Operations Specialist (Via for Schools)
Via is using technology to transform transportation around the world. From changing a single person’s daily commute to reducing humanity’s collective environmental footprint — we’ve got huge goals.
As an Operations Manager on the Via for Schools team, you’ll be supporting a partnership with the NYC Department of Education (DOE) to modernize the school busing system across New York City. You’ll be managing the daily operations of our work with school bus companies and serve as the relationship manager across multiple vendors.
The Operations Manager of Via for Schools role requires a combination of strong people skills, organization, persistence, and leadership. You’ll need to be a skillful relationship builder, team-player, multitasker, and a creative problem solver.
**Please note; this is a part-time role that will require 4 hours per day, 5 days a week**
What You’ll Do:
- Serve as a liaison between Via, the DOE, and School Bus Companies (SBCs) and operate as one of the main day-to-day contacts for SBCs and operations vendors;
- Oversee real-time operations for hardware installations, driver trainings, dispatcher trainings, and answer questions and concerns from SBC operators;
- Coordinate directly with SBCs to schedule installations, driver trainings, retrainings, and dispatcher trainings;
- Track completion of installations, driver trainings, retrainings, and dispatcher trainings and follow up directly with each SBC to ensure completion;
- Coordinate equipment ordering with equipment vendor and track delivery at each SBC accordingly
Who You Are:
- A strong executor: you know how to prioritize and you get the job done while keeping the big picture firmly in mind
- A self-starter who is comfortable taking initiative and has a high level of responsibility and ownership
- Somebody who believes that the “devil is in the details” - very organized, systematic, and detail-oriented
- A adaptable problem solver that is comfortable with ambiguity and evolving as things change
- Previous project management, operations, or customer service experience are a plus
- Outgoing and sociable; skilled at communicating professionally with external partners (school bus drivers, school bus company dispatchers, members of the DOE team, etc) from a broad range of backgrounds
- Willing to wear multiple hats and contribute on projects of all types with various stakeholders
- Comfortable with Excel
- Strong verbal and written communication
- Ability to identify when to respond and when to escalate an issue
- Fluent in English, additional languages a plus
- Bachelor’s degree is a plus
- Based in the greater New York City area
Compensation and Benefits:
- Final salary will be determined by the candidate’s experience, knowledge, and skills. Salary reflected does not include equity or variable pay, where applicable
- Hourly Pay Range: $20.00-$30.00/hr
We’re Via, and we build technology that changes the way the world moves. We pioneered the TransitTech category to ensure that the future of transportation is shared, dynamic public mobility — the kind that reduces carbon emissions across congested cities, minimizes reliance on private cars, and provides everyone with accessible, efficient, and affordable ways of getting around.
We created the first end-to-end TransitTech solution for cities and transit agencies, offering world-class software, service design, and operational expertise to fundamentally improve the way the world moves.
Via was founded with the guiding principle that we go further when we go together. We are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles. All backgrounds, identities, and voices are welcomed and celebrated at Via.
Ready to join the ride?
Via is an equal opportunity employer.