Cloud Database Administrator
Stem provides clean energy solutions and services designed to maximize the economic, environmental, and resiliency value of energy assets and portfolios. Stem’s leading AI-driven enterprise software platform, Athena®, enables organizations to deploy and unlock value from clean energy assets at scale. Powerful applications, including AlsoEnergy’s PowerTrack, simplify and optimize asset management and connect an ecosystem of owners, developers, assets, and markets. Stem also offers integrated partner solutions to help improve returns across energy projects, including storage, solar, and EV fleet charging. For more information, visit www.stem.com.
Stem’s culture embodies diversity & inclusion beyond the traditional facets of gender, ethnicity, age, disabilities, and sexual orientation to include experience, personality, communication, workstyles, and more. At our core, Stem is at the momentous intersection of clean energy and software technology where diverse ideas, experiences, and professional skills converge to make the inclusive culture we have today. Together, we are turning old school thoughts about software and energy into progressive, collaborative, and innovative solutions. By joining our team, you will be collaborating with data scientists, energy experts, skilled salespeople, thought-leading executives and more from a range of backgrounds. This intersection of ideas, beliefs, and skills is what makes us unique enough to lead the world’s largest network of digitally connected energy storage systems.
What we are looking for:
The Could Database Administrator is responsible for the installation, configuration, upgrading, administration, monitoring, maintenance, and security of databases within on premises and cloud architectures. As part of the DevOps/SysOps Group, the role includes the development and design of Databases solutions, migration of databases to cloud environments, transforming workload and the opportunity to utilize cloud native database systems. We are looking for Core DBA Skills across a core database flavor (Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL or NOSQL equivalents) including areas such as Database Architecture Design, Database Installation, Configuration and Patching, Backup and Recovery, Data Import/Export Technologies, Automation, Database Performance Tuning, Monitoring Platforms, Problem diagnoses, manageability, and operations, Data Replication, Database Security, Encryption, Compression and Data Masking/Redaction and Migration & Consolidation planning and execution.
- Design, develop, and enhance highly scalable database systems using the AWS RDS MySQL, AURORA, MSSQL, and other database platforms that generate positive consumer experiences.
- Collaborate with front-end and big-data development teams on data-driven user experiences, features, and services.
- Collaborate with platform architects to optimize software and systems by identifying and eliminating potential performance obstacles.
- Monitor, correct, and audit database health regularly, and work with developers to optimize all database operations.
- Develop maintenance and optimization procedures for database operations, indexes, statistics, health checks, and automated alarms.
- Implement mechanisms for monitoring the integrity, usage, and consistency of data.
- DBMS platform monitoring, alerting, and preventative maintenance.
- Perform capacity planning exercises to determine the hardware, software, and database configuration/architecture standards required to support application and business requirements and analyze the associated costs.
- Administer production database management systems and provide on-call assistance
- Orchestrate database configurations using infrastructure code (Iac).
- Create and test disaster recovery plans to ensure data integrity and business continuity.
- Support requests for database-wide security, privacy, and conformance
- Keep abreast of the most recent cloud and database technologies and make suggestions to improve our infrastructure.
- Participate in an on-call rotation to provide support for critical database issues
- Two essential skills are working in a fast-paced environment and adapting your workflow to the current task.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience
- Six to ten years of experience in database design, engineering, administration, and database architecture with 3+ years in cloud-hosted database infrastructure, specifically in AWS
- Experience with MySQL/RDS/Aurora/MSSQL, server tuning, query optimization, replication strategies, storage engines, capacity planning, backups, recovery, HA, Clustering, etc.
- Ability to develop procedures, processes, and conventions to standardize database operations
- Proficient in one of the scripting languages (shell, Perl, PHP, Python, etc.) for monitoring and custom automation
- Experience with infrastructure automation using Terraform or Cloudformation
- Strong Monitoring and optimization of the database performance using tools like DataDog, Grafana, and New Relic
- Good to have experience with Kubernetes and Docker
- Good understanding of relational and dimensional data modeling
- Prior experience in database migration from the data center to AWS Cloud using DMS or other technologies
- Time series data in SQL
- No SQL
Location: San Francisco CA or Boulder CO
Salary Range$134,850.00 - $188,950.00
Stem, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, pregnancy, religion, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, disability, genetic information, military status, protected veteran status or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.