Irvine, CA, USA
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2023
Hanwha Q CELLS USA Corp (“HQC US”) develops, invests, and delivers solar photovoltaic (PV) and battery energy storage systems (BESS) projects through Engineering, Procurement, Construction (EPC) services in North America.
The company brings a decade of global leadership in solar PV to deliver utility-scale power generation plants customized for local and regional energy markets. HQC US offers the full spectrum of PV solutions – from the core technology of cells and modules to large-scale project development and investment. With proven capabilities across the solar and battery storage value chain, HQC US minimizes uncertainty and risk and helps customers achieve a higher return on their investment in renewable energy.
The Development Engineer will provide engineering support to the Development team andis responsible for all technical aspects of project development. This position reports to the Director of Development Engineering or another senior management personnel that the Senior Vice President/President of the Company may designate. This position may be expected to travel up to 30%.
- Interconnection Support
- Lead assessment of the feasibility and the risks of Project Development opportunities;
- Provide engineering and technical support to Development team for all utility and ISO interconnection application package development work;
- Provide support for GIRs during late-stage development, particularly coordinating requirements and deliverables related to LGIAs.
- Regularly liaise with Engineering team members to gather all necessary data for utility interconnection studies;
- Review engineering data from external vendors (such as inverters, battery, transformers etc.) and liaise with them to comply with utility interconnection requirements and standards;
- Interact with external vendors for technology discussions (such as inverters, batteries etc.);
- Regularly participate in all utility and ISO meetings for development pipeline project discussions throughout the interconnection study process and address engineering
- matters as needed to ensure timely completion of all interconnection studies and LGIA execution;
- Create, review and maintain drawing packages, energy production models, bills of materials, scopes of work and other technical project documentation.
- Project Development Support
- Manage the technical needs in all stages of project development and design, including conceptual and detailed system design deliverables, observing regulatory codes as well as requirements of other stakeholders, specify balance of systems, perform site visits, coordinate needs for the permitting and technical support during the construction phase;
- Coordinate external resources such as structural, civil and electrical engineer consultants, geotechnical and topographic surveyors, other specialized professionals as needed and suppliers; Understand and coordinate site studies to be completed at various stages of project development.
- Assist in the development and review of project schedules, cost estimation, bill of materials, budgets, scopes of work, standards and quotes from equipment suppliers, and coordinate late-stage Development deliverables with other internal functions such as EPC Engineering, Procurement, Construction, and Systems Integration teams.
- Provide recommendations for continuous improvements in project designs, plans, processes; understand and perform various optimization strategies for PV Projects, and how to apply these optimizations at different stages during development.
- Prepare conceptual design for solar projects including selection of major components, equipment layouts, single-line diagrams, etc.;
- Perform energy generation modeling for solar projects using PV Syst and other tools, including energy production and cost sensitivity modeling;
- Perform other duties and special projects, as assigned.
- A degree in Electrical Engineering (with emphasis on Power Systems), or another related engineering science
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of professional engineering experience in the solar industry
- Relevant work experience in the design and development of power plants (in particular solar or wind power plants)
- Willingness to travel, at least 15% of the time
- Experience with AutoCAD (or equivalent)
- Experience with photovoltaic performance modeling tools (preferably PVSyst)
- Strong in Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience with Gantt charts (MS Project or equivalent)
- Knowledge of the National Electric Code
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Assertive, able to cope with pressure, a team player
- Previous experience managing projects from initial design to installation and execution, preferred
- Experience in permitting processes with local authorities having jurisdiction, preferred.
The above-listed salary range is required by the California Pay Transparency Act and may differ depending on the location of those candidates hired nationwide. The salary range shared in the job description is for the listed position and only pertains to the candidate if they work in Irvine, CA. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to internal pay equity, skill set, education, licenses and certifications, geographic location, essential job duties and requirements, and the necessary experience relative to the job’s minimum qualifications. An additional discretionary bonus structure or incentives may be offered as part of the overall compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, dental, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
· Stationary Position: frequently remains stationary up to 90% of the time and sitting up to 8 hours in a day
· Move/Traverse: infrequently bend, stand, stoop and/or walk
· Carry Weight: infrequently carry weight and/or lift objects (light to heavy) weighing up to 10 pounds
· Hearing and Speech: frequently communicates with the ability to hear and talk on a regular basis with employees, coworkers, and all personnel matters; must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations
· Sight: frequent use of sight to detect images on computer, office documents, and office objects near and far
· Climb: occasionally ascends/descends on stairway to get to office upper and lower floors
· Travel: review above travel requirement for this position
· Regular professional, office business setting
· Noise level ranges from low to moderate (if in office setting)
· Noise level ranges from moderate to high (if on construction worksite)
Hanwha Q Cells is proud to be an at-will Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination against race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship, disability, protected veteran status and any other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this statement shall imply implicitly or explicitly a guarantee of employment outside our at-will employment opportunity.