Soil Science Lead (San Antonio, TX)
Who are we:
Grassroots Carbon Public Benefit LLC, is building the #1 grasslands soil carbon storage company. We are a fast-growing start-up and Soilworks Natural Capital portfolio company based in San Antonio, TX. Our rapidly expanding land steward network covers over 6 million acres of grasslands across the US, and we have built a foundation of scientific rigor, quality, and trust. Leading companies like Microsoft, Marathon Oil, HEB, Shopify, and Nestle have selected Grassroots Carbon to reach their carbon reduction goals.
Grassroots Carbon offers ranchers additional revenue opportunities via our carbon credit program. We support farmers and ranchers to manage their land for healthy soils, which store more carbon and improve water quality and biodiversity. We are on a mission to convert millions of acres of degraded grazing lands into healthy, thriving grassland ecosystems that capture and store increased amounts of carbon.
We are seeking an expert in soil science, ecosystems, data science, and modeling to work alongside our carbon drawdown credit delivery team and support our passionate community of ranchers across the United States. You will be responsible for providing state-of-the-art insights into the carbon storage potential of ranches based on location and land management parameters.
As the Soil Science Lead, you will have 2 main responsibilities:
1) Own and maintain the third-party verified Grassroots Carbon Soil storage model, ensure the model calibration is enhanced when new data become available, and assess and work with third-party soil carbon models.
2) Oversee the landscape stratification, soil sampling strategy, and soil laboratory analysis approach as executed by our sampling and lab contractors.
- Deliver soil carbon storage assessments, and their uncertainties, to our supply and operations teams.
- Maintain the Grassroots Carbon Soil storage model.
- Improve the precision and accuracy of the model by calibration with high-quality data when they become available.
- Maintain an overview of the quality and capabilities of publicly available third-party soil carbon models.
- Recommend the use of verified and validated third-party soil carbon models.
- Provide insight in model uncertainties, using robust statistical analysis.
- Ensure that models are easy to use by selected GRC team members
- Provide scientific guidance and oversight to the contractors providing stratification, soil sampling, and soil analysis services.
- Enhance the soil sampling and analysis strategy in close cooperation with soil sampling contractors, ensuring the highest quality carbon credits, and the lowest possible costs.
- Explore with third parties the application of novel soil analysis methods, to produce higher-quality data at lower cost.
- Support the development and implementation of additional eco-service credits, such as water retention and biodiversity
- Support the technical and scientific communication and collaboration with project verifiers and the carbon standards as well as carbon credit buying customers or prospects