Staff Software Engineer - Controls (Embedded Systems and Automation Systems)
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2023
This is a San Francisco based position that is currently remote and will have a hybrid schedule once we return to office. We are open to candidates willing to relocate to the San Francisco Bay Area.
Geli (Growing Energy Labs, Inc.) provides software and business solutions to design, connect, and operate energy storage systems ranging in size from residential to utility-scale, as well as grid-tied, microgrid, and off-grid systems. Geli’s suite of products creates an ecosystem where project developers, OEMs, financiers, and project operators can deploy advanced energy projects using a seamless hardware-agnostic software platform.
Geli is a subsidiary of Hanwha Q CELLS, one of the world’s largest photovoltaic manufacturers most recognized for its high-performance, high-quality solar cells and modules.
Geli is committed to helping make the planet a cleaner, better place to live, both with our software products and through our everyday actions.
Imagine a world where there is less reliance on non-renewable power, where you source your electricity from your neighbors rather than from power stations hundreds of miles away and software makes the best possible use of the solar, wind, and battery storage available. This is our vision.
We are looking for enthusiastic colleagues that are not only fluent in technology, but also share our vision of a world running on 100% renewable energy.
About the Role:
Intelligent control software is our highest priority at Geli/Qcell to lead the way with our complete energy solutions for a sustainable world. As an Qcell/Geli engineering leader you will help our customers who will reduces energy costs and creates new revenue streams, while maximizing the value of solar, wind and energy storage assets.
We are currently seeking a highly skilled and experienced control software engineer to join our organization. As the Senior leader (Staff or Sr. Staff level), you will lead the design, development, and implementation of embedded, cloud-enabled automation control systems. You will play a critical role in driving innovation, ensuring product quality, and leading a team of engineers in delivering cloud-enabled intelligent edge systems within our organization. You will play a key role in ensuring the efficiency, reliability, and safety of our Optimal Control systems.
Embedded Systems Expertise:
- Extensive knowledge and experience in the design and development of embedded control software systems for automation and industrial applications.
- Proficiency in programming languages commonly used in embedded systems, such as C/C++ and assembly languages.
- Proficiency in embedded operating systems and mbedded software development lifecycle management
- Strong familiarity with cloud enabled smart edge and intelligent cloud system architectures.
- In-depth understanding of real-time operating systems (RTOS) and their application in embedded systems.
- Strong familiarity with microcontrollers, microprocessors, and system-on-chip (SoC) architectures.
- Experience with various communication protocols used in embedded systems, such as UART, SPI, I2C, Ethernet, and CAN.
Automation Control Systems:
- Deep understanding of automation control systems, including PLCs (Programmable Logic Controllers) and PACs (Programmable Automation Controllers).
- Knowledge of industrial communication protocols like OPC, Modbus, Profibus, and Ethernet/IP.
- Have an experience to integrate and optimal control of energy systems including Solar (PV), Energy Storage (e.g., Battery) and others.
- Familiarity with HMI (Human-Machine Interface) systems and their integration with embedded controllers.
- Experience in developing control algorithms and implementing closed-loop control systems with cloud communication.
Leadership and Project Management
- Understanding of matrix environment and stake holder management including sales, product management and program management.
- Proven leadership skills in mentoring engineering teams, providing technical guidance, and fostering a collaborative work environment.
- Strong project management skills, including the ability to plan and execute projects within specified timelines and budgets.
- Demonstrated experience in coordinating with cross-functional teams, including hardware, software, and testing teams, to ensure successful project delivery.
- Ability to effectively communicate complex technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
- Problem-Solving and Innovation:
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities, with a strong attention to detail.
- Creative thinking and the ability to identify innovative solutions for complex engineering challenges.
- Up-to-date knowledge of emerging trends, technologies, and best practices in the field of embedded systems and automation control.
Communication and Documentation
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to articulate ideas and concepts clearly and effectively.
- Proficiency in managing quality of technical documentation, including specifications, design documents, and test plans.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field. Master's degree preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in the field of embedded system software design, development, and implementation.
- Proven track record of successfully leading and developing prjects and products.
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT GELI
Competitive salary commensurate with experience
Competitive benefits offerings
Conveniently accessible location in downtown San Francisco
Flexible work-from-home-office opportunities, as determined by the position and job duties
Cigna and Kaiser options - available by region
Cigna Dental (including orthodontic coverage) and vision plans, both have options with a $0 paycheck contribution
Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
Company Paid (Health Savings Account) HSA Contribution when enrolled in the High Deductible Cigna medical plan
Company-paid Basic Life, AD&D, short-term, and long-term disability insurance
Voluntary benefits include: critical illness, hospital indemnity, accident insurance
401(k) with a 4% employer match
3 weeks of paid Parental Leave
Sick time- 72 hours frontloaded per calendar year
Vacation time (Flex time), and 13 Paid Holidays
Health Advocate wellness and concierge services
Wellness programs with our benefits providers
Bereavement leave- 5 paid days
Make a difference: join a group of people who are passionate about renewable energy
Have an impact: the company is still small enough that everyone’s contribution has a significant impact on the success of the company
Many opportunities to lead teams, and projects, and contribute to development
Casual professional working environment: there’s no need to dress up, just present your best self
Work collaboratively in a diverse environment- we commit to reaching better decisions by respecting opinions and working through disagreements
We value the insights that a diverse team can bring. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in tech.
Growing Energy Labs, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics.