Senior Manager, Control Systems
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2023
Geli (Growing Energy Labs, Inc.) provides software and business solutions to design, connect, and operate energy storage systems ranging in size from residential to utility-scale, as well as grid-tied, microgrid, and off-grid systems. Geli’s suite of products creates an ecosystem where project developers, OEMs, financiers, and project operators can deploy advanced energy projects using a seamless hardware-agnostic software platform.
Geli is a subsidiary of Hanwha Q CELLS, one of the world’s largest photovoltaic manufacturers most recognized for its high-performance, high-quality solar cells and modules.
Geli is committed to helping make the planet a cleaner, better place to live, both with our software products and through our everyday actions.
Imagine a world where there is less reliance on non-renewable power, where you source your electricity from your neighbors rather than from power stations hundreds of miles away and software makes the best possible use of the solar, wind, and battery storage available. This is our vision.
We are looking for enthusiastic colleagues who are not only fluent in technology but also share our vision of a world running on 100% renewable energy.
Intelligent control software is our highest priority at Geli/Qcell to lead the way with our complete energy solutions for a sustainable world. As a Qcell/Geli engineering leader you will help our customers reduces energy costs and create new revenue streams while maximizing the value of solar, wind, and energy storage assets.
Join our organization as the Sr. Manager of the Control System and lead our team in delivering advanced control systems. Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or a related field. Master's degree preferred
- Large renewable energy and power systems project management and construction experience
- Strong utility and C&I customer engagement
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in geographically distributed engineering team management
- Proven track record of successfully leading and managing engineering teams
System Design Expertise:
- Extensive knowledge and experience in the design and development of control software systems for distributed automation and energy optimization applications
- Proficiency in software development lifecycle management on both edge and cloud
- Familiarity with cloud-enabled software-defined system/utility distribution architecture
- Knowledge of industrial communication protocols like OPC, Modbus, Profibus, and Ethernet/IP
- Familiarity in Plug-N-play device driver development to integrate multiple hardware such as inverters, meters, and others
- Have experience to integrate and optimal control of energy systems including Solar (PV), Energy Storage (e.g., Battery), and other devices
- Familiarity with HMI (Human-Machine Interface) systems and their integration with embedded controllers
- Experience in developing control algorithms and implementing closed-loop control systems with cloud communication.
- A general understanding of ERCOT, CAISO, and ISO NE markets will eventually require an understanding of additional US ISOs / RTOs
- Act as the subject matter expert for industry best practices, regulations, compliance, and standards around PPC/SCADA, NERC CIP, NIST, NERC Mod, applicable IEC and IEEE standards
- Experience with IoT-style infrastructure including OTA update, device management, fleet management, and cyber security
- Experience with protocols such as SEP 2.0 and OpenADR
Leadership and Project Management:
- Understanding of matrix environment and stakeholder management including sales, product management, and program management
- Proven leadership skills in managing and mentoring engineering teams, providing technical guidance, and fostering a collaborative work environment
- Strong project management skills, including the ability to plan and execute projects within specified timelines and budgets
- Demonstrated experience in coordinating with cross-functional teams, including hardware, software, and testing teams, to ensure successful project delivery
- Ability to effectively communicate complex technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
Problem-Solving and Innovation:
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities, with strong attention to detail
- Creative thinking and the ability to identify innovative solutions for complex engineering challenges
- Up-to-date knowledge of emerging trends, technologies, and best practices in the field of embedded systems and automation control
Communication and Documentation:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to articulate ideas and concepts clearly and effectively.
- Proficiency in managing the quality of technical documentation, including specifications, design documents, and test plans.
- Desired Bi-Lingual Skills: Strong written and communication skills in Korean along with English.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
We offer competitive compensation, comprehensive benefits, and a supportive work environment focused on innovation and professional growth.
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT GELI
Competitive salary commensurate with experience
Competitive benefits offerings
Conveniently accessible location in downtown San Francisco
Flexible work-from-home-office opportunities, as determined by the position and job duties
Cigna and Kaiser options - available by region
Cigna Dental (including orthodontic coverage) and vision plans, both have options with a $0 paycheck contribution
Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
Company Paid (Health Savings Account) HSA Contribution when enrolled in the High Deductible Cigna medical plan
Company-paid Basic Life, AD&D, short-term, and long-term disability insurance
Voluntary benefits include: critical illness, hospital indemnity, accident insurance
401(k) with a 4% employer match
3 weeks of paid Parental Leave
Sick time- 72 hours frontloaded per calendar year
Vacation time (Flex time), and 13 Paid Holidays
Health Advocate wellness and concierge services
Wellness programs with our benefits providers
Bereavement leave- 5 paid days
Make a difference: join a group of people who are passionate about renewable energy
Have an impact: the company is still small enough that everyone’s contribution has a significant impact on the success of the company
Many opportunities to lead teams, and projects, and contribute to development
Casual professional working environment: there’s no need to dress up, just present your best self
Work collaboratively in a diverse environment- we commit to reaching better decisions by respecting opinions and working through disagreements
We value the insights that a diverse team can bring. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in tech.
Growing Energy Labs, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics.