ESS System Integration Manager
United States · Remote
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2023
Hanwha Q CELLS USA Corp (“HQC US”) develops, invests, and delivers solar photovoltaic (PV) and battery energy storage systems (BESS) projects through Engineering, Procurement, Construction (EPC) services in North America.
The company brings a decade of global leadership in solar PV to deliver utility-scale power generation plants customized for local and regional energy markets. HQC US offers the full spectrum of PV solutions – from the core technology of cells and modules to large-scale project development and investment. With proven capabilities across the solar and battery storage value chain, HQC US minimizes uncertainty and risk and helps customers achieve a higher return on their investment in renewable energy.
The utility system engineer will serve as the technical resource during all project lifecycle phases for utility-scale Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS) new projects across the United States. This role will have hands-on experiences in project development engineering, stand-alone battery energy storage systems, solar plus battery energy storage systems (PV+BESS), National Electric Codes (NEC), Independent System Operator(ISO),utility BESS products, and more. This position is located in Irvine, California and working hours are Monday through Friday, from 8:00am to 5:00pm or 9:00am to 6:00pm. This position may be expected to travel up to 30%.
- Deliver technical due diligence supporting the Initiating project phase before the project awarded. Analyze customer’s requirements related to BESS system and each component in terms of functionality and performance.
- Define the specification (H/W, S/W, Communication I/F, etc.) of power block level controller functionality and performance perspective and lead the software development.
- Review and approve the development results at each stage like software design, test report and H/W specification, etc.
- Manage the S/W development plan and product roadmap.
- Act as the subject matter expert for industry best practices, regulations, compliance, and standards around PPC/ SCADA- NERC CIP, NIST, NERC Mod, applicable IEC and IEEE standards
- Prepare conceptual BESS (or PV+BESS) system architecture layouts, network diagrams, communication wiring diagrams and selecting different components during the planning process, based on site specifics, system performance and financial objective requirements.
- Visit project sites, supplier sites, or third-party sites when necessary to assess and collect critical project technical information such as site structures, network diagrams, communication wiring diagrams, site electricity load data, costs, or to participate in equipment inspections/tests and system commissioning.
- Work with PPC, SCADA, Network and BOS equipment manufacturers for alignment with customer and industry needs and standards.
- Collaborate with electrical teams to define and integrate components, check functionality of the renewable energy system (PCS, Battery, Inverter, BOP, etc.).
- Support in developing controls and algorithms for energy systems applications
- Collaborate and work with Developer, EPC and other involved parties during planning, installation, and commissioning to provide engineering deliverables necessary to achieve the success of the project.
- This position has a primary focus on ERCOT, CAISO, and ISO NE markets and will eventually require an understanding of additional US ISOs / RTOs
- Bachelor’s degree in Automation/Computer science or S/W development engineer with minimum of 10+ years of experience in EMS application program of renewable energy field
- 10+ years. experience interacting with system integration engineers, Utilities, ISO’s, IPPs in the US market
- 5+ years. Energy application S/W Dev. management experience with deployment
- Field experience deploying Solar/ storage/ wind control systems in the US market.
- Advanced proficiency in software design and energy modeling applications, such as UML and Agile tools
- Advanced proficiency in programming languages like C, C++, Java, Python, etc.
- Advanced proficiency in communication interface like Modbus, DNP3.0, OPC, CAN, Restful API, https, etc.
- Strong understanding of network communication architectures, protocols, NERC standards
- Understanding of Power plant modeling tools and model creation in PSSE, PSCAD, or similar tool
- Familiarity with project lifecycle and contract structures for solar, storage, or renewable projects
- Comfortable and accustomed to working with various project stakeholders, including investors, EPC partners, developers, consultants, O&M contractors, and suppliers.
- Knowledge and capacity to apply NEC, ISO, building and AHJ code and rules on system designs.
- Able to develop written/verbal work deliverables that are organized and appropriate to the respective audiences.
- Strong sense of ownership on assigned tasks.
- Can-do mentality, proactive working attitude, and hands-on approach
- Flexible, team-player, attention-to-detail, and responsible working attitude
- Ability to communicate with audiences consisting of diverse backgrounds, customers, product engineering and sales teams.
- Demonstrated experience bringing successful Utility-scale products to the market in Solar, Wind, and/or Energy Storage.
- Passionate about solving customers’ problems and focused on product value to the customer
- Able to design Micro-grid forming systems and to integrate PV and other power sources
- Good knowledge of control system and communication system design (TCP/IP Networks and Modbus), in particular control system architecture, IT network and components (Cloud, server, data-logger, PLC, Router, Modem, etc.)
- Experience with any industry Energy Management System hardware/software, Monitoring/control/Optimization/Machine learning
- On Site experience installing and/or commissioning ESS / PV+BESS, understanding Site acceptance test process
- Focused on the ‘why’ and ‘what’ of the products and comfortable letting the Engineering team figure out how to deliver features.
- Self-starter and self-motivated leader working with a cross-functional team.
- Understands the value of hypotheses, experimentation, and learning.
- Leadership by example
- Strong work & teamwork ethic
The above-listed salary range is required by the California Pay Transparency Act and may differ depending on the location of those candidates hired nationwide. The salary range shared in the job description is for the listed position and only pertains to the candidate if they work in Irvine, CA. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to internal pay equity, skill set, education, licenses and certifications, geographic location, essential job duties and requirements, and the necessary experience relative to the job’s minimum qualifications. An additional discretionary bonus structure or incentives may be offered as part of the overall compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, dental, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
· Stationary Position: frequently remains stationary up to 90% of the time and sitting up to 8 hours in a day
· Move/Traverse: infrequently bend, stand, stoop and/or walk
· Carry Weight: infrequently carry weight and/or lift objects (light to heavy) weighing up to 10 pounds
· Hearing and Speech: frequently communicates with the ability to hear and talk on a regular basis with employees, coworkers, and all personnel matters; must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations
· Sight: frequent use of sight to detect images on computer, office documents, and office objects near and far
· Climb: occasionally ascends/descends on stairway to get to office upper and lower floors
· Travel: review above travel requirement for this position
· Regular professional, office business setting
· Noise level ranges from low to moderate (if in office setting)
· Noise level ranges from moderate to high (if on construction worksite)
Hanwha Q Cells is proud to be an at-will Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination against race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship, disability, protected veteran status and any other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this statement shall imply implicitly or explicitly a guarantee of employment outside our at-will employment opportunity.