Power Electronics, Sr. Reliability Engineer
Santa Clara, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2023
Hanwha Q CELLS Co., Ltd., is one of the world´s largest and most recognized photovoltaic manufacturers for its high-performance, high-quality solar cells and modules. It is headquartered in Seoul, South Korea (Global Executive HQ) and Talheim, Germany (Technology & Innovation HQ). Through its growing global business network spanning Europe, North America, Asia, South America, Africa, and the Middle East, the company provides excellent services and long-term partnerships to its customers in the utility, commercial, government, and residential markets. Hanwha Q CELLS is a flagship company of Hanwha Group, a FORTUNE Global 500 firm and a Top 7 business enterprise in South Korea.
Our mission is to provide affordable and smart energy solutions through technology and innovation to create a sustainable future for the planet. We are expanding our business by offering revolutionary energy systems to residential customers including ESS, MLPE (power optimizers, micro-inverters), EV charging solutions, and Smart IoT with world-class solutions.
We are looking for a Power Electronics, Sr. Reliability Engineer with a strong background in power electronics components (MOSFETs, IGBTs, capacitors, etc.). In this role, you will play a key role in designing reliability in our ground-breaking products. As a successful candidate, you will follow the reliability lifecycle of our products from concept to design, development, manufacturing, and field operation to design-in, confirm, and grow exceptional reliability at every stage.
- Apply solid knowledge of reliability methods and power electronics systems to design accelerated test plans for design validation, burn-in testing, environmental stress screening (ESS), ongoing reliability testing (ORT), and demonstration of reliability growth
- Work with manufacturing quality, service engineering, supplier quality, and design teams to identify root causes and drive resolution for failures originating in testing and in the field
- Generate process validation test plans to implement at suppliers. Drive root cause corrective action with suppliers to resolve production process issues
- Facilitate and lead design FMEA sessions to assess product risks, determine validation test plans, and drive reliable design choices
- Analyze field usage and environmental conditions to optimize requirement setting and test methods
- Apply reliability lessons learned to enable continuous improvement
- Oversee the creation of our electrical component library, evaluating the suitability of components and manufacturers across all FETC projects
- BS, or MS, or PhD in EE
- 3+ years of experience working in power electronics / high voltage laboratory testing environment (including relevant internship or academic lab work experience)
- PCB board-level experience with the ability to read and communicate PCBA schematics, etc.
- Experience with burn-in testing, Environmental Stress Screening (ESS), Ongoing Reliability Testing (ORT)
- Knowledge of the ReliaSoft Synthesis Platform, including Weibull++, BlockSim, ALTA, RGA
- Knowledge of reliability warranty analysis and reliability prediction methods
- Working knowledge of applied statistics and experience with statistical software such as JMP, Minitab, etc.
- Working knowledge of failure analysis techniques such as optical microscopy, SEM, CSAM, X-ray, cross-sectioning, and EDX
- Strong problem-solving skills and a thorough understanding of sophisticated electrical test setups
- Remain engaged, proactive, and positive in tough circumstances. Own assignments and take full accountability for their success, with the ability to change direction quickly
- Experienced with qualification of components and vendors of electronic components and power electronics semiconductors
- Master’s or PhD degree in Reliability Engineering, or ASQ Certified Reliability Engineer is a plus
- Proven self-starter: identifies issues and creates solutions
- Reliability experience in the industry of solar, electric vehicle, or battery storage
- Working knowledge in power electronics and power conversion topologies
- Startup experience preferred