United States · Remote
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2023
Hanwha Q CELLS USA Corp (“HQC US”) develops, invests, and delivers solar photovoltaic (PV) and battery energy storage systems (BESS) projects through Engineering, Procurement, Construction (EPC) services in North America.
The company brings a decade of global leadership in solar PV to deliver utility-scale power generation plants customized for local and regional energy markets. HQC US offers the full spectrum of PV solutions – from the core technology of cells and modules to large-scale project development and investment. With proven capabilities across the solar and battery storage value chain, HQC US minimizes uncertainty and risk and helps customers achieve a higher return on their investment in renewable energy.
The SCADA & Controls Engineer provides technical leadership for SCADA & Controls Engineering team. Designs and provides oversight to SCADA vendors and third party EOR’s in order to develop preliminary designs and Bill of Materials which will be provided to estimators for estimating projects. Aligns and works with the procurement team to ensure they have necessary design information, quantities and parameters to bid the work. This individual will leverage their subject matter expertise to drive value into the entire SCADA lifecycle, from development through commissioning. This includes flow down of requirements into the design, control loop tuning during commissioning, controls performance analysis and optimization. Works with the construction division and third party EOR’s to ensure design has met the requirements of the project including safety, reliability, and quality. This position reports to the Director of SME, or another management personnel that the Vice President of Engineering may designate. This position is located remotely and working hours are Monday through Friday, from 8:00am to 5:00pm or 9:00am to 6:00pm local time. This position is expected to travel up to 30%.
- Serve as an SME for SCADA & Controls equipment and their data interfaces used to serve site data to owners and commands to operate plants.
- Lead as the leading expert in SCADA design review, architecture, and contract review optimization.
- Lead the design, performance, and execution of plant controls during the construction and commissioning phases of new assets and acquisitions.
- Craft design specifications based on project inputs from PPA, IA, ISO Requirements, industry standards and best practices.
- Maintain traceability of requirements from specification to FAT through CSAT.
- Perform diligence on new Controls Integrators for selection to be included in the Approved Vendors List (AVL).
- Review EPC design elements related to SCADA & Controls equipment and software algorithms, addressing any shortcomings prior to O&M turnover.
- Document and Standardize SCADA & Controls Engineering best practices regarding selection of equipment, network architecture, algorithms, etc.
- Perform site operational compliance testing in accordance with regulatory body standards, documenting results.
- Baseline and improve performance of SCADA & Controls equipment and control algorithms using data analytics and simulation modeling tools.
- Drive SCADA & Controls related field modifications through the Management of Change Process, maintaining rigor in documentation and analysis of risk along with review & approval through concerned parties.
- Pursue continuous improvement by keeping abreast of industry standards and implementing innovative new designs to enhance plant reliability and performance.
- Understanding NERC CIP requirements for large plants for co-located and standalone plants.
- Support cybersecurity strategy, ensuring security in depth mechanisms are implemented on SCADA & Controls equipment as specified.
- Work in a team to develop and improve the system standards;
- Assist with technical training for team members and new employees;
- Build a quality culture of continuous improvement that enhances company efficiency and engineering quality;
- Drive a safety culture that embraces both a “Responsibility to act” and “Show by Example” approach;
- Perform other duties and special projects, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or related degree from an ABET accredited program required.
- Preferred: Professional Engineering License
- Minimum 5 years’ experience within an Engineering discipline
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in specific to Solar / BESS SCADA engineering
- Utility scale Power Generation controls experience highly desired.
- Understanding of network security protocols and cyber security standards
- Experience with integration of Energy Storage Systems with Renewable Plants
- Experience with programming substation relays (GE, SEL, etc.)
- Knowledge of IT networks and telecommunications infrastructure
- Detailed knowledge of SCADA systems and software.
- Experience with SEL RTAC / IEC 61131-3 Logic Engine, or comparable plant control devices such as PLCs.
- Experience with OPC, Modbus, SEL, EtherNet/IP and DNP3 protocols
- Experience with change management best practices
- Knowledge of electrical generation management and control systems in IOU/ISO world
- Knowledge of industry trends
- Strong Verbal and written communication skills
- Highly data driven and analytical.
- Strong knowledge in Engineering Principles and Processes
- Ability to Teach, Train & Mentor
- High proficiency in MS Excel, MS Word & Outlook
- Project management skills
- Customer focus driven.
The above-listed salary range is required by the California Pay Transparency Act and may differ depending on the location of those candidates hired nationwide. The salary range shared in the job description is for the listed position and only pertains to the candidate if they work in Irvine, CA. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to internal pay equity, skill set, education, licenses and certifications, geographic location, essential job duties and requirements, and the necessary experience relative to the job’s minimum qualifications. An additional discretionary bonus structure or incentives may be offered as part of the overall compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, dental, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
· Stationary Position: frequently remains stationary up to 90% of the time and sitting up to 8 hours in a day
· Move/Traverse: infrequently bend, stand, stoop and/or walk
· Carry Weight: infrequently carry weight and/or lift objects (light to heavy) weighing up to 10 pounds
· Hearing and Speech: frequently communicates with the ability to hear and talk on a regular basis with employees, coworkers, and all personnel matters; must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations
· Sight: frequent use of sight to detect images on computer, office documents, and office objects near and far
· Climb: occasionally ascends/descends on stairway to get to office upper and lower floors
· Travel: review above travel requirement for this position
· Regular professional, office business setting
· Noise level ranges from low to moderate (if in office setting)
· Noise level ranges from moderate to high (if on construction worksite)
Hanwha Q Cells is proud to be an at-will Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination against race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship, disability, protected veteran status and any other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this statement shall imply implicitly or explicitly a guarantee of employment outside our at-will employment opportunity.