Solar/PV Sr. Electrical Engineer
United States · Remote
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2023
QCELLS Enable is the EPC branch of Qcells for the Commercial, Industrial, Distributed Generation, and Small Utility Scale solar market. Our mission is to be a world class designer and installer of large-scale PV and ESS systems throughout the US. We are based in Teaneck, NJ. Our position as a leading module manufacturer means we are able to offer end-to-end solutions for project developers and system owners. We are expanding our offerings and have several open positions currently
The Senior Electrical Engineer will be responsible for handling all complex power systems matters of projects from sales origination and bid set design through project startup and commissioning. Electrical Engineering is a shared resource for the entire company and serves as the ultimate technical authority on all DC and AC power system topics. Further, this role will be responsible for providing technical mentorship to others in the company and will soon take on management responsibilities of more junior electrical engineers.
This position requires a comprehensive understanding of all power systems topics for design, estimation, specification, procurement, construction, interconnection, and operation of a distributed generation solar photovoltaic power plant. The Senior Electrical Engineer will be responsible for technical signoff of all internal design drawings, 3rd party engineering, vendor shop drawings, bill of materials, installation methods, inspections, punch lists, and commissioning documents.
This position reports to the Director of Engineering. This position is open to hybrid or remote, US.
- Responsible for leading and coordinating all technical aspects of utility coordination including; single line and three-line drawings, plan and elevation drawings, general arrangement and site layout, relay protection and control requirements, grounding systems.
- Supporting equipment sourcing efforts, value engineering, planning & tracking project design reviews, quality control/quality assurance, and contractor management.
- Provide oversight and reviews of deliverables in the proposal/bid phase including: conceptual design engineering and BOM, preparing proposal technical specifications; develop assumptions, clarifications, and exceptions, Sourcing for vendor quotations.
- Responsible for all electrical design deliverables for projects through a combination of internal and external designers and engineering consultants.
- Coordinate with operations team members for construction administration and final commissioning.
- Create and maintain design tools, design standards, specifications, and best practices for electrical system design.
- Perform arc flash and short circuit analysis.
- Oversee design submittal and equipment approval for all interconnections.
- Provide technical mentorship through written and oral communication to other members of the company.
- Lead and manage members of the developing electrical engineering team to effectively design and support the company’s projects and in their professional development.
- All other assignments and special projects, as requested by Management.
- Regular attendance, in accordance with company's attendance policy and supervisory assignment, is an essential job duty requirement for this position.
- Bachelors degree in engineering from an ABET accredited university or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 8 years of professional experience in a related field.
- Strong understand of 3-phase power systems, distribution service equipment, and balance of system components for solar photovoltaic distributed generation assets.
- Ability to communicate the basis of design and technical design decisions in a clear and concise manner.
- Working knowledge of specific requirements for distributed generation / medium voltage interconnections including effective grounding, protection, controls, fault duty, and other CESIR fields.
- Ability to size and specify a grounding transformer, pole mounted equipment, MV switchgear, step up transformers, switchboards, panelboards, inverters, DAS, etc.
- Capable of independently performing power system studies with all SKM modules
- Highly functional with Microsoft Office.
- Confident resourcing required information to make independent technical decisions
- Comfortable with having the ultimate technical responsibility for all electrical specifications and design standards.
- Willingness to perform value engineering and explore cost savings opportunities.
- Self-starting for dynamic start-up environment with limited procedural guidance.
- Experience with Battery Energy Storage Systems, Microgrids, EV Charging, etc.
- Advanced degree in Electrical Engineering or Power Systems Engineering
- Prior experience or employment with manufacturers of switchgear and transformers
- Prior experience or employment with a Utility, ISO, IPP, or other generation/T&D entity
- Prior employment experience with a Professional Engineering firm
- Holds a Professional Engineer (P.E.) license in Electrical
- Experience leading other engineers
WHAT WE OFFER
- Benefits- Medical, Vision, and Dental coverage starts day one, NO waiting period
- 401k Company Match
- PTO + Sick Days + Holidays
- Bonus structure
- Career advancement opportunity
Hanwha Q CELLS provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, and/or genetics.