Assistant Controller (Remote, U.S.)
Who We Are
OhmConnect was founded to help bring 100% clean energy to everyone. We are solving massive inefficiencies in energy markets, changing how people use and view energy, and connecting smart homes with the smart grid. We build products that connect deeply with consumers and invite them to take action to positively impact the planet, their communities, and their wallets.
Do you want to use your skills to fight climate change and positively impact the communities in which we live? OhmConnect, the leader in consumer energy services, is seeking a motivated and passionate Assistant Controller to help animate a world-class solution that reimagines how people use energy.
We are an Equal Opportunity employer striving to create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment where everyone feels that they have a voice that is heard.
We strongly encourage candidates to check out our website at www.ohmconnect.com to learn more about the world-changing work we are doing.
As a member of OhmConnect’s Finance team reporting to the Corporate Controller, you are a tech-savvy Assistant Controller who will lead the accounting function across all businesses. This role requires an experienced hands-on professional who thrives on driving innovation, focusing on establishing and implementing processes and procedures, and assisting with building the department as we scale. You will be responsible for managing an accounting team and assist with all accounting operations for all business entities, including consolidations, transactional accounting (A/R, A/P), revenue recognition, and accruals. You’ll work closely with the FP&A team to support financial planning/budgeting, P&L review, KPI development/reporting, board reporting, and other complex financial analysis required to grow the business. Your work will directly enable OhmConnect to pay the hundreds of thousands of families, primarily in California – many of which are low- or moderate-income – that elect to reduce their electricity use at times when power would otherwise come from fossil fuel-based power plants.
What You Will Do
- Assist with managing the entire accounting operations, including general ledger and all sub-ledgers, for all business operations
- Manage, prepare, and review the month-end closing process and ensure books are closed timely in accordance with US GAAP with appropriate audit-ready supporting documentation
- Manage accounting team and ensure all team goals and objectives are met
- Prepare US GAAP compliant monthly financial statements and reporting packages
- Interface with FP&A on monthly variance analysis, internal reporting, and external reporting to key investors
- Assist with reviewing customer contracts with Market Operations team to determine appropriate revenue recognition for each contract
- Build relationships with department heads to become a trusted finance partner to assist in accurate and timely accounting for all transactions, including accruals
- Assist with designing, implementing and overseeing internal controls as needed
- Manage regulatory compliance in all applicable jurisdictions, including sales tax reporting requirements
- Key stakeholder in planning and managing the annual financial audit, including preparation of audited financial statements
- Assist with coordinating the preparing annual tax returns with outside CPA firm
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field
- 5+ years’ experience in general accounting and financial statement preparation
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP
- Working knowledge of intercompany transactions, transfer pricing, and preparing multi-currency consolidations
- Proven experience with managing an accounting team
- Public accounting experience and CPA preferred
- Experience in energy market is a plus, specifically experience in the California and Texas markets
- Comfortable working in a start-up environment
- Must be hands-on, detail oriented and a self starter
- Experience with NetSuite and operational accounting (A/R, A/P, journal entries)
- Advanced Excel/Sheets, PowerPoint/Keynote skills
- Experience with process development/improvement, unafraid with ambiguity/change
- Ability to manage multiple projects and willingness to pivot on activities as new requests and priorities surface
- Excellent 1-on-1 and team communication skills
- Ability to thrive in a fully-remote work environment
- Desire to understand in depth electricity market operations
- A competitive compensation package base on experience; the base salary for this role is: $120k - $150k
- Fully remote work environment with home office set-up allowance.Full suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, life and disability, and stock options
- Opportunity to help design and implement the accounting operations to support a mission-driven startup that’s building a carbon-neutral world
- Real and lived work-life balance - Company perks include unlimited paid vacation (which our C-level team actively encourages everyone to take!), parental leave, and a corporate value of working sustainably
- Opportunity to work with amazing people who are passionate about reversing climate change, thriving in a fully-remote work environment, and learning and growing every day
Not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Individuals seeking employment at OhmConnect are considered without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identification, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.