Senior Instrumentation and Control Engineer
Heliogen is a renewable energy technology company focused on decarbonizing industry and empowering a sustainable civilization. Powered by AI, computer vision, and robotics, Heliogen’s concentrating solar thermal solutions turn sunlight into heat, steam, power or green hydrogen fuel to help industries such as mining, cement, steel, and transportation transition to clean energy. For ambitious business and technology professionals seeking to have a meaningful impact on climate change and the health of humanity and our planet, Heliogen offers the opportunity to address global challenges through collaboration with a world-class, dynamic team of forward-thinking leaders.
About this role:
In this role you will be working with the team to build the instrumentation, control and electrical design strategy for thermal energy transport and storage systems at Heliogen. You will be working within the Process and Power Systems team and collaborating with several other teams within Heliogen to successfully deliver innovative, next generation clean energy projects.
We are seeking a highly motivated team player to join our outstanding multidisciplinary team of engineers. It is expected that you will provide leadership in the subject matter to shape the future of clean energy, through developing innovative instrumentation, control and electrical design solutions.
This is a hybrid role (3 days a week onsite) in either Pasadena, CA or Houston, TX
In this role, you will:
- Innovate, design and develop near term and long term I&C solutions for thermal systems, power blocks, and plant control systems
- Develop instrumentation concepts; Collaborate with fabrication and testing team to develop and test out new concepts / designs
- Participate in development of P&IDs, equipment control logic, and instrumentation procurement packages
- Work with stakeholders to develop the process control philosophy
- Develop thermal systems control architecture diagrams, I/O List, instrument tagging, electrical equipment and controls specifications, and wiring diagrams within the scope of thermal systems
- Develop logic diagram, control narratives and cause & effects analysis
- Develop specifications and oversee the design of PLC, SCADA, and DCS systems
- Participate in PHA/HAZID/HAZOP, constructability and operability/maintainability discussions
- Field support during FAT, SAT, construction, startup and commissioning etc.
- Lead and/or self-perform the execution of engineering activities, working closely with other project functions such as scheduling, project controls, procurement, and construction
- Other work as assigned
- BS degree in Engineering or higher from an ABET accredited program, Electrical, Mechanical, or Chemical Engineering Degree preferred
- Strong experience (7+ yrs) in instrumentation, controls and electrical, design within heavy industries such as power generation, refinery, chemical etc.
- Experienced in delivering small – medium sized projects from conceptualization through commissioning
- Expert knowledge in Codes and Standards such as ASME, NFPA, NEC, IEEE, API, PIP ISO, etc.
- Working knowledge of the design of instrumented control and safety instrumented systems
- Basic understanding of various Process and Mechanical systems
- Possess a high degree of initiative and ability to work independently
- Extensive experience (10+ yrs) in instrumentation, controls and electrical, design within heavy industries such as power generation, refinery, chemical etc.
- Experience leading the IC&E engineering effort on large capital projects
- Experience in developing control systems for high temperature, dry and abrasive particle/powder applications
- Experienced to work in database driven digital design environment – e.g. AVEVA P&ID, electrical
- Experience with standardized plant numbering/tagging system e.g. RDS-PP/KKS system or equivalent
- Demonstrated evidence of developing innovative designs and contributing to the generation of Intellectual property for the organization
Heliogen was created at Idealab, the leading technology incubator, and became a public company (NYSE: HLGN) in December 2021. For more information about Heliogen, please visit heliogen.com.