High Power Engineering Manager - Team Lead
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
Santa Clara, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2023
Hanwha Q CELLS Co., Ltd., is one of the world´s largest and most recognized photovoltaic manufacturers for its high-performance, high-quality solar cells and modules. It is headquartered in Seoul, South Korea (Global Executive HQ) and Talheim, Germany (Technology & Innovation HQ). Through its growing global business network spanning Europe, North America, Asia, South America, Africa, and the Middle East, the company provides excellent services and long-term partnerships to its customers in the utility, commercial, government, and residential markets. Hanwha Q CELLS is a flagship company of Hanwha Group, a FORTUNE Global 500 firm and a Top 7 business enterprise in South Korea.
Our mission is to provide affordable and smart energy solutions through technology and innovation to create a sustainable future for the planet. We are expanding our business by offering revolutionary energy systems to residential customers including ESS, MLPE (power optimizers, micro-inverters), EV charging solutions, and Smart IoT with world-class solutions.
The ideal candidate for the position will have experience with power electronics development and can own product development through all stages of conception, prototype, and productization. In this role, the Power Electronics Engineer will work closely with a talented engineering team in a fast-paced environment to apply emerging technologies in innovative ways to rapidly produce new products.
- Lead a team of engineers in the development of high-power AC to DC and DC to AC converters
- Lead power electronics design in support of new product development in renewable areas.
- Design power stages, from 300 W to 50 kW
- Design analog circuitry, digital circuitry, design high-frequency magnetics
- Collaborate with engineers to perform tasks such as control, testing, and layout
- Work effectively with cross-functional teams to resolve early (architectural) and late (lab, test & validation) on fast timelines.
- Perform hardware bring-up and integration of power electronics circuits and modules and support power conversion systems hardware/software integration
- Lead collaboration with 3rd party partners
- Bachelor of Science (BS) or Master of Science (MS) degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university with a focus on power electronics.
- Minimum of 7 years of industry or university research experience in power electronics design, analysis, test, and troubleshooting. More experienced candidates are also encouraged to apply.
- Strong electrical/electronic design skills and understanding of system-level engineering tradeoffs
- Proven record of creating Ips (patents/papers)
- Design and develop advanced soft switching from sub-KW to tens of KWs at a voltage range of 100V to 1.5KV.
- Responsible for all aspects of product design, including modeling, key component selection, schematic capture, PCB layout, code development, magnetics design, thermal design, regulatory and compliance considerations, DFM.
- Utilize multiple power topologies such as inverters (two-level and multilevel), resonant converters, PFC (single-phase and three-phase, and multilevel configurations).
- Experience with Soft-switching (ZVS/ZCS).
- Strong experience in feedback loop controllers and their stability and performance optimization.
- Plan and implement HW verification during product development, to ensure the electrical design meets specifications and requirements, by recording and analyzing test data.
- Extensive industry experience designing successful power electronics products from concept through schematic, layout, manufacturing, test, and deployment.
- Expertise in power circuit analysis, such as worst-case circuit analysis, failure method effectivity and criticality, and reliability.
- Expert-level proficiency in electronics design (EDA) tools.
- Expert-level proficiency in PCB layout for power circuits.
- Experience with power integrity simulation tools.
- Extensive hands-on experience with lab instruments such as oscilloscopes, RLC analyzers, impedance analyzers, spectrum analyzers, electronic (AC/DC) loads, and signal/power generators.
- Ability to analyze and optimize circuits and designs for cost.
- Demonstrated self-starter with the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced global automotive design and manufacturing environment.
- Demonstrated the ability to transition from theoretical to implementation-based thinking
- Very strong analytical skills and detail-oriented.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Master's or Ph.D. in Power Electronics
- Experience in renewable product development