Electrical Safety Manager
United States · Remote
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2023
Hanwha Q CELLS USA Corp (“HQC US”) develops, invests, and delivers solar photovoltaic (PV) and battery energy storage systems (BESS) projects through Engineering, Procurement, Construction (EPC) services in North America.
The company brings a decade of global leadership in solar PV to deliver utility-scale power generation plants customized for local and regional energy markets. HQC US offers the full spectrum of PV solutions – from the core technology of cells and modules to large-scale project development and investment. With proven capabilities across the solar and battery storage value chain, HQC US minimizes uncertainty and risk and helps customers achieve a higher return on their investment in renewable energy.
This position will focus on development and implementing the Electrical Safety program and procedures, as well as performing site visits and audits to ensure compliance. This position reports to the Corporate Safety Manager, or another management personnel that the President of the Company may designate. This position is located in Irvine (or remote) and working hours are Monday through Friday, from 8:00am to 5:00pm or 9:00am to 6:00pm local time. This position is expected to travel up to 50%.
Essential Job Functions & Responsibilities
- Create Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s), mostly covering electrical topics, that align with the company’s goals and vision.
- Educate Sr. management and train site employees on the Electrical SOPs.
- Collaborate in the development of Work instructions for site activities.
- Manage the electrical PPE program and other electrical safety equipment (as needed), including but not limited to the identification of vendors and management of PPE inventory.
- Development of requirements to designate employees as competent, qualified, and authorized persons as defined in OHSA and NFPA 70E.
- Collaborate with the company management to identify training needs and schedule appropriate training sessions for employees.
- Prepare and keep Safety programs and procedures up to date.
- Perform risk assessments for activities associated with the lifecycle of PV Power and BESS Plants.
- Communicate with stakeholders to plan Safety requirements and develop EHS Audit plans.
- Verify in-field activities at various offices and PV Power and BESS Plant locations.
- Prepare weekly and monthly Safety reports as required by management and contractual requirements with customers.
- Develop Safety Initiatives to promote a safety culture that embraces both a “Responsibility to act” and “Show by Example” approach.
- Interact cross-functionally with a wide variety of people and teams.
- Perform other duties and special projects, as assigned.
- Regular attendance, in accordance with company's attendance policy and supervisory assignment, is an essential job duty requirement for this position.
- 5+ years of experience developing and implementing Electrical safety programs and commissioning PV and substations.
- Intimate knowledge of NFPA 70E regulations regarding high voltage, medium voltage, and low voltage.
- Experience with Electrical PPE and Electrical Safety Equipment and tools.
- Experience in Safety Auditing and in-field safety management
- Knowledge of Safety and Environmental Regulations (OSHA, Cal-OSHA, EPA).
- Bachelor's degree in Occupational Health and Safety, Engineering, or in an environmentally related discipline preferred.
- Electrical apprenticeship/ journeyman preferred.
- OSHA Authorized Outreach Trainer for Construction or General Industry (OHSA 500, 501) preferred.
- · Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Associate Safety Professional (ASP), Certified Electrical Safety Technician (CEST), Certified Electrical Safety Compliance Professional (CESCP), or Construction Health and Safety Technician (CHST) preferred.
- Safety, Solar PV and BESS, and construction experience preferred.
- Ability to collaborate with team members and across departments.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of PV Solar Plants structural, electrical, mechanical and controls equipment preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
The above-listed salary range is required by the California Pay Transparency Act and may differ depending on the location of those candidates hired nationwide. The salary range shared in the job description is for the listed position and only pertains to the candidate if they work in Irvine, CA. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to internal pay equity, skill set, education, licenses and certifications, geographic location, essential job duties and requirements, and the necessary experience relative to the job’s minimum qualifications. An additional discretionary bonus structure or incentives may be offered as part of the overall compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, dental, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
· Stationary Position: frequently remains stationary up to 90% of the time and sitting up to 8 hours in a day
· Move/Traverse: infrequently bend, stand, stoop and/or walk
· Carry Weight: infrequently carry weight and/or lift objects (light to heavy) weighing up to 10 pounds
· Hearing and Speech: frequently communicates with the ability to hear and talk on a regular basis with employees, coworkers, and all personnel matters; must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations
· Sight: frequent use of sight to detect images on computer, office documents, and office objects near and far
· Climb: occasionally ascends/descends on stairway to get to office upper and lower floors
· Travel: review above travel requirement for this position
· Regular professional, office business setting
· Noise level ranges from low to moderate (if in office setting)
· Noise level ranges from moderate to high (if on construction worksite)
Hanwha Q Cells is proud to be an at-will Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination against race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship, disability, protected veteran status and any other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this statement shall imply implicitly or explicitly a guarantee of employment outside our at-will employment opportunity.