Environmental Compliance Project Manager
United States · Remote
Posted on Wednesday, October 4, 2023
Hanwha Q CELLS USA Corp (“HQC US”) develops, invests, and delivers solar photovoltaic (PV) and battery energy storage systems (BESS) projects through Engineering, Procurement, Construction (EPC) services in North America.
The company brings a decade of global leadership in solar PV to deliver utility-scale power generation plants customized for local and regional energy markets. HQC US offers the full spectrum of PV solutions – from the core technology of cells and modules to large-scale project development and investment. With proven capabilities across the solar and battery storage value chain, HQC US minimizes uncertainty and risk and helps customers achieve a higher return on their investment in renewable energy.
This position will focus on identifying, extracting, planning, and supporting implementation of environmental requirements to ensure compliance with environmental laws and regulations and applicable permits for the construction of Solar PV and BESS plants. This position reports to the EPC Environmental Compliance Program Manager, or another management personnel that the President of the Company may designate. This position is located in Irvine, CA (or remote) and working hours are Monday through Friday, from 8:00am to 5:00pm or 9:00am to 6:00pm local time. Overtime and weekend working hours may be required as needed. This position is expected to travel up to 40%.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTION & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Review Project Owner provided due diligence documents during the preconstruction process to confirm requirements for incorporation into project design. Assist Engineering team with interpretation and verification of requirements, as well as related correspondence with Owner.
- Review Qcells requirements for compliance with Owner plans and permits and conduct or supervise determination of Qcells regulatory requirements as EPC Contractor. Ensure these requirements are accurately represented in upstream and downstream environmental contract exhibits.
- Support generation and/or review of Qcells environmental reports and permits. Includes Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plans (SWPPP), Spill Prevention, Control and Countermeasure Plans (SPCC), and other applicable plans and corresponding permits as needed.
- Distill project environmental requirements into a Site-Specific Environmental Plan and implementation checklist for use during construction. Assist Project Team in planning for implementation of requirements identified, and review plan with applicable project staff.
- Offer continuing support to project team throughout construction. Conduct periodic on-site audits of environmental compliance for assigned projects.
- Represent EHSQ by attending and/or coordinating meetings with internal teams, Customers, and Subcontractors to update and advise on environmental requirements and conditions for project. Generate reporting documentation as needed.
- Encourage interdepartmental coordination by interacting cross-functionally with a wide variety of people and teams as an internal environmental Subject Matter Expert (SME).
- Facilitate timely response to Client or regulatory agency requests.
- Evaluate site hazardous conditions and coordinate cleanups and remedial actions with Project Team as necessary.
- Support Project Team during regulatory audits and advise on findings, violations, or cessation orders, collect evidence, and present solutions to the Project Team for implementation.
- Perform other duties and special projects, as assigned.
- Regular attendance, in accordance with company's attendance policy and supervisory assignment, is an essential job duty requirement for this position.
- 7+ years of experience identifying, fulfilling, and implementing environmental compliance requirements.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science, Studies, Engineering, or equivalent.
- Knowledge of Federal Environmental Regulations (CWA, CAA, RCRA, etc.).
- Proven ability to extract and interpret regulatory requirements applicable to specific activities, specifically, navigating state and local jurisdictional requirements.
- General experience in air, waste, and water permitting and compliance required. Extensive specialized experience in one or more specialties preferred.
- Due diligence and/or auditing experience preferred.
- Environmental compliance experience in the construction industry or renewables preferred.
- Ability to collaborate with team members, across departments, and with customers.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Technical writing and reviewing experience preferred.
- NREP certified preferred (REM, REP, or equivalent).
- Knowledge of PV Solar and BESS Plants: structural, electrical, mechanical and controls equipment preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Experience with Procore and/or Environmental Management Software preferred.
The above-listed salary range is required by the California Pay Transparency Act and may differ depending on the location of those candidates hired nationwide. The salary range shared in the job description is for the listed position and only pertains to the candidate if they work in Irvine, CA. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to internal pay equity, skill set, education, licenses and certifications, geographic location, essential job duties and requirements, and the necessary experience relative to the job’s minimum qualifications. An additional discretionary bonus structure or incentives may be offered as part of the overall compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, dental, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
· Stationary Position: frequently remains stationary up to 90% of the time and sitting up to 8 hours in a day
· Move/Traverse: infrequently bend, stand, stoop and/or walk
· Carry Weight: infrequently carry weight and/or lift objects (light to heavy) weighing up to 10 pounds
· Hearing and Speech: frequently communicates with the ability to hear and talk on a regular basis with employees, coworkers, and all personnel matters; must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations
· Sight: frequent use of sight to detect images on computer, office documents, and office objects near and far
· Climb: occasionally ascends/descends on stairway to get to office upper and lower floors
· Travel: review above travel requirement for this position
· Regular professional, office business setting
· Noise level ranges from low to moderate (if in office setting)
· Noise level ranges from moderate to high (if on construction worksite)
Hanwha Q Cells is proud to be an at-will Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination against race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship, disability, protected veteran status and any other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this statement shall imply implicitly or explicitly a guarantee of employment outside our at-will employment opportunity.