Research & Development Engineer
Highland, MD, USA
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2023
This is your chance to join the rapidly growing commercial solar energy business.
Solar FlexRack is an integrated solar company that offers custom-designed, fixed tilt ground mount and single-axis solar tracking systems in the commercial and utility-scale solar mounting industries. Solar FlexRack also offers full services, including engineering, geotechnical, pullout testing, field, and layout design services to address the actual site conditions of a project site. Solar FlexRack has completed over 3.5 GW of solar racking installations in over 40 U.S. states, 9 Canadian provinces and across the globe.
We are currently seeking a Research and Development Manager to work with our cross-functional business units to design and implement solar energy collection systems.
This position reports to the Vice President of Engineering and R&D, or another management personnel that the President of the Company may designate. This position is located in the Highland Hills, Ohio area. The position will be hybrid working 4 days in office and one day remote. Working hours are Monday through Friday, from 7:00am - 4:00pm or 8:00am to 5:00pm or 9:00am to 6:00pm local time. Overtime and weekend working hours may be required as needed. This position is expected to travel up to 25%.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTION & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Meeting with business management, marketing, and the R&D team to discuss product requirements
- Conducting market research and evaluating similar products and their functions.
- Oversee and manage product development budgets and schedules
- Collaborating with the engineering and marketing department on product feasibility.
- Redesigning existing products to enhance functionality or reduce costs.
- Oversee the creation of product documentation and data sheets.
- Presenting product designs to management and stakeholders.
- Overseeing the engineering of product prototypes.
- Testing prototype products for functionality, ease-of-use, and longevity.
- Resolving product issues.
- Work with supply chain and cross functional product and engineering teams
- Ensure that products meet industry standards and code requirements
- Work with marketing and supply chain to ensure successful product launches.
- Work with divisions within the company to ensure synergies between product offerings
- Regular attendance, in accordance with the company's attendance policy and supervisory assignment, is an essential job duty requirement for this position.
- Bachelor's degree in electrical, civil/structural engineering, mechanical engineering, or relevant field.
- 0-3 Years' experience in engineering or as an R&D engineer.
- Advanced analytical and mathematical skills.
- In-depth knowledge of mechanical, structural and/or electrical engineering.
- Solar industry experience and design experience preferred.
- Proficient with computer design software including AutoCAD, SolidWorks, RISA 3D or other FEA Software (Ansys, AutoCAD Inventor).
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experience with project/ product management.
- Ability to translate design concepts into physical objects.
- PE licensure a plus.
- Stationary Position: frequently remains stationary up to 90% of the time and sitting up to 8 hours in a day
- Move/Traverse: infrequently bend, stand, stoop and/or walk
- Carry Weight: infrequently carry weight and/or lift objects (light to heavy) weighing up to 10 pounds
- Hearing and Speech: frequently communicates with the ability to hear and talk on a regular basis with employees, coworkers, and all personnel matters; must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations
- Sight: frequent use of sight to detect images on computer, office documents, and office objects near and far
- Climb: occasionally ascends/descends on stairway to get to office upper and lower floors
- Travel: up to 25% as needed
- Regular professional, office business setting
- Noise level ranges from low to moderate (if in office setting)
- Noise level ranges from moderate to high (if on construction worksite)
Hanwha Qcells is proud to be an at-will Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination against race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship, disability, protected veteran status and any other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this statement shall imply implicitly or explicitly a guarantee of employment outside our at-will employment opportunity.