Agricultural Processor (Kona)
Hawaii'i 'Ulu Cooperative
Reports to: Honalo Facility Operations Manager
Location: 79-1017 E Honalo Rd Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
The Agricultural Processor position is responsible for carrying out HUC Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), following co-op policies, and adhering to the instruction and guidance of Processing Supervisors and Management in a food manufacturing environment. This position is responsible for showing up to work on time for scheduled shifts wearing approved dress code, complying with supervisor direction and feedback, clocking in and out of work shifts, breaks and departments as instructed, and communicating any questions, concerns, suggestions or HR issues as they arise. He/she follows work instructions efficiently, implements policies and procedures as directed, and recommends improvements in production methods, equipment, operating procedures and working conditions as needed.
- Show up on time to scheduled shifts and work for the entire shift unless previously communicated with and approved by management.
- Follow HUC dress code for processors.
- Implement company SOPs and food safety procedures, as instructed by supervisors.
- Communicate any questions, concerns, problems, suggestions for improvement, and HR issues promptly and clearly with supervisors and/or management.
- Work effectively to balance quality, productivity, cost, safety and morale to achieve positive results in all areas. Work to continuously improve in all areas.
- Keep in mind the seasonal nature of an agricultural business and communicate scheduling changes, concerns or questions with management promptly and clearly.
- Work effectively with co-workers, supervisors, and management through clear and timely communication via in person meetings, phone and email correspondence, as needed.
- Organization and detail orientation.
- Ability to follow instruction and communicate questions or concerns.
- Performance and time management.
- Positive attitude and strong team player.
- Communication proficiency, including through text, email and/or other online methods.
- Time management and punctuality.
- Technical capacity.
- Learning orientation.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities at this time.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to hot or cold temperatures, and be asked to handle inventory in a walk in refrigerator or freezer.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk and use hands to handle, carry, peel, cut and package. The employee is occasionally required to sit or crouch. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
As ‘ulu is a seasonal crop, work demands of this position may vary throughout the year, with 35-40 hours per week during peak season (July-November) and 20 hours or less per week during off-season months. However, ‘ulu season itself can be variable and shorter flushes may occur in the winter and spring. Hours of work are dependent on shift schedule and typically range from 6:30am to 4pm from Tuesday through Thursday and from 9am to 5pm on Fridays during high season. Occasional morning or weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
No travel is regularly expected for this position other than to and from the Honalo facility.
Required Education and Experience
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Previous experience in agriculture or a production environment preferred.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Food safety certification.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
None required for this position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Hawaiʻi ʻUlu Co-op strives to foster a diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture focused on continuous learning and welcomes individuals with work and lived experiences that align with and complement the organization’s mission and vision. The co-op does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, size, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law and is an employment-at-will company. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.