Software Engineer, Citymapper
At Citymapper by Via, we’re on a mission to help make cities easier to navigate. Our app helps millions of people around the world make the best decision on how they want to travel. We work hard to ensure that our millions of daily active users across more than 450 cities have a great and reliable service.
As a Software Engineer Associate Principal – Platform, you will help build and maintain the systems that power the core journey planner app (router and real time data) as well as develop and expand our system around payment, ticketing and 3rd party integrations. This includes the information that is presented to the final user in the apps, but also the internal logs and metrics consumed by other systems and teams.
We recently completed the move to Kubernetes using AWS EKS and Karpenter - our deployment consists of around 5000 pods on average.
What You'll Do:
- Design, maintain, and build backend systems that handle large amounts of transport data with zero downtime
- Take ownership of development, maintenance, testing strategy, deployment, and operations.
- Write, review and discuss technical documents
- Provide support to other engineers and non-technical teams across Citymapper
- Have an impact on product development by making impactful technical decisions, influencing the system architecture, development practices and more
Who You Are:
- 5+ years of software development experience
- Proficient with AWS and Kubernetes
- Proven record of designing and building systems that are highly available and handle large amounts of data
- Reliable, independent, and a team player.
- Able to own and manage high-priority projects in a fast-paced environment.
- A great communicator
What We Offer:
- Joining a global employer with over 600 mobility deployments in 35+ countries
- Becoming part of a company that was awarded for its commitment to social good:
- We are one of 17 Ventures That Embody the U.N.’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals
- Inc. Magazine’s “Best in Business” Awardee in the software category for Companies That Put Purpose Before Profit
- Competitive compensation including stock options
- Comprehensive health scheme offered through AXA
- A hybrid working model and a charming office near Chancery Lane, where you can enjoy weekly team lunches
We’re Via, and we build technology that changes the way the world moves. We pioneered the TransitTech category to ensure that the future of transportation is shared, dynamic public mobility — the kind that reduces carbon emissions across congested cities, minimizes reliance on private cars, and provides everyone with accessible, efficient, and affordable ways of getting around.
We created the first end-to-end TransitTech solution for cities and transit agencies, offering world-class software, service design, and operational expertise to fundamentally improve the way the world moves.
Via was founded with the guiding principle that we go further when we go together. We are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles. All backgrounds, identities, and voices are welcomed and celebrated at Via.
Ready to join the ride?
Via is an equal opportunity employer.