EPC Continuous Improvement/Lean Construction Manager
United States · Remote
Posted on Wednesday, October 4, 2023
Hanwha Q CELLS USA Corp (“HQC US”) develops, invests, and delivers solar photovoltaic (PV) and battery energy storage systems (BESS) projects through Engineering, Procurement, Construction (EPC) services in North America.
The company brings a decade of global leadership in solar PV to deliver utility-scale power generation plants customized for local and regional energy markets. HQC US offers the full spectrum of PV solutions – from the core technology of cells and modules to large-scale project development and investment. With proven capabilities across the solar and battery storage value chain, HQC US minimizes uncertainty and risk and helps customers achieve a higher return on their investment in renewable energy.
HQC US is seeking an EPC Continuous Improvement Manager to help us develop Work Instructions and improving processes within our EPC division. This position reports to the Director of EHSQ, or another management personnel that the President of the Company may designate. This position is located in Irvine, CA (or remote) and working hours are Monday through Friday, from 8:00am to 5:00pm or 9:00am to 6:00pm local time. Overtime and weekend working hours may be required as needed. This position is expected to travel up to 50%.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTION & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Be (or become) a leader for HQC in not only applying Continuous Improvement (CI) principles to EPC processes but also by championing the role of coaching and encouraging others to leverage CI principles in their work.
- Identify, create, and participate in the implementation of continuous improvement opportunities focused on business processes, enabling tools, and systems that deliver tangible value to the EPC division.
- Partner with Preconstruction, Engineering, Project Management/Construction Management and EHSQ to help these departments document their processes while working to identify, prioritize and pursue continuous improvement opportunities.
- Maintain ownership of a library of business process flow diagrams.
- Create a standard template to be used by the EPC Division teams listed above so they can document their Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and work instructions (WI) and the library where these documents will be housed.
- Create a timeline for completion and regularly check in, audit, and offer support to ensure these processes remain relevant and meet the needs of the EPC Division.
- Establish a process including templates and catalog of processes and timeline for teams to complete business process documentation to ensure standardization within the BU. Regularly check in, audit, and offer support to ensure these processes remain relevant and meet the needs of the EPC Division.
- Organize CI Workshops to introduce CI Concepts and Principles to the EPC Division.
- Coach individuals and teams on the value of CI and how to implement CI principles to identify and solve business problems.
- Actively seek opportunities to collaborate with cross-functional teams on business process system enhancements.
- Document, aggregate and publish CI Metrics to the entire EPC Division.
- Develop a system of field CI leads (supporting the field) to collaborate on CI activities that impact both business and field processes.
- 8+ years of experience developing and implementing continuous improvement programs.
- Bachelors or masters degree preferred.
- CQM-OE certification preferred.
- Lean Construction certification preferred (LCI-PCP)
- Experience in the construction sector, preferably in the energy sector, ideally in the contruction of Solar PV and Battery Energy Storage projects.
- Knowledge of PV Solar Plants structural, electrical, mechanical and controls equipment preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to effectively lead a group through current processes and identification of opportunities for improvement.
- Strong organizational skills to develop and execute plans to address improvement opportunities.
- Strong independent leadership skills that can lead teams to solutions while solving bottlenecks and clearing barriers.
- Capability to create and publish documents, presentations and reports that are organized, easy to review and impactful, communicating important content and metrics to the organization.
- Solid working knowledge of process mapping, analytics, and/or other continuous improvement
The above-listed salary range is required by the California Pay Transparency Act and may differ depending on the location of those candidates hired nationwide. The salary range shared in the job description is for the listed position and only pertains to the candidate if they work in Irvine, CA. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to internal pay equity, skill set, education, licenses and certifications, geographic location, essential job duties and requirements, and the necessary experience relative to the job’s minimum qualifications. An additional discretionary bonus structure or incentives may be offered as part of the overall compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, dental, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
· Stationary Position: frequently remains stationary up to 90% of the time and sitting up to 8 hours in a day
· Move/Traverse: infrequently bend, stand, stoop and/or walk
· Carry Weight: infrequently carry weight and/or lift objects (light to heavy) weighing up to 10 pounds
· Hearing and Speech: frequently communicates with the ability to hear and talk on a regular basis with employees, coworkers, and all personnel matters; must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations
· Sight: frequent use of sight to detect images on computer, office documents, and office objects near and far
· Climb: occasionally ascends/descends on stairway to get to office upper and lower floors
· Travel: review above travel requirement for this position
· Regular professional, office business setting
· Noise level ranges from low to moderate (if in office setting)
· Noise level ranges from moderate to high (if on construction worksite)
Hanwha Q Cells is proud to be an at-will Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination against race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship, disability, protected veteran status and any other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this statement shall imply implicitly or explicitly a guarantee of employment outside our at-will employment opportunity.