Director, Machine and Mechanical Design Engineering
Heliogen is a renewable energy technology company focused on decarbonizing industry and empowering a sustainable civilization. Powered by AI, computer vision, and robotics, Heliogen’s concentrating solar thermal solutions turn sunlight into heat, steam, power or green hydrogen fuel to help industries such as mining, cement, steel, and transportation transition to clean energy. For ambitious business and technology professionals seeking to have a meaningful impact on climate change and the health of humanity and our planet, Heliogen offers the opportunity to address global challenges through collaboration with a world-class, dynamic team of forward-thinking leaders.
About this role:
We are seeking an experienced Director to lead our Mechanical Design Engineering team in the development and implementation of our innovative thermal energy and power generation solutions. As a Director, you will be responsible for managing a small team of mechanical design engineers overseeing the design, development, and testing of our products and their implementation into projects.
Team size: 4 -8 ; role reports into the VP, Process & Power Systems
This is a hybrid role (3 days a week onsite) in either Pasadena, CA or Houston, TX
In this role, you will:
- Lead and manage a team of mechanical design engineers in the development of new products and solutions that meet the needs of Heliogen's customers.
- Ensure that all designs are safe, easily manufacturable, reliable, and efficient, and meet industry standards and regulations.
- Collaborate with other team leads, such as heliostats, systems and simulations, and software engineering, production to integrate mechanical systems with other components of Heliogen's solutions.
- Oversee the development and testing of prototypes, and work with the engineering team to refine designs based on performance data.
- Manage the budget and timeline for product development effort and ensure that the team delivers on time and within budget.
- Work with project management team to support project engineering work; Ensure quality and timely delivery of work output from the team in support of the project
- Build and maintain relationships with suppliers and vendors, and work with them to source components and materials.
- Stay up to date with industry developments and emerging technologies and incorporate new ideas and approaches into Heliogen's designs.
- Mentor and train junior members of the mechanical design team, and provide guidance and support as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or related field.
- 10+ years of experience in mechanical design engineering, with 3+ years as a technical lead or manager
- Solution oriented, with strong leadership and people management skills, with experience managing and coaching a team of engineers.
- Strong technical skills in mechanical design, good understanding of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T), tolerance stack up
- Good understanding and ability to interpret results from thermal and stress analysis
- Experienced with full product development cycle for large scale equipment, best practices and demonstrated ability to systematically plan and execute on a risk mitigation path
- General experience with project engineering workflow for large capital projects and implementation of new products in such projects
- Knowledge of industry standards and codes e.g. ASME / EN / ISO.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with a focus on data-driven decision making.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to build and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience designing components that operate in high temperature (400-1000 oC) environments, including management of thermal stresses/gradients, creep
- Experience with CAD software, such as SolidWorks and experience working with commercial Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) platform
- Experience working in a startup
- Experience with multiple stages of the design process including detailed design and prototype manufacturing
- Good understanding of manufacturing processes and their impact on product design and cost
- Experience in industrial kiln, dryer design or other large scale industrial equipment
- Experience with stress analysis using methods appropriate to the level of design maturity using hand calculations or commercially available software such as ANSYS
- Professional Engineering license
- Experience in solar energy, renewable energy, or related fields
Heliogen was created at Idealab, the leading technology incubator, and became a public company (NYSE: HLGN) in December 2021. For more information about Heliogen, please visit heliogen.com.
Something looks off?