQC US”) develops, invests, and delivers solar photovoltaic (PV) and battery energy storage systems (BESS) projects through Engineering, Procurement, Construction (EPC) services in North America.
The company brings a decade of global leadership in solar PV to deliver utility-scale power generation plants customized for local and regional energy markets. HQC US offers the full spectrum of PV solutions – from the core technology of cells and modules to large-scale project development and investment. With proven capabilities across the solar and battery storage value chain, HQC US minimizes uncertainty and risk and helps customers achieve a higher return on their investment in renewable energy.
The Senior HV Project Engineer will provide engineering support to the E&C team, and is responsible for managing all stages of project design. This position reports to the Director of Engineering or another senior management personnel that the Senior Vice President/President of the Company may designate. This position may be expected to travel up to 30%.
- Manage all stages of project high voltage (HV) design, including conceptual and advanced system design, observing regulatory codes, customer requirements, site visits, permitting and technical support during construction phase;
- Design and optimize HV engineering concepts for utility scale PV plants such as substations, transmission and distribution lines. interconnection switch gear, power transformers
- Supervise PV plant interconnection in collaboration with the Project Manager during planning and construction to assure quality and execution according to schedule;
- Prepare bidding documentation for project specific HV works and HV equipment;
- Create, deliver, and maintain drawing packages and project documentation;
- Manage and coordinate external resources such as engineer consultants, geotechnical and topographic surveyors, other specialized professionals as needed in the design and commissioning of grid interconnection;
- Direct internal and external designers and consultants in creating, delivering and maintaining drawing packages and project documentation;
- Work collaboratively with other operations team members on project execution and process development including project procurement, construction management, and project controls;
- Develop and review project schedules, cost estimation, bill of materials, budgets, scopes of work, standards and quotes from suppliers and sub-contractors
- Provide supervision to HV commissioning work
- Coordinate with utilities and regulators for the interconnection process
- Provide recommendations for continuous improvements in project designs, plans, processes andproduct development;
- Lead the Project Engineering team in developing best practices for the HV engineering process ofutility scale PV plants
- Assist with technical training for team members and new employees;
- Collaborate with team members when necessary to ensure effective communication and results; and
- Perform other duties and special projects, as assigned.
- A degree in Electrical Engineering or another related engineering science
- Minimum of 10 years of professional engineering experience in the power industry
- Relevant work experience in the design and development of power plants
- Willingness to travel, at least 30% of the time
- Experience with AutoCAD (or equivalent)
- Experience with power modeling (preferably with ETAP)
- Strong in Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience with Gantt charts (MS Project or equivalent)
- Knowledge of relevant HV Codes and regulation
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Assertive, able to cope with pressure, a team player
- Previous experience managing projects from initial design to installation and execution, preferred
- Experience in permitting processes with local authorities having jurisdiction, preferred.
The above-listed salary range is required by the California Pay Transparency Act and may differ depending on the location of those candidates hired nationwide. The salary range shared in the job description is for the listed position and only pertains to the candidate if they work in Irvine, CA. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to internal pay equity, skill set, education, licenses and certifications, geographic location, essential job duties and requirements, and the necessary experience relative to the job’s minimum qualifications. An additional discretionary bonus structure or incentives may be offered as part of the overall compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, dental, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
· Stationary Position: frequently remains stationary up to 90% of the time and sitting up to 8 hours in a day
· Move/Traverse: infrequently bend, stand, stoop and/or walk
· Carry Weight: infrequently carry weight and/or lift objects (light to heavy) weighing up to 10 pounds
· Hearing and Speech: frequently communicates with the ability to hear and talk on a regular basis with employees, coworkers, and all personnel matters; must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations
· Sight: frequent use of sight to detect images on computer, office documents, and office objects near and far
· Climb: occasionally ascends/descends on stairway to get to office upper and lower floors
· Travel: review above travel requirement for this position
· Regular professional, office business setting
· Noise level ranges from low to moderate (if in office setting)
· Noise level ranges from moderate to high (if on construction worksite)
Hanwha Q Cells is proud to be an at-will Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination against race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship, disability, protected veteran status and any other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
We are committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, Hanwha Q Cells will provide reasonable accommodations to all qualified individuals with disabilities to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodations at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nothing in this statement shall imply implicitly or explicitly a guarantee of employment outside our at-will employment opportunity.