ESS Data Analyst
IT, Data Science
United States · Remote
Posted on Saturday, May 6, 2023
Hanwha Q CELLS USA Corp (“HQC US”) develops, invests, and delivers solar photovoltaic (PV) and battery energy storage systems (BESS) projects through Engineering, Procurement, Construction (EPC) services in North America.
The company brings a decade of global leadership in solar PV to deliver utility-scale power generation plants customized for local and regional energy markets. HQC US offers the full spectrum of PV solutions – from the core technology of cells and modules to large-scale project development and investment. With proven capabilities across the solar and battery storage value chain, HQC US minimizes uncertainty and risk and helps customers achieve a higher return on their investment in renewable energy.
This position reports to the Director of SI Applications, or another management personnel that the President/ Vice President of the Company may designate. This position is located in Irvine, CA and working hours are Monday through Friday, from 8:00am to 5:00pm or 9:00am to 6:00pm local time. This position is expected to travel up to 25%.
- Identify and optimize revenue forecast for solar plus storage and standalone storage systems based on a variety of use cases. This includes analysis of sizing, degradation, augmentation strategy, key performance metrics, and costs.
- Work with Project Development and Project Finance team members to optimize designs and proposed solutions given utility-specific data such as energy and capacity value heat maps and historical prices.
- Planning and coordinate external resources such as Revenue forecasting consultant, battery/PCS OEM, EMS and dispatching optimization provider.
- Handling and managing the database for time series ESS revenue forecast and battery performance
- Data analytics for ESS revenue and battery performance to make optimal algorithm for ESS revenue dispatching as well as verification of long-term energy price forecast
- Verify algorithms provided by Geli or others for charge and discharge operating parameters, based on detailed analysis of system data and use case constraints.
- Build and develop Qcells utility BESS model integrated with sizing tool, revenue database, system design tool, cost database, financial model and etc.
- Provide accurate inputs to financial models to support the development of competitive proposals to customers.
- Support the development and continuous improvement of in-house modeling tools and processes. This includes software feature development, issue triage, and documentation.
- Support the development of internal- and external-facing presentations and regular/non-regular reports.
Qualifications & Experience
- Minimum of 2 year or more of experience of energy related projects
- Minimum of 1 year or more experience of data analytics and/or data science related works
- Python or similar tools and Excel Visual Basic for data analysis and modeling skills required . This includes familiarity with libraries such as Pandas, Seaborn, Bokeh, and Scikit-learn
- Proficient in Excel for data analysis.
- Working knowledge of energy storage technology fundamentals.
- Excellent communication skills with ability to explain ESS control strategy and present data analysis and simulation results to non-technical internal stakeholders and customers.
- Ability to collaborate and interact with suppliers, customers, and other project team members in cross-functional teams.
- Experience with energy storage operations data, energy storage degradation modeling, or wholesale market participation, preferred
- Knowledge of utility generation, transmission, and distribution systems, specifically with regards to the interactions of large scale solar and wind on the utility system, preferred.
- Willingness to travel, at least 25% of the time
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Assertive, able to cope with pressure, a team player
- BS in Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Data Analysis, Statistics, Physics or equivalent.
- MS in above disciplines preferred.
The above-listed salary range is required by the California Pay Transparency Act and may differ depending on the location of those candidates hired nationwide. The salary range shared in the job description is for the listed position and only pertains to the candidate if they work in Irvine, CA. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to internal pay equity, skill set, education, licenses and certifications, geographic location, essential job duties and requirements, and the necessary experience relative to the job’s minimum qualifications. An additional discretionary bonus structure or incentives may be offered as part of the overall compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, dental, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
· Stationary Position: frequently remains stationary up to 90% of the time and sitting up to 8 hours in a day
· Move/Traverse: infrequently bend, stand, stoop and/or walk
· Carry Weight: infrequently carry weight and/or lift objects (light to heavy) weighing up to 10 pounds
· Hearing and Speech: frequently communicates with the ability to hear and talk on a regular basis with employees, coworkers, and all personnel matters; must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations
· Sight: frequent use of sight to detect images on computer, office documents, and office objects near and far
· Climb: occasionally ascends/descends on stairway to get to office upper and lower floors
· Travel: review above travel requirement for this position
· Regular professional, office business setting
· Noise level ranges from low to moderate (if in office setting)
· Noise level ranges from moderate to high (if on construction worksite)
Hanwha Q Cells is proud to be an at-will Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination against race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship, disability, protected veteran status and any other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this statement shall imply implicitly or explicitly a guarantee of employment outside our at-will employment opportunity.