Director, Remote Operations Center (ROC) &Asset Management Services
Stem provides clean energy solutions and services designed to maximize the economic, environmental, and resiliency value of energy assets and portfolios. Stem’s leading AI-driven enterprise software platform, Athena®, enables organizations to deploy and unlock value from clean energy assets at scale. Powerful applications, including AlsoEnergy’s PowerTrack, simplify and optimize asset management and connect an ecosystem of owners, developers, assets, and markets. Stem also offers integrated partner solutions to help improve returns across energy projects, including storage, solar, and EV fleet charging. For more information, visit www.stem.com.
Stem’s culture embodies diversity & inclusion beyond the traditional facets of gender, ethnicity, age, disabilities, and sexual orientation to include experience, personality, communication, workstyles, and more. At our core, Stem is at the momentous intersection of clean energy and software technology where diverse ideas, experiences, and professional skills converge to make the inclusive culture we have today. Together, we are turning old school thoughts about software and energy into progressive, collaborative, and innovative solutions. By joining our team, you will be collaborating with data scientists, energy experts, skilled salespeople, thought-leading executives and more from a range of backgrounds. This intersection of ideas, beliefs, and skills is what makes us unique enough to lead the world’s largest network of digitally connected energy storage systems.
What we are looking for:
As Director of the Remote Operations Center (ROC) and Asset Management Services at Stem, you will have responsibility for multiple teams delivering real-time asset operations and services incl. asset performance monitoring, warranty, maintenance, and repair administration, and new product introduction. We are seeking a strong experienced leader for the Director role, requiring management experience to transition Stem’s operating services from our early growth stage, to maturity, and a tactical focus to drive consistent and stable asset operations and performance for Stem’s rapidly growing storage and solar customer base. Candidate must be able to direct the evolution of Stem’s remote operating center services (“ROC”) to deliver best-in-class full-spectrum asset operations services while expanding the team’s capabilities to handle evolving combinations of solar, storage, EV charging, microgrids, and other advanced energy solutions. The successful candidate must have demonstrated experience with establishing standard operating procedures and metrics, then execute against them for continuous improvement. The individual will support the creation of a NERC-compliant operations center and qualification as a NERC GOP as well as direct the ongoing operations to meet the certification standards and criteria. The role will have significant cross-functional internal collaboration with commercial, product, market operations, and customer support and external interaction with asset owners, O&M partners, OEMs and supporting customer success. As Director of this key services team, they will support business development and sales as Stem’s asset operations expert.
- Develop the organization to cover the full spectrum of asset operations and market operation services with a focus on ensuring asset availability and performance
- Lead the development of the team and the operating capabilities and processes to handle evolving advanced energy solution requirements, new product introductions, and market operations
- Develop and execute to standard operating procedures required by the industry and regulatory entities
- Define and regularly generate metrics establishing quality of operations and continuous improvement including adherence to service level agreements
- Establish incremental improvement practices to develop team process and improve asset availability and performance
- Working with Product, define asset management and ROC tiered service packages and cost models that span C&I solutions to Utility-scale operations and support commercial delivery
- Support sales opportunity and contract reviews on an as-needed basis
- Support expansion of professional services in existing markets, as well other company expansion efforts into new markets and programs, as needed
- As a customer, provide guidance to Stem product teams on development of software and controls solutions to enable high-performance, cost-effective, and sustainable services delivery
- Establish the organization as the subject matter expert (SME) on asset management and remote operating methodologies; develop professional service and training offerings for Stem customers who have their own asset management and ROC operations
- Establish operating practices that can support international expansion and deliver 24x7 coverage
- Develop operating procedures including operator training that complies with NERC Generator Operator (GOP) requirements
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in engineering (or equivalent technical experience) with a minimum of five (5) years operations management experience
- Experienced leader with demonstrated success managing remote operations center and control room organizations for real-time energy generation assets (including asset management, O&M and dispatch services)
- Energy generation monitoring and dispatch experience within a utility or energy system operator environment
- Experience with NERC and other control room compliance practices
- Familiar with operating requirements for SGIA and LGIA power plants and grid interconnection obligations
- Excellent communicator, able to relate to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Able to lead 24/7 operations and remain calm and effective under pressure
- Deep technical knowledge of solar and/or storage technologies.
- Direct experience implementing a NERC-compliant 24x7 operations center as a Generator Operator.
- Direct experience managing assets enrolled in wholesale energy markets and interacting with scheduling entities.
- Management experience that demonstrates increasing responsibilities and team size
Denver Colorado region, United States. In office or hybrid (2-3 days a week) required. Remote a possibility with Executive Approval.
Salary Range$155,100.00 - $217,300.00
Stem, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, pregnancy, religion, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, disability, genetic information, military status, protected veteran status or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.