Cost Estimating Manager
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2023
The Distributed Energy (DE) team develops, invests in, and delivers distribution-connected solar and battery energy storage system (BESS) projects in North America. The DE team offers the full spectrum of BESS and PV+BESS solutions – from integrated ESS hardware and software, project development and investment to asset management and operations.
Q CELLS C&I Solar + Storage team is looking for a Cost Estimating Manager to provide cost and technical guidance during project origination/development phases for Commercial & Industrial scale and small utility scale PV+ESS, PV Only, or ESS only projects across the United States. The Cost Estimating Manager will support the Development and Project Finance teams from project initiation through booking. This role will have experience in project-level technical due diligence, and project cost estimating via a proprietary or commercial estimating tool. On our Energy Services Team, the Cost Estimating Manager will have a great opportunity to explore fast-growing C&I PV & Storage markets. This position will be remote, reporting to the Sr. Director of Engineering & Delivery who works out of our San Francisco office. The position requires some flexibility to travel as necessary to visit project sites for opportunities and site assessments, likely less than 5%. This position is based out of our San Francisco Headquarters office. This role may be eligible for remote work under certain circumstances.
- Work collaboratively with the Project Development team, which includes the Project Developer, Project Manager, other Project Engineers, Project Analysts, Product Managers, and Project Finance, as well as outside consultants.
- Develop Class 5 through Class 2 Estimates, depending on sales stage and available information, for solar and storage projects.
- Deliver technical due diligence in support of the Origination/Development team for opportunities at various stages of development.
- Work with Helioscope or PVSyst designs provided by others to help engineers develop cost efficient conceptual layouts and electrical single-line diagrams for those opportunities.
- Carry out technology reviews for PV or ESS equipment and work with manufacturers for acceptability for use in long term operating assets.
- Deliver cost leadership in support of the Project Finance team for stakeholders' interests including investors, site owner, utilities, off-takers, and EPC partners.
- Visit project sites to assess and collect key project technical information, such as site structures, electrical drawings, site electricity load data, and costs.
- Work with the Development Project Manager to source and manage external consultants, partners, contractors, and vendors, including developing Scope of Work documents, managing RFP/RFI process, and controlling scope and schedule to obtain similar deliverables.
- Maintain a database of received EPC costs to continuously update estimating tool.
- Support the execution team in customer change order estimates and evaluation of contractor change order costs.
- Maintain a database of final project costs for comparison against original preliminary estimates to refine estimation tools.
- Perform other duties and special projects, as assigned by senior management.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Electrical, or Energy engineering science.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in solar or ESS project cost estimating.
- Capability to review engineering and technical matters with commercial perspective.
- Experience estimating roof-top, carport, and ground-mount projects in distributed generation.
- Comfortable and accustomed to work with various project stakeholders, including investors, EPC partners, developers, consultants, and O&M contractors.
- Advanced proficiency in engineering and estimating software and energy modeling applications, such as AutoCAD, PVsyst, Geli, and Microsoft office tools.
- Able work to with dynamic surroundings and be team-oriented
- Able to develop written/verbal work deliverables that are organized and appropriate to the respective audience
Hanwha Q CELLS America Inc. (“HQCA”) is headquartered in Irvine, CA, and handles sales for the North American region. It is a subsidiary of Hanwha Q CELLS Co., Ltd., one of the world´s largest and most recognized photovoltaic manufacturers for its high-performance, high-quality solar cells and modules. It is headquartered in Seoul, South Korea (Global Executive HQ), Thalheim, Germany (Technology & Innovation HQ), and San Francisco, USA (Energy Storage/Inverter & Software HQ). Through its growing global business network spanning Europe, North America, Asia, South America, Africa, and the Middle East, the company provides excellent services and long-term partnerships to its customers in the utility, commercial, government, and residential markets. Hanwha Q CELLS is a flagship company of Hanwha Group, a FORTUNE Global 500 firm, and a Top 8 business enterprise in South Korea. HQCA recently acquired Geli, a leading developer of Energy Management System software for energy storage, solar, and other renewable resources.
· Medical, Dental, Vision
· Paid Time Off
· Tuition Reimbursement
· Paid Holidays
* All benefits dependent on role and eligibility
Physical, Mental, & Physical Demands
To comply with the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the essential physical, mental and environmental requirements for this job are listed below. These are requirements normally expected to perform regular job duties. Incumbent must be able to successfully perform all of the functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Standing: 20% of time
Sitting: 70% of time
Walking: 10% of time
Pulling: up to 10 Pounds
Pushing: up to 10 Pounds
Carrying: up to 10 Pounds
Lifting: up to 10 Pounds
Agility (F = Frequently, O = Occasionally, N = Never)
Dexterity (F = Frequently, O = Occasionally, N = Never)
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.