(C&I) Energy Storage System Electrical Engineer
United States · Remote
Posted on Sunday, April 2, 2023
Hanwha Q CELLS USA Corp (“HQC US”) develops, invests, and delivers solar photovoltaic (PV) and battery energy storage systems (BESS) projects through Engineering, Procurement, Construction (EPC) services in North America.
The company brings a decade of global leadership in solar PV to deliver utility-scale power generation plants customized for local and regional energy markets. HQC US offers the full spectrum of PV solutions – from the core technology of cells and modules to large-scale project development and investment. With proven capabilities across the solar and battery storage value chain, HQC US minimizes uncertainty and risk and helps customers achieve a higher return on their investment in renewable energy.
The Manager ESS Electrical Engineer will be responsible for the overall system design for the battery energy storage solution to support the development, design and deployment of energy storage facilities, both standalone and collocated with solar generation across the united states. This role will have hands-on experiences in product development engineering of energy storage systems.
This position reports to the Director of C&I Product engineering, or another management personnel that the president/senior president of the company may designate. The preference is to have this person located in Irvine, CA and working time are Monday through Friday, from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm or 9:00 am to 6:00 pm local time and is expected to travel up to 20%. This position is also open to being remote but may require travel up to 40% of the time to project sites, attend counterparty meetings and to visit the corporate office in Irvine, CA.
- Experience in developing energy storage products
- Provide expertise covering the battery, its power conversion system (PCS) and the util-ity/grid integration under a broad range of system events and operating conditions.
- Electrical design engineering on power and control systems of energy storage system and performing analysis on overall system.
- Developing conceptual design, configuration and document for battery storage system
- Hands on experience on UL 9540 process and corresponding technical requirements.
- Leading Electrical DFMEA and Single Line diagram/Power Line Diagram/Communication wiring diagram review and approval
- Electric component technical/commercial evaluation and selection
- Understanding of UL or related regulations (NFPA, NEC) for PCS and battery, BoS
- Perform system energy modeling and energy estimates using tools to ensure produc-tion targets are reasonable for both near term and long-term goals.
- Experience performing load, controller, protection and ampere capacity analysis, as well as project construction or equipment installation.
- Source and manage external consultants, partners, contractors, and vendors, including developing Scope-of-Work documents, managing RFP process, and controlling scope and schedule to obtain similar deliverables.
- Mainly working with BESS, coordinate work scope/tasks related with controller, SCADA, networking and BOS equipment manufacturers for alignment with customer and industry needs and standards.
- Stay up to date on applicable building, electrical, interconnection codes, suppliers, in-dustry best practices, new products and applications and apply to assigned projects.
- Bachelor Degree in electrical engineering or related discipline, Master’s preferred.
- 7+ years of professional work experience as an electrical engineer, systems engineer, or project engineer in the energy storage industry.
- Hands-on experience in BESS development, specifically at a Commercial/Industrial, or Utility scale
- Advanced proficiency in engineering software and energy modeling applications, such as AutoCAD, Microsoft Office tools
- Knowledge and capacity to apply NEC, building and AHJ code and rules on system de-sign
- Able to develop written/verbal work deliverables that are organized and appropriate to the respective audiences
- Can-do mentality, proactive working attitude, and hands-on approach
- Flexible, team-player, attention-to-detail and responsible working attitude
- Set up test process and implementing trouble shooting
- Strategic innovation and hands on experience on productization of energy storage system(ESS) products.
- Experience with leading battery supplier, product line-up and battery cell/Module/Rack/BMS
- Experience with development and design of Battery housing including HVAC, Fire sup-pression system, electric/mechanical, aux. power consumption.
- Understanding and knowledge of AC or DC-coupled solution
- Understanding customer technical requirement and clarification
- Understanding of use case of Battery storage system (Utility, C&I)
- Able to calculate Load calculation, fault current and select MCB, cable sizing, Trans-former specification, switch Gear specification.
- Able to design/review Microgrid forming systems and to integrate Gensets, PV and other power sources
- Understanding of TCP/IP Networks and Modbus communications would be an asset
- Experience with any industry Energy Management System hardware/software
- On Site experience installing and/or commissioning ESS / PV+BESS, understanding Site acceptance test process
The above-listed salary range is required by the California Pay Transparency Act and may differ depending on the location of those candidates hired nationwide. The salary range shared in the job description is for the listed position and only pertains to the candidate if they work in Irvine, CA. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to internal pay equity, skill set, education, licenses and certifications, geographic location, essential job duties and requirements, and the necessary experience relative to the job’s minimum qualifications. An additional discretionary bonus structure or incentives may be offered as part of the overall compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, dental, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
· Stationary Position: frequently remains stationary up to 90% of the time and sitting up to 8 hours in a day
· Move/Traverse: infrequently bend, stand, stoop and/or walk
· Carry Weight: infrequently carry weight and/or lift objects (light to heavy) weighing up to 10 pounds
· Hearing and Speech: frequently communicates with the ability to hear and talk on a regular basis with employees, coworkers, and all personnel matters; must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations
· Sight: frequent use of sight to detect images on computer, office documents, and office objects near and far
· Climb: occasionally ascends/descends on stairway to get to office upper and lower floors
· Travel: review above travel requirement for this position
· Regular professional, office business setting
· Noise level ranges from low to moderate (if in office setting)
· Noise level ranges from moderate to high (if on construction worksite)
Hanwha Q Cells is proud to be an at-will Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination against race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship, disability, protected veteran status and any other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
We are committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, Hanwha Q Cells will provide reasonable accommodations to all qualified individuals with disabilities to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodations at email@example.com.
Nothing in this statement shall imply implicitly or explicitly a guarantee of employment outside our at-will employment opportunity.
See more open positions at Geli
Something looks off?