Senior Controls Engineer
Santa Clara, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2023
Hanwha Q CELLS Co., Ltd., is one of the world´s largest and most recognized photovoltaic manufacturers for its high-performance, high-quality solar cells and modules. It is headquartered in Seoul, South Korea (Global Executive HQ) and Talheim, Germany (Technology & Innovation HQ). Through its growing global business network spanning Europe, North America, Asia, South America, Africa, and the Middle East, the company provides excellent services and long-term partnerships to its customers in the utility, commercial, government, and residential markets. Hanwha Q CELLS is a flagship company of Hanwha Group, a FORTUNE Global 500 firm and a Top 7 business enterprise in South Korea.
Our mission is to provide affordable and smart energy solutions through technology and innovation to create a sustainable future for the planet. We are expanding our business by offering revolutionary energy systems to residential customers including ESS, MLPE (power optimizers, micro-inverters), EV charging solutions, and Smart IoT with world-class solutions.
Future Energy Technology Center (FETC) is searching for a Senior Controls Engineer with expertise in control systems for power electronics and renewable energy applications and developing real-time embedded software. This individual will play a pivotal role in ensuring the harmony between our power electronics and firmware teams, establishing control algorithms that maximize efficiency and reliability in our products. Collaborating closely with both teams, the Senior Controls Engineer will be the bridge ensuring that hardware and software operate seamlessly.
- Develop and optimize control algorithms and develop real-time embedded software for various power electronics systems, including EV charging solutions, power converters, inverters and energy storage solutions.
- Collaborate closely with the power electronics design and firmware teams to ensure harmonious integration of control algorithms with the hardware and embedded systems.
- Drive the development of modular and scalable control systems that can be implemented across multiple platforms and products.
- Play a leading role in board bring-up, integrating control algorithms with the hardware, and debugging any issues.
- Advise and mentor teams on best practices in control systems design and implementation.
- Participate actively in design reviews, DFMEA activities, and other collaborative engineering exercises.
- Utilize simulation tools such as PSIM, Matlab, and other relevant platforms for control algorithm development and validation.
- Stay updated with emerging technologies in the control systems domain and drive their integration into our products wherever applicable.
- Bachelor’s or higher Degree in Electrical Engineering, Control Systems Engineering, or a related field.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in control systems design and implementation, specifically for power electronics applications.
- Strong understanding of both continuous and discrete-time control systems and their implementation in real-world environments.
- Over 5 years of experience in embedded software development with emphasis on motor drives and power electronics.
- Proficiency in coding with TI C2000 MCU and ARM processors.
- Prior experience with simulation tools such as PSIM, Matlab, or equivalent platforms for control system development.
- Strong knowledge of power electronics topologies and their associated control strategies.
- Proven track record of successfully implementing control systems in products from conception to production.
- Exceptional collaborative skills, with a demonstrated ability to work across functional teams and drive alignment.
- Strong analytical skills with a problem-solving attitude.
- Experience working in the renewable energy sector, specifically with products such as solar converters, EV chargers, and energy storage solutions.
- Knowledge of Software in the Loop (SIL) and Hardware in the Loop (HIL) testing paradigms.
- Familiarity with the challenges and nuances of integrating control systems with firmware and hardware.
- Prior experience in mentoring or leading a team would be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of industry standards related to renewable energy and power electronics.