Senior Counsel, Regulatory & Compliance
Via is using technology to transform transportation around the world. From changing a single person’s daily commute to reducing humanity’s collective environmental footprint — we’ve got huge goals.
As Senior Counsel of Regulatory and Compliance, you will join our dynamic Legal team with a particular focus on being a trusted advisor to the business while ensuring compliance with applicable laws and regulations, mitigating risk. Your work will support our current business and new verticals in highly regulated jurisdictions in the United States, Canada, and Europe, enabling the business to continue to expand. Seeking a businessperson with a highly commercial mindset who is also a lawyer.
What You'll Do:
- Provide regulatory guidance on federal, state and local laws and applicable regulations for a wide variety of domestic and international transit deployments.
- Advise on labor, employee classification, and union issues at the heart of the sharing economy.
- Anticipate and identify legal and regulatory risks and propose strategic, creative and effective solutions to address those risks.
- Work cross-functionally with business and operations teams to build processes that ensure compliance with regulatory and procurement requirements.
- Manage incoming regulatory and governmental requests, including responding to audits and inquiries.
- Identify any permits and licenses we need for regulated operations, manage those application processes, and work with various business teams on implementing and maintaining compliance.
- Support the Public Policy team by analyzing transportation legislation and rulemakings, providing insight on proposed laws and regulations and their potential impact on our business.
Who You Are:
- Minimum of 6-8+ years of experience as a practicing lawyer at a top-tier firm, in-house, or in the government with an impressive track record of achievement.
- Meticulous with excellent analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Flexible team-player who can work well in a group or autonomously.
- Outstanding writer with strong research skills.
- Sound judgment and ability to balance legal risks with business objectives in a fast-paced environment.
- In-house legal experience is strongly preferred; experience with a tech startup or a public company is a bonus but not required. Ideal experience would be with another sharing economy company.
- Substantive expertise in compliance or regulatory practice preferred.
- Experience with data privacy, procurement or consumer protection law is a bonus but not required.
- Language skills are also a bonus but not required.
Compensation and Benefits: (NYC, CA, CO, WA Only)
- Final salary will be determined by the candidate’s experience, knowledge, and skills. Salary reflected does not include equity or variable pay, where applicable
- Salary Range: $170,000-$220,000
- We are proud to offer a generous and comprehensive benefits package, including free medical plans and 401K matching.
We’re Via, and we build technology that changes the way the world moves. We pioneered the TransitTech category to ensure that the future of transportation is shared, dynamic public mobility — the kind that reduces carbon emissions across congested cities, minimizes reliance on private cars, and provides everyone with accessible, efficient, and affordable ways of getting around.
We created the first end-to-end TransitTech solution for cities and transit agencies, offering world-class software, service design, and operational expertise to fundamentally improve the way the world moves.
Via was founded with the guiding principle that we go further when we go together. We are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles. All backgrounds, identities, and voices are welcomed and celebrated at Via.
Ready to join the ride?
Via is an equal opportunity employer.