Sr. Power Electronics Engineer
Santa Clara, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, April 7, 2023
Hanwha Q CELLS Co., Ltd., is one of the world´s largest and most recognized photovoltaic manufacturers for its high-performance, high-quality solar cells and modules. It is headquar-tered in Seoul, South Korea (Global Executive HQ) and Talheim, Germany (Technology & In-novation HQ). Through its growing global business network spanning Europe, North America, Asia, South America, Africa and the Middle East, the company provides excellent services and long-term partnership to its customers in the utility, commercial, government and resi-dential markets. Hanwha Q CELLS is a flagship company of Hanwha Group, a FORTUNE Glob-al 500 firm and a Top 7 business enterprise in South Korea.
Our mission is to provide affordable and smart energy solutions through technology and innovation to create a sustainable future for the planet. We are expanding our business by offering revolutionary energy systems to residential customers including ESS, MLPE (power optimizers, micro-inverters), EV charging solutions, and Smart IoT with world-class solutions.
The ideal candidate for the position is someone who has experience with power electronics development and can own product development through all stages of conception, prototype, and productization. In this role, you will work closely with a talented engineering team in a fast-paced environment to apply emerging technologies in innovative ways to rapidly produce new products.
- Lead power electronics design in support of new product development.
- Work effectively with cross-functional teams to resolve early (architectural) and late (lab, test & validation) on fast timelines.
- Design and implement DC/DC, AC/DC and DC/AC conversion circuitry
- Perform hardware bring-up and integration of power electronics circuits and modules and support power conversion systems hardware/software integration
- Lead collaboration with 3rd party partners
- Bachelor of Science (BS) or Master of Science (MS) degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university.
- Minimum of 7 years of industry or university research experience in power electronics design, analysis, test, and troubleshooting. More experienced candidates are also encouraged to apply.
- Architect and design high power dc and ac systems for PV power system, EV chargers, and power storage systems.
- Design and develop advanced soft switching from sub KW to tens of KWs at voltage range 100V to 1KV.
- Responsible for all aspects of product design, including modelling, key component selection, schematic capture, PCB layout, code development, magnetics design, thermal design, regulatory and compliance considerations, DFM.
- Utilize power topologies such at LLC, phase shifted full bridge, flyback, forward, multi-level converters including PFC (single phase and three phase) and associated techniques such as ZVS/ZCS.
- Model power designs using analysis tools such as PSIM, Matlab and spice.
- Create designs based on both off the shelf integrated circuit controllers, FPGAs / PLDs and DSP digital control using embedded software development experience.
- Strong experience in feedback loop controllers and their stability and performance optimization
- •Plan and implement HW verification during product development, to ensure the electrical design meets specifications and requirements, by recording and analyzing test data.
- Extensive industry experience designing successful power electronics products from concept through schematic, layout, manufacturing, test, and deployment.
- Expertise in power circuit analysis, such as worst-case circuit analysis, failure method effectivity and criticality, and reliability.
- Expert-level proficiency in electronics design (EDA) tools such as Altium.
- Expert-level proficiency in PCB layout for power circuits.
- Experience with power integrity simulation tools such as Ansys or ADS.
- Extensive hands-on experience with lab instruments such as oscilloscopes, RLC analyzers, impedance analyzers, spectrum analyzers, electronic (AC/DC) loads, and signal/power generators.
- Ability to analyze and optimize circuits and designs for cost.
- Demonstrated self-starter with the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced global automotive design and manufacturing environment.
- Demonstrated the ability to transition from theoretical to implementation-based thinking
- Very strong analytical skills and detail-oriented.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Master's or PhD in power electronics.
- Experience in renewable product development
- Experience with full product development process including EMI/EMC testing, certification processes, failure analysis, etc.
- Experience working with x-functional teams: mechanical, software, and test.
- Knowledge of industry standards such as UL 1741, IEEE 1547 and NEC codefor renewable energy is a plus.
- Design of high frequency DC/DC converters utilizing Wide Bandgap Semiconductor devices, particularly GaN and Silicon Carbide FETs in addition to high efficiency MOSFETs.
- Experience with Size Weight, Power optimization and cost reduction.
- Experience with integrated components and small form factor magnetics.
- Experience studying emerging technologies and applying them in innovative ways.
- Some travel is expected.
PHYSICAL, MENTAL & ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS:
To comply with the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the essential physical, mental, and environmental requirements for this job are listed below. These are requirements normally expected to perform regular job duties. Incumbents must successfully perform all job functions with or without reasonable accommodation.
Standing 20% of the time
Sitting 70% of the time
Walking 10% of the time
Pulling up to 10 Pounds
Pushing up to 10 Pounds
Carrying up to 10 Pounds
Lifting up to 10 Pounds
Dexterity (F = Frequently, O = Occasionally, N = Never)
Agility (F = Frequently, O = Occasionally, N = Never)