Senior/Principal Electrical Engineer (Projects)
Heliogen is a renewable energy technology company focused on decarbonizing industry and empowering a sustainable civilization. Powered by AI, computer vision, and robotics, Heliogen’s concentrating solar thermal solutions turn sunlight into heat, steam, power or green hydrogen fuel to help industries such as mining, cement, steel, and transportation transition to clean energy. For ambitious business and technology professionals seeking to have a meaningful impact on climate change and the health of humanity and our planet, Heliogen offers the opportunity to address global challenges through collaboration with a world-class, dynamic team of forward-thinking leaders.
About this role:
The Senior Electrical Engineer will play an integral part of the projects team. The Senior Electrical Engineer will report to the Director, Construction Engineering to support the design construction of Heliogen’s facilities. You will work with the Engineering and construction team to design a functional and optimized operating facility.
Location: Houston, Texas or Pasadena, California
Working arrangement: Hybrid (3 days/week in the office)
In this role, you will:
Broadly, the electrical engineer will work independently and collaborate with engineering firms to design a functional and optimized operating facility. Specific activities may include:
- Oversee projects through the full life cycle
- Determine engineering scope and set up an engineering work plan for the electrical discipline on complex engineering projects
- Develop electrical drawings, single line diagrams, load flow lists, specifications/datasheets, electrical design calculations, load studies, system loss calculations, wire and equipment schedules and other deliverables to support FEED package and detailed engineering.
- Perform power sizing calculations for plant equipment and components used in complex industrial systems.
- Ability to determine local electrical code requirements for Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ)
- Review and approval of engineering contractor deliverables such as equipment designs, specifications, grounding requirements, back-up power design, etc.
- Provide RFP support for bidding contractors.
- Identify issues and opportunities as well as help clarify areas of complexity during all phases of the engineering design work.
- Provide construction support, owning transmittals, submittals and requests for information from construction team.
- Interface with other discipline engineers to develop interdisciplinary drawings and specifications
- Perform or participate in electrical and reliability related risk and safety assessments
- Participate in Site Layout, 3D Model, and P&ID Reviews, as well as safety reviews (HAZID, HAZOP/ SIL) for FEED and projects.
- Site visits may be required (~10-15% of time)
- Work package technical review to support safe and reliable construction, start-up, and commissioning
- BS in electrical engineering or electronic engineering and relevant experience.
- 7 - 10 years' experience as an electrical engineer designing and optimizing electrical systems.
- Experience designing electrical distribution systems, medium voltage power and substations.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Proactively resolve any discrepancies in design requirement and able to meet the project schedule
- Proven ability to provide construction and electrical engineering support for large projects
- Professional Engineering license
- Experience in power, oil & gas, or industrial projects
- Previous experience with concentrating solar energy processes
- Experience at an electrical distribution facility.
California only full-time salary range between $120,000 - $190,000 + equity + benefits.
Heliogen was created at Idealab, the leading technology incubator, and became a public company (NYSE: HLGN) in December 2021. For more information about Heliogen, please visit heliogen.com.