Accounting & Finance
Seattle, WA, USA
Posted on Saturday, February 3, 2024
About Mast Reforestation (Mast):
As the leading end-to-end reforestation company in the U.S., Mast is on a mission to make reforestation scalable. As bigger and hotter fires destroy more forestland every year, Mast provides fast, resilient forest restoration for landowners impacted by devastating wildfires. As the only vertically-integrated reforestation company in the industry, Mast has removed the financial, procedural, and seed supply barriers that typically stand in the way of getting reforestation done. Mast collects native, diverse seed species and manages site preparation, planting, and ongoing monitoring, delivering high quality projects. By assembling first-of-its-kind third party capital, Mast delivers these projects at no-cost to landowners. With trusted forestry companies Silvaseed and Cal Forest in its portfolio, Mast is the largest seed bank and reforestation container stock producer in the Western U.S. Mast is also an innovation center for the non-timber forestry supply chain, developing various biological and technical products for achieving land management goals more efficiently. To learn more, visit www.mastreforest.com and watch this video of our recent Montana project (hyperlink: https://www.mastreforest.com/reforestation)
If you’re inspired by our work, we’d encourage you to apply!
Mast Reforestation is looking for a Financial Controller to lead the accounting function. The Financial Controller will manage Mast Reforetation (Mast) and its subsidiaries' accounting function. Financial Controller will implement the cost accounting for production, develop an inventory system, design internal controls, handle the financial statement production, and work with the management team and FP&A to recommend ways to measure company performance based on financial results. The individual will also assume the responsibility for the accuracy and timeline of tax returns and oversee the implementation of ASC 606.
What you’ll be doing:
The role of a Financial Controller (FC) will serve as Mast (and its subsidiaries) lead accountant, responsible for both accounting and financial reporting. On the accounting side, the FC will be responsible for accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and conducting the monthly close such as preparing and reviewing journal entries and preparing and reviewing monthly reconciliations. On the financial reporting side, the FC will ensure recorded financial data is complete and accurate, and transactions are recorded on time, and within the rules set by our company policy and in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). When there’s a discrepancy in the books, the FC will spot it, figure out what happened, and follow up with stakeholders. Additionally, the FC will have the responsibility of overseeing the financial statement production on a monthly basis, general ledger management and ensuring that the chart of accounts is appropriate and cost allocations, and tax compliance as it relates to Federal, B&O, excise, state and local taxes. Finally, the FC will have ownership of the company’s expense policy and will be responsible to see team members are accountable. The FC will be the primary point of contact for the company’s outside accountants and will work to optimize workload between internal and external teams.
- Implementing the unit cost standards for production and recommending changes
- Developing the inventory system and training the staff in the inventory system
- Interpreting strategic targets into comprehensive annual operating and capital budgets
- Designing and implementing Internal Controls - separation of duties, approval of disbursement, SOXs requirements
- Building the accounting team from the ground up and assuming all leadership/managerial responsibilities of the team
- Handling the following accounting functions: AR, AP, GL, financial reporting, and payroll activities
- Closing process and financial statement production: month and year end, make journal entries, reconciliations, check GL for coding errors, oversee staff, assemble monthly financial packet for 3Ps.
- Working with FP&A to support analysis, sales and profit analysis, monthly operation results to budget, variance (month, year), calculate operating metrics and recommend ways to measure company performance based on financial results.
- Monitoring cash flow across accounts, cash flow forecasts, cash transfers and wires when necessary
- Budgeting and forecasting: work with FP&A to prepare
- Acting as the central point of contact for auditors, handling tax prep and annual financial audits for financials, fixed asset information, and tax returns sign-off
- Assuming responsibility for the accuracy and timeliness of all tax returns: sales, payroll, property, excise, W2/1099
- Working cross-functionally with leadership: reviewing financial statements with managers, discussing variances, helping understand trends that impact teams, and responding to requests from senior management.
- Overseeing the implementation of ASC 606.
- A Bachelor's degree in Accounting with CPA or equivalent.
- 8+ years progressive, hands-on accounting experience in fast-paced and changing business environments.
- Strong technical GAAP experience, with public accounting experience preferred.
- 3 years supervisory experience.
- Strong business acumen, attention to detail, and highly analytical mindset.
- Technical expertise of ASC 606 revenue recognition, ASC 718, ASC 705, ASC 842, and other relevant accounting standards codifications for high growth technology service companies.
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system implementation/migration experience.
- Ability to be self-directed and work independently.
- Ability to analyze and handle confidential and sensitive information.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to foster collaborative relationships across the organization.
- Proven ability to build and lead a high performing team and instill operational excellence.
- Excellent written and presentation skills with strong executive presence.
- Knack for improving and simplifying processes, driving standardization, and building scalable systems.
- Proven track record of influencing others, insisting on the highest standards, and challenging the status quo.
- Openness to embracing rapid change.
- Experience managing internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience with ASC 606 implementation.
A plus if you also have:
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
- MBA, CMA, or similar advanced degree.
- Prior role as Assistant Controller or equivalent.
- Background in the manufacturing industry.
- Experience setting up an accounting function from scratch.
- 0->1 Experiences (i.e. startups where comfortable wearing multiple hats).
Benefits of working at DroneSeed: We believe taking care of your health comes first. We cover 75% of your medical, dental, and vision premiums. Life outside of work matters. DroneSeed has a flexible vacation policy, so take the time off you need.
The position can be performed remotely, although the candidates must be eligible to work in the USA. DroneSeed HQ is in the Ballard Brewery District of Seattle, WA. This position may require travel domestically (US) and abroad, therefore requiring the candidate to have a US driver’s license as well as a passport and status conducive to international travel. In any application cover letter, please highlight what motivated you to reach out to DroneSeed versus other opportunities. DroneSeed is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse team.
Mast Reforestation, Silvaseed & Cal Forest offer:
- Competitive salary
- Location-based compensation
- 80% health insurance coverage for Full-Time non-seasonal employees, including Medical, Dental & Vision insurance plans
- Company paid Short Term Disability insurance and Group Term Life insurance
- Company’s incentive stock options (ISO) for eligible employee groups
- Retirement saving plan: 401(k) and Roth 401(k)
- Commuter Benefits in eligible cities
- 6 paid holidays. Two company-wide closing weeks per year.
- Flexible PTO for Salaried employees. Generous PTO accrual for Hourly employees.
- Allowances for out-of-state employees
- Relocation support for out-of-state employees