Power Electronics Engineer
Santa Clara, CA, USA
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2023
Hanwha Q CELLS Co., Ltd., is one of the world´s largest and most recognized photovoltaic manufacturers for its high-performance, high-quality solar cells and modules. It is headquartered in Seoul, South Korea (Global Executive HQ) and Talheim, Germany (Technology & Innovation HQ). Through its growing global business network spanning Europe, North America, Asia, South America, Africa, and the Middle East, the company provides excellent services and long-term partnerships to its customers in the utility, commercial, government, and residential markets. Hanwha Q CELLS is a flagship company of Hanwha Group, a FORTUNE Global 500 firm and a Top 7 business enterprise in South Korea.
Our mission is to provide affordable and smart energy solutions through technology and innovation to create a sustainable future for the planet. We are expanding our business by offering revolutionary energy systems to residential customers including ESS, MLPE (power optimizers, micro-inverters), EV charging solutions, and Smart IoT with world-class solutions.
The ideal candidate for the position is someone who has experience with power electronics development and can own product development through all stages of conception, prototype, and productization. Specifically, you will focus on specifying, designing, and optimizing the magnetic components (transformers and inductors). In this role, you will work closely with a talented engineering team in a fast-paced environment to apply emerging technologies in innovative ways to rapidly produce new products.
- Lead power electronics design in support of new product development.
- Work effectively with cross-functional teams to resolve early (architectural) and late (lab, test & validation) on fast timelines
- Design and implement DC/DC, AC/DC, and DC/AC conversion circuits focusing on the magnetics used in these circuits
- Perform hardware bring-up and integration of power electronics circuits and modules and support power conversion systems hardware/software integration
- Lead collaboration with 3rd party partners
- Bachelor of Science (BS) or Master of Science (MS) degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university
- Minimum of 4 years of industry or university research experience in power electronics design, analysis, testing, and troubleshooting
- More experienced candidates are also encouraged to apply
- Architect and design high power dc and ac systems for PV power systems, EV chargers, and power storage systems
- Design and develop advanced soft switching from sub-KW to tens of KWs at a voltage range of 100V to 1KV
- Responsible for all aspects of product design, including specification, modeling, material selection, thermal design, regulatory and compliance considerations, and DFM
- Experience with Size Weight and Power optimization.
- Experience with integrated components and small form factor magnetics
- Hands-on experience with building high-frequency inductors and transformers as well as working closely with vendors to build prototypes as well as mass production
- Experience with magnetic field simulation using packages such as Maxwell Ansys
- Model power designs using analysis tools such as PSIM, Matlab, and Spice. Expertise in power circuit analysis, such as worst-case circuit analysis, failure method effectivity and criticality, and reliability
- Proficiency in electronics design (EDA) tools such as Altium
- Proficiency in PCB layout for power circuits
- Extensive hands-on experience with lab instruments such as oscilloscopes, RLC analyzers, impedance analyzers, spectrum analyzers, electronic (AC/DC) loads, and signal/power generators
- Ability to analyze and optimize circuits and designs for cost
- Demonstrated self-starter with the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced global automotive design and manufacturing environment
- Demonstrated the ability to transition from theoretical to implementation-based thinking
- Very strong analytical skills and detail-oriented
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Master or Ph.D. in Power Electronics
- Experience in renewable product development
- Experience in designing magnetics for power topologies such as LLC, phase-shifted full bridge, flyback, forward, and multi-level converters including PFC (single phase and three phases) and associated techniques such as ZVS/ZCS
- Experience with the full product development process including EMI/EMC testing, certification processes, failure analysis, etc.
- Prior experience in designing and building power magnetics running at high (several hundreds of kHz) switching frequency
- Knowledge of industry standards such as UL 1741, and IEEE 1547 for renewable energy is a plus
- Experience studying emerging technologies and applying them in innovative ways
- Some travel is expected
PHYSICAL, MENTAL & ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS:
To comply with the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the essential physical, mental, and environmental requirements for this job are listed below. These are requirements normally expected to perform regular job duties. Incumbents must successfully perform all job functions with or without reasonable accommodation.
Standing 20% of the time
Sitting70% of the time
Walking10% of the time
Pulling up to 10 Pounds
Pushing up to 10 Pounds
Carrying up to 10 Pounds
Lifting up to 10 Pounds
Dexterity (F = Frequently, O = Occasionally, N = Never)
Agility (F = Frequently, O = Occasionally, N = Nev-er)
Dexterity (F = Frequently, O = Occasionally, N = Never)