Utility Scale PV and Battery Storage Cost Estimator
United States · Remote
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2023
Hanwha Q CELLS USA Corp (“HQC US”) develops, invests, and delivers solar photovoltaic (PV) and battery energy storage systems (BESS) projects through Engineering, Procurement, Construction (EPC) services in North America.
The company brings a decade of global leadership in solar PV to deliver utility-scale power generation plants customized for local and regional energy markets. HQC US offers the full spectrum of PV solutions – from the core technology of cells and modules to large-scale project development and investment. With proven capabilities across the solar and battery storage value chain, HQC US minimizes uncertainty and risk and helps customers achieve a higher return on their investment in renewable energy.
The Cost Estimator will provide cost estimation oversight across the nation. This position reports to the Director of Estimation, or another management personnel that the President/Senior Vice President of the Company may designate. This position is located in remote and working hours are Monday through Friday, from 8:00am to 5:00pm or 9:00am to 6:00pm local time. This position is expected to travel up to 30%.
- Cost estimation oversight in the US;
- Support Sales and Development team by executing engineering design and estimating tasks, including, but not limited to the following:
- Site evaluation, review project documents, include environmental reports, identify mitigation requirements to determine the feasibility of the project.
- Make recommendations on actions to reduce both technical and business risk;
- Prepare scopes of work for sub – contractors and work closely with procurement team to confirm costs;
- Confirm equipment specifications including bill of materials for the BOS;
- Knowledge of electrical calculations, including wire loss, wire sizing, equipment rating, over-current protection, etc.;
- Safety Risk assessment and associated costs;
- Works with Procurement team to confirm material estimates;
- Conduct site visits as necessary;
- Assists with Research and Development as required by obtaining cost estimates and performing product analysis on new technology and equipment;
- Review cost estimates, responsible for distribution of cost estimating tasks;
- Assist with the sales proposal and bid documents to clients
- Ability to travel up to 30%; and
- Perform other duties and special projects, as assigned by the Vice President of Contract Management.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, statistics, finance, economics, or licensed contractor
- Minimum of 5 years of Utility Solar estimating experience
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally, up to 30%
- Advanced knowledge in Microsoft Office Suite and estimating platforms
- High degree of professionalism and conduct at all times
- Demonstrated track record of delivering results
- Willingness to work long hours and under time pressure environments
- Ability to interact with senior-level management internally and externally
- Ability to understand and estimate:
- Civil construction
- Mechanical construction
- Electrical construction
- Emphasis on DC cabling, MV cabling, Single access PV racking, High voltage and interconnection
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to present and explain complex information clearly
- Demonstrated customer focus and strong communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to influence at all levels of the organization
- Data-based decision-making, results oriented
- Critical and strategic thinking skills
- Prior estimation software such as Heavy Bid, AccuBid, Inteli Bid or others a plus
The above-listed salary range is required by the California Pay Transparency Act and may differ depending on the location of those candidates hired nationwide. The salary range shared in the job description is for the listed position and only pertains to the candidate if they work in Irvine, CA. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to internal pay equity, skill set, education, licenses and certifications, geographic location, essential job duties and requirements, and the necessary experience relative to the job’s minimum qualifications. An additional discretionary bonus structure or incentives may be offered as part of the overall compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, dental, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
· Stationary Position: frequently remains stationary up to 90% of the time and sitting up to 8 hours in a day
· Move/Traverse: infrequently bend, stand, stoop and/or walk
· Carry Weight: infrequently carry weight and/or lift objects (light to heavy) weighing up to 10 pounds
· Hearing and Speech: frequently communicates with the ability to hear and talk on a regular basis with employees, coworkers, and all personnel matters; must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations
· Sight: frequent use of sight to detect images on computer, office documents, and office objects near and far
· Climb: occasionally ascends/descends on stairway to get to office upper and lower floors
· Travel: review above travel requirement for this position
· Regular professional, office business setting
· Noise level ranges from low to moderate (if in office setting)
· Noise level ranges from moderate to high (if on construction worksite)
Hanwha Q Cells is proud to be an at-will Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination against race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship, disability, protected veteran status and any other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this statement shall imply implicitly or explicitly a guarantee of employment outside our at-will employment opportunity.