Heliogen is a renewable energy technology company focused on decarbonizing industry and empowering a sustainable civilization. Powered by AI, computer vision, and robotics, Heliogen’s concentrating solar thermal solutions turn sunlight into heat, steam, power or green hydrogen fuel to help industries such as mining, cement, steel, and transportation transition to clean energy. For ambitious business and technology professionals seeking to have a meaningful impact on climate change and the health of humanity and our planet, Heliogen offers the opportunity to address global challenges through collaboration with a world-class, dynamic team of forward-thinking leaders.
About this role:
Based in Houston, TX with travel 75-100% to project location in Plains, TX
Heliogen is seeking an experienced and highly skilled Construction Manager to manage construction for Heliogen projects in the Southwest US. Initially you will be responsible for our Concentrated Solar Thermal plant construction in Plains, TX. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in managing all aspects of construction, from initial planning and budgeting to project completion. The Construction Manager will report to the Senior Vice President of Operations and will play a crucial role in ensuring projects are delivered on time, within scope, and in adherence to quality and safety standards.
As a Heliogen Construction Manager, you take projects from start to finish, work with all internal and external team members to solve problems, and aggressively address obstacles blocking project success. You are experienced in typical construction practices such as project management, labor management, scheduling, and safety best practices. You enjoying working as part of a high performing team.
In this role, you will:
- Responsible for the organization and direction of all construction planning related activities, including coordination with the Project Management Team
- Supervision of all Heliogen field engineers
- Leads in project meetings and provides direction and input to execution planning, schedules, cost and general construction execution
- Knowledgeable of construction procedures, work processes and automation tools used by construction and other functional organizations
- Responsible for total site management including supervision of construction craft personnel, field engineering, contract administration, cost and schedule, field procurement, finance and accounting services, and industrial relations
- Responsible for ensuring on-site adherence to Heliogen’s environmental, health, and safety program.
- Works with Project Controls to manage all job-site expenditures for labor equipment, material and services and ensures field operations are within the budget
- Participates in contracts and subcontracts negotiations
- Responsible for implementation of an effective community relations plan for the site
- Ensures required permits and licenses are in place prior to the start of construction activities and operations at the job site
- Act as product representative for heliostat field install to subcontractors, including initial coordination of heliostat commissioning activities
- Willingness to travel 75-100% of time to project location in Plains, TX
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related field from an accredited university and minimum 8 years of related professional experience, or in lieu of degree, minimum 15 years of related experience
- Minimum 3 years of supervisory experience including management of multifunctional organizations
- Experience managing projects $20M and greater
- Knowledge of all phases of construction operations relating to field activities of all disciplines, construction technologies and jobsite management
- Experience managing both subcontracted and self-performed construction projects
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office Suite tools and familiar with Primavera P6
- Effective time management and multi-taskings skills; addresses all tasks with a sense of urgency
- Demonstrated commitment to Environment, Safety and Health (ES&H)
- Technical knowledge of a specialized engineering discipline, cost, scheduling and/or contracts administration relating to the construction of heavy industrial or commercial complexes.
- Knowledge of the phases of project scoping, planning, procurement of materials and execution relating to the construction of multi-discipline works
- Experience managing projects of $100M or greater
- Knowledge of project-specific environmental compliance requirements
- Experience with projects located in Texas, specifically related to energy, oil & gas, and power generation
Heliogen was created at Idealab, the leading technology incubator, and became a public company (NYSE: HLGN) in December 2021. For more information about Heliogen, please visit heliogen.com.