Interconnection Data Scientist
United States · Remote
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2023
Hanwha Q CELLS USA Corp (“HQC US”) develops, invests, and delivers solar photovoltaic (PV) and battery energy storage systems (BESS) projects through Engineering, Procurement, Construction (EPC) services in North America.
The company brings a decade of global leadership in solar PV to deliver utility-scale power generation plants customized for local and regional energy markets. HQC US offers the full spectrum of PV solutions – from the core technology of cells and modules to large-scale project development and investment. With proven capabilities across the solar and battery storage value chain, HQC US minimizes uncertainty and risk and helps customers achieve a higher return on their investment in renewable energy.
Qcells is looking for an experienced data scientist with experience in energy forecasting. This position will lead thedevelopment oflong-termenergy time series probabilistic forecasting tool to facilitate our long-term utility scaled renewable revenue forecast in different markets. As anInterconnection Data Scientist, you would haveopportunities to collaborate with subcontractors and other data scientist to refine the forecast methodology and integration with other internal tools.
We are looking for a motivated self-starter that thrives in a dynamic environment. A strong work ethic with excellent problem-solving skills are equally important as being a team player who enjoys to learn and teach.
This position reports to the Transmission Planning Manager or Vice President of Interconnection. This position may be expected to travel up to 20%.
Essential Job Functions & Responsibilities
- Lead the development of our time series probabilistic forecasting algorithms.
- Work to continuously improve model performance and debug where necessary.
- Benchmarking forecast performance across various load and renewable profiles, fuel prices, and policy scenarios.
- Collaborate with other teams within Qcells and external consultant to assess how forecasts can be adjusted for various economic objectives.
- Integrating the forecasting tool into our other forecasting models/tools and dispatch optimization tools to create a robust number for Project Finance department.
- Proactively identify opportunities within Qcells that can benefit from data science analysis and present those findings.
- Write SQL API code to get historical data from ISO/RTO for benchmarking purpose, including congestion, demand, LMP, import/export, generation, and outages.
- Gather other public or private (subscription) forecast data to provide insights.
- Provide subject-expertise to review external consultant work for other energy related forecast.
- A degree in Electrical engineering and/or Master’s preferred.
- 3+ years of industry experience developing, supporting, and deploying forecasting models for energy applications.
- Expertise in Data Science language such as Python, Matlab and R.
- Database skill in SQL.
- Experience with Python libraries for numerical methods and timeseries data.
- Strong background in linear algebra and statistics.
- Experience communicating / working with utilities, consulting firms, and ISO/RTOs
- Machine Learning related experience is desired.
- Experience in energy / utility or related markets is desirable but not necessary.
- Willingness to travel, up to 20% of the time.
The anticipated starting pay range of this position, if it is to be located in Irvine, CA is $100,000.00 - $120,000.00 base salary per year.
The above-listed salary range is required by the California Pay Transparency Act and may differ depending on the location of those candidates hired nationwide. The salary range shared in the job description is for the listed position and only pertains to the candidate if they work in Irvine, CA. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to internal pay equity, skill set, education, licenses and certifications, geographic location, essential job duties and requirements, and the necessary experience relative to the job’s minimum qualifications. An additional discretionary bonus structure or incentives may be offered as part of the overall compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, dental, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
· Stationary Position: frequently remains stationary up to 90% of the time and sitting up to 8 hours in a day
· Move/Traverse: infrequently bend, stand, stoop and/or walk
· Carry Weight: infrequently carry weight and/or lift objects (light to heavy) weighing up to 10 pounds
· Hearing and Speech: frequently communicates with the ability to hear and talk on a regular basis with employees, coworkers, and all personnel matters; must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations
· Sight: frequent use of sight to detect images on computer, office documents, and office objects near and far
· Climb: occasionally ascends/descends on stairway to get to office upper and lower floors
· Travel: review above travel requirement for this position
· Regular professional, office business setting
· Noise level ranges from low to moderate (if in office setting)
· Noise level ranges from moderate to high (if on construction worksite)
Hanwha Q Cells is proud to be an at-will Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination against race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship, disability, protected veteran status and any other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this statement shall imply implicitly or explicitly a guarantee of employment outside our at-will employment opportunity.