Senior Electrical Designer
Other Engineering, Design
United States · Remote
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2023
Hanwha Q CELLS USA Corp (“HQC US”) develops, invests, and delivers solar photovoltaic (PV) and battery energy storage systems (BESS) projects through Engineering, Procurement, Construction (EPC) services in North America.
The company brings a decade of global leadership in solar PV to deliver utility-scale power generation plants customized for local and regional energy markets. HQC US offers the full spectrum of PV solutions – from the core technology of cells and modules to large-scale project development and investment. With proven capabilities across the solar and battery storage value chain, HQC US minimizes uncertainty and risk and helps customers achieve a higher return on their investment in renewable energy.
The Senior Electrical Designer will provide engineering support to the EPC team and is responsible for assisting in all stages of project design. This position reports to the Director of Engineering, or another management personnel that the Vice President of Engineering may designate. This position is located remotely and working hours are Monday through Friday, from 8:00am to 5:00pm or 9:00am to 6:00pm local time (PST). This position is expected to travel up to 30%.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTION & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design and develop detailed electrical systems and plans for BESS and PV systems, including equipment layouts, single-line diagrams, three-line diagrams, conduit and cable sizing/routing, grounding design, trench section drawings, general arrangement, and selection of major components.
- Prepare initial and advanced design concepts during the proposal stage of projects with minimal information or guidance.
- Prepare drawings for civil, and structural elements of PV design as needed.
- Prepare various reports and documents such as bill of materials, basis of design, and studies as needed.
- Plays a key role in the development of CAD standards, considering the needs of both engineering and design departments.
- Efficiently simplify project tasks within their discipline, enhancing productivity.
- Play a significant role in the Quality Assurance/Quality Control process, proactively taking ownership of project and task quality.
- Sustain excellent relationships with clients on behalf of the company
- Uphold high standards of professionalism and ethics within the organization.
- Commit to continuous learning to stay updated with current issues.
- Participate in safety training sessions and adheres to safety rules and guidelines.
- Work in a team to develop and improve the system standards;
- Assist with technical training for team members and new employees;
- Build a quality culture of continuous improvement that enhances company efficiency and engineering quality;
- Drive a safety culture that embraces both a “Responsibility to act” and “Show by Example” approach;
- Perform other duties and special projects, as assigned.
- An associate or bachelor’s degree in engineering or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years of engineering design experience in the solar industry or power industry.
- Ability to lead group of designers and train new designers.
- Relevant work experience in the electrical design of BESS and PV power plants.
- Proficiency with AutoCAD is required.
- Must have excellent technical communication abilities, including reading technical literature and engineering plans.
- Strong in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Knowledge of the National Electric Code.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong command of English language both written and spoken.
- Assertive, able to cope with pressure, a team player.
- Candidates must currently have the authorization to work full-time in the United States.
The above-listed salary range is required by the California Pay Transparency Act and may differ depending on the location of those candidates hired nationwide. The salary range shared in the job description is for the listed position and only pertains to the candidate if they work in Irvine, CA. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to internal pay equity, skill set, education, licenses and certifications, geographic location, essential job duties and requirements, and the necessary experience relative to the job’s minimum qualifications. An additional discretionary bonus structure or incentives may be offered as part of the overall compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, dental, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
· Stationary Position: frequently remains stationary up to 90% of the time and sitting up to 8 hours in a day
· Move/Traverse: infrequently bend, stand, stoop and/or walk
· Carry Weight: infrequently carry weight and/or lift objects (light to heavy) weighing up to 10 pounds
· Hearing and Speech: frequently communicates with the ability to hear and talk on a regular basis with employees, coworkers, and all personnel matters; must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations
· Sight: frequent use of sight to detect images on computer, office documents, and office objects near and far
· Climb: occasionally ascends/descends on stairway to get to office upper and lower floors
· Travel: review above travel requirement for this position
· Regular professional, office business setting
· Noise level ranges from low to moderate (if in office setting)
· Noise level ranges from moderate to high (if on construction worksite)
Hanwha Q Cells is proud to be an at-will Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination against race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship, disability, protected veteran status and any other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this statement shall imply implicitly or explicitly a guarantee of employment outside our at-will employment opportunity.