(SI) Performance Engineer
United States · Remote
Posted on Tuesday, August 8, 2023
Hanwha Q CELLS USA Corp (“HQC US”) develops, invests, and delivers solar photovoltaic (PV) and battery energy storage systems (BESS) projects through Engineering, Procurement, Construction (EPC) services in North America.
The company brings a decade of global leadership in solar PV to deliver utility-scale power generation plants customized for local and regional energy markets. HQC US offers the full spectrum of PV solutions – from the core technology of cells and modules to large-scale project development and investment. With proven capabilities across the solar and battery storage value chain, HQC US minimizes uncertainty and risk and helps customers achieve a higher return on their investment in renewable energy.
The Performance Engineer has responsibility and ownership for measuring and improving battery performance in energy storage systems solutions. In this role, they determinebaseline performance on such parameters as SOC estimate, degradation, cell module and pack balancing, thermal performance and uniformity, and other areas as assigned. The successful candidate brings extensive experience in quantifying and improving the performance of battery cells, modules, packs and racks in Battery Energy Storage Systems.
This position reports to the Director of ESS Engineering or another senior management personnel that the Vice President/President of the Company may designate. This position is located in Irvine, California, or remotely, and working hours are Monday through Friday, from 8:00am to 5:00pm or 9:00am to 6:00pm (one-hour unpaid lunch included in these times). This position may be expected to travel up to 40% of the time.
- Participate in all phases of the product development lifecycle: Concepts, Requirements, Design, Prototype, Testing, Release, and Support for ourproducts and solutions.
- Provide internal subject matter expertise on battery performance issues, particularly battery module performance and quality
- Assist efforts in certifying the products for the various compliance tests.
- Provide support and technical documentation for systems and solutions
- Create reports documenting test findings, recommendations, and design choice justification and rationale
- Identify opportunities to improve battery and system performance
- Support and resolve engineering problems found during production and field use.
- Manage external engineering consultants and manufacturing partners
- Assist in the development and review of energy production models, schedules, cost estimation, bill of materials, budgets, scopes of work, standards, and quotes from suppliers
- Develop and maintain standards and specifications for equipment and the design process
- Establish and maintain the engineering design criteria and applicable standards and specifications
- Provide recommendations for continuous improvements in designs, plans, processes, and product development
- Address stakeholder RFIs
- Provide support to clients and end-users
- Provide technical insight in collaborative process with System Integration managers to determine allowable product configurations and future product/technology
- Develop new tools, implement processes, provide feedback, and work with other teams to ensure continuous improvement of technology and engineering
- Collaborate with team members when necessary to ensure effective communication and results
- Maintain well organized documents to the company’s standard
- Collaborate and assist in implementing new software as required
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of 7 years of professional experience with prior experience in Battery Energy Storage System design
- Bachelor’s or greaterDegree in Engineering, Chemistry, Physics, or related discipline
- Excellent time management and organization skills
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, Outlook with advanced MS Office skills
- Ability to organize, schedule, prioritize, and multi-task in a dynamic environment
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to work cross-functionally to understand requirements, present alternatives, and promote recommendations
- Strong ability to work and collaborate in virtual workplace
- Strong collaboration skills and capacity to influence diplomatically within a team environment
- Self-motivated and work with minimal guidance
- Experience in product certification, especially UL 9540, UL 1741, and UN 38.3 certification preferred
- Strong in Microsoft Office Suite of programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Previous experience managing projects from initial design to production preferred
The above-listed salary range is required by the California Pay Transparency Act and may differ depending on the location of those candidates hired nationwide. The salary range shared in the job description is for the listed position and only pertains to the candidate if they work in Irvine, CA. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to internal pay equity, skill set, education, licenses and certifications, geographic location, essential job duties and requirements, and the necessary experience relative to the job’s minimum qualifications. An additional discretionary bonus structure or incentives may be offered as part of the overall compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, dental, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
· Stationary Position: frequently remains stationary up to 90% of the time and sitting up to 8 hours in a day
· Move/Traverse: infrequently bend, stand, stoop and/or walk
· Carry Weight: infrequently carry weight and/or lift objects (light to heavy) weighing up to 10 pounds
· Hearing and Speech: frequently communicates with the ability to hear and talk on a regular basis with employees, coworkers, and all personnel matters; must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations
· Sight: frequent use of sight to detect images on computer, office documents, and office objects near and far
· Climb: occasionally ascends/descends on stairway to get to office upper and lower floors
· Travel: review above travel requirement for this position
· Regular professional, office business setting
· Noise level ranges from low to moderate (if in office setting)
· Noise level ranges from moderate to high (if on construction worksite)
Hanwha Q Cells is proud to be an at-will Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination against race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship, disability, protected veteran status and any other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this statement shall imply implicitly or explicitly a guarantee of employment outside our at-will employment opportunity.