Solar Engineering EPC Proposal Manager
United States · Remote
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2023
Hanwha Q CELLS USA Corp (“HQC US”) develops, invests, and delivers solar photovoltaic (PV) and battery energy storage systems (BESS) projects through Engineering, Procurement, Construction (EPC) services in North America.
The company brings a decade of global leadership in solar PV to deliver utility-scale power generation plants customized for local and regional energy markets. HQC US offers the full spectrum of PV solutions – from the core technology of cells and modules to large-scale project development and investment. With proven capabilities across the solar and battery storage value chain, HQC US minimizes uncertainty and risk and helps customers achieve a higher return on their investment in renewable energy.
The Solar Engineering EPC Proposal Manager is responsible for the commercial and technical management of the Utility-scale solar EPC proposals. This role will work with teams including engineering, cost management, and other specialized services to ensure that the proposal is developed within the Customer's Request for Proposal (RFP) guidelines and specifications received and be consistent with our company's strategy, commitments, and goals; as well as those of the Customer. The Solar Engineering EPC Proposal Manager oversees all aspects of proposals, including the preliminary design, project specifications, proposal budget, commercial and technical offer, schedule, customer, subcontractor relations, and maintaining execution/sales team communications and relationships. This position reports to the Director of Proposal, or another management personnel that the President of the Company may designate. This position is located in Irvine, CA and working hours are Monday through Friday, from 8:00am to 5:00pm or 9:00am to 6:00pm local time. Overtime and weekend working hours may be required as needed. This position is expected to travel up to 20%.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTION & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for all proposal activities
- Develops system designs and proposals for Utility-Scale projects to determine proposal feasibility and ensure competitiveness in the EPC market.
- Analyzes and interprets Requests for Information (RFIs), Requests for Qualifications (RFQs), and Requests for Proposal (RFPs); Establishes deliverable matrix and development schedule
- Develops and manages the proposal schedule and maintains overall proposals scope of work
- Discover and understand customers’ primary business goals, operations, challenges, and requirements.
- Manages proposal development and submittal for Utility-scale solar projects, including coordination and development of technical, commercial, and development aspects and pricing.
- Prepare and ensure on-time delivery of high-quality, detailed, and comprehensive technical and commercial proposals that are compliant with solicitation requirements and responsive to the interests of relevant stakeholders.
- Develops, edits, and writes original proposal responses and other EPC-related documents.
- Supports the development of business cases for Utility-scale solar EPC projects, including the evaluation and tactics to develop a robust, holistic portfolio of proposals that maximize opportunities for success.
- Displays a high level of critical thinking in successfully resolving high-impact, complex, and cross-functional problems.
- Understands the Utility-scale EPC market as it relates to customer requirements, opportunities, and competition
- Must be able to work with confidential information and ensure the security of this information
- Perform other duties and special projects, as reasonably assigned by supervisor, project manager, and/or group unit.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Engineering
- Licensed Professional Engineer highly preferred
- 6+ years of relevant professional experience in proposal development, Photovoltaic system & BESS design, Project Engineering, and Construction Management
- Strong understanding of Project Engineering, Pre-Construction project management, Procurement, and Construction processes/procedures
- Ability to review RFP documents and identify risks and concerns
- Strong familiarity with proposal management practices, methods, and techniques is required
- Ability to communicate eﬀectively with audiences that include but are not limited to management, coworkers, clients, vendors, contractors, and other stakeholders
- Experience with complex project delivery, demonstrated business acumen in balancing customer and business requirements, i.e., financials, strategic and tactical thinking, etc.
- Inherent ability to work effectively in a team environment and strong desire to win
- Track record of relevant professional experience in projects involving Utility-scale solar energy, including management of proposals and leading work within business development projects.
- Experience scheduling, resource planning, and project delivery.
- AutoCAD proficiency required.
- PVSyst knowledge required, ability to use PVSyst preferred.
- Strong understanding of the Utility-scale solar EPC market, including cost drivers and key risks and opportunities, is preferred.
- Self-directed with ability to work independently and effectively lead multiple projects in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with proven ability to communicate with cross-functional teams at multiple levels of the organization
- Advanced computer skills - MS Excel, Word, Power Point, data management or visualization tools
- PV module energy yield simulation, Layout, and other technical documentation skills are highly preferred
- Strong project management skills and can manage scope, meet timelines, and present insights to senior leaders within the organization
- Certified Project Manager Professional (PMP)
SALARY RANGE FOR POSITION
The anticipated starting pay range of this position, which is to be located in Irvine, CA is $125,000.00 - $145,000.00 base salary per year.
The above-listed salary range is required by the California Pay Transparency Act and may differ depending on the location of those candidates hired nationwide. The salary range shared in the job description is for the listed position and only pertains to the candidate if they work in Irvine, CA. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to internal pay equity, skill set, education, licenses and certifications, geographic location, essential job duties and requirements, and the necessary experience relative to the job’s minimum qualifications. An additional discretionary bonus structure or incentives may be offered as part of the overall compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, dental, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
· Stationary Position: frequently remains stationary up to 90% of the time and sitting up to 8 hours in a day
· Move/Traverse: infrequently bend, stand, stoop and/or walk
· Carry Weight: infrequently carry weight and/or lift objects (light to heavy) weighing up to 10 pounds
· Hearing and Speech: frequently communicates with the ability to hear and talk on a regular basis with employees, coworkers, and all personnel matters; must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations
· Sight: frequent use of sight to detect images on computer, office documents, and office objects near and far
· Climb: occasionally ascends/descends on stairway to get to office upper and lower floors
· Travel: review above travel requirement for this position
· Regular professional, office business setting
· Noise level ranges from low to moderate (if in office setting)
· Noise level ranges from moderate to high (if on construction worksite)
Hanwha Q Cells is proud to be an at-will Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination against race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship, disability, protected veteran status and any other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this statement shall imply implicitly or explicitly a guarantee of employment outside our at-will employment opportunity.