Senior ESS Engineer
United States · Remote
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2023
Hanwha Q CELLS USA Corp (“HQC US”) develops, invests, and delivers solar photovoltaic (PV) and battery energy storage systems (BESS) projects through Engineering, Procurement, Construction (EPC) services in North America.
The company brings a decade of global leadership in solar PV to deliver utility-scale power generation plants customized for local and regional energy markets. HQC US offers the full spectrum of PV solutions – from the core technology of cells and modules to large-scale project development and investment. With proven capabilities across the solar and battery storage value chain, HQC US minimizes uncertainty and risk and helps customers achieve a higher return on their investment in renewable energy.
The Senior BESS Engineer will be the subject matter expert in the R&D division supporting the EPC Group. This position reports to the Senior Director of R&D or another senior management personnel that the Vice President and/or President of the Company may designate. This position may be remote and expected to travel up to 20%.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTION & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for researching all engineering and technical aspects of electrical long duration storage systems
- Perform advanced solar energy analysis including, measurement, prediction and calculations required for the layout and energy production estimates
- Establish and maintain the electrical engineering and design criteria used on all applicable engineering standards and specifications
- Think critically about how to improve systems and stack design with emphasis on performance, reliability, durability, and cost
- Work with electrical engineering, consultants when needed to ensure consistent criteria, cost effective designs and timely delivery
- Support the regulatory and permitting process of projects in areas of electrical engineering
- Execute cost reduction projects to improve LCOE
- Propose cell stack designs that meet LCOE, schedule, and technical requirements
- Support business case development and establish a product roadmap for the flow battery system
- Record appropriate data, analyze and report the results
- Work closely with Development, Engineering, Construction and Consultants to optimize layouts and EPE’s
- Provide accurate solar energy analyses and estimates to ensure site suitability and cost-effective power performance
- Support technical elements of RFIs/RFPs
- Present modeling results, new technology research, and even basic battery science to a diverse audience of peers, management, and other departments.
- Characterizing, and evaluating materials from various suppliers
- Review scientific literature on energy storage technologies
- Regular attendance, in accordance with company's attendance policy and supervisory assignment, is an essential job duty requirement for this position
- Minimum of 8 years of proven engineering experience in flow battery projects
- Minimum of 5 years of solar industry experience preferred
- Possess a bachelor’s degree in electrical, chemical, or material science; Professional Engineering licensure is a plus
- Minimum of five (5) years in electrochemistry and minimum of five (5) years in a research and development industry.
- Working understanding of automated cell test software.
- Proven experience and knowledge of lithium-ion cells.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Have strong knowledge of electrical standards (UL/IEEE) and National Electrical Code and California Building Code, plus U.S. utility interconnection standards.
- Have demonstrated the ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Have demonstrated proficiency with AutoCAD.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Suite including Excel, Word and Outlook
The above-listed salary range is required by the California Pay Transparency Act and may differ depending on the location of those candidates hired nationwide. The salary range shared in the job description is for the listed position and only pertains to the candidate if they work in Irvine, CA. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to internal pay equity, skill set, education, licenses and certifications, geographic location, essential job duties and requirements, and the necessary experience relative to the job’s minimum qualifications. An additional discretionary bonus structure or incentives may be offered as part of the overall compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, dental, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
· Stationary Position: frequently remains stationary up to 90% of the time and sitting up to 8 hours in a day
· Move/Traverse: infrequently bend, stand, stoop and/or walk
· Carry Weight: infrequently carry weight and/or lift objects (light to heavy) weighing up to 10 pounds
· Hearing and Speech: frequently communicates with the ability to hear and talk on a regular basis with employees, coworkers, and all personnel matters; must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations
· Sight: frequent use of sight to detect images on computer, office documents, and office objects near and far
· Climb: occasionally ascends/descends on stairway to get to office upper and lower floors
· Travel: review above travel requirement for this position
· Regular professional, office business setting
· Noise level ranges from low to moderate (if in office setting)
· Noise level ranges from moderate to high (if on construction worksite)
Hanwha Q Cells is proud to be an at-will Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination against race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship, disability, protected veteran status and any other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this statement shall imply implicitly or explicitly a guarantee of employment outside our at-will employment opportunity.