Platform & Data Engineering Manager
Software Engineering, Other Engineering, Data Science
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2023
Swiftly is on a mission to help cities move more efficiently. We are the leading transit data platform for agencies to share real-time passenger information, manage day-to-day operations, and improve service performance. Today, over 150 transit agencies in 8 countries – including LA Metro, MARTA, SEPTA, MBTA, and WMATA – rely on Swiftly to improve on-time performance by up to 40% and increase passenger information accuracy by up to 50%. The result is better service reliability, increased ridership, and more efficient transit operations.
Engineering at Swiftly
Engineering at Swiftly is not only about writing code – we believe in creating empowered product teams that work together to conceptualize new features and bring them to life. Each team aims to strike a balance between delivering incremental improvements, creating prototypes to test new ideas and mitigate risks, and building scalable software using industry best practices. We’re guided by a mission to positively impact transit riders, and we embrace humility and intentionality in how we make technical decisions so that we best meet our customers’ needs.
About the Role
We're seeking a platform and data engineering leader to join our team. The platform and data engineering team builds and deploys the infrastructure, software, services, and tools that empower our product teams to deliver scalable, highly-available software efficiently. The team helps infuse a DevSecOps culture across our teams. The team also has a role in designing data architecture and managing infrastructure/optimization in partnership with product teams; with a product built around transit data, this is a key piece of what we do.
As a manager and leader, you'll aim to empower the team to deliver impactful outcomes while supporting growth of direct reports. Your leadership responsibility will span from roadmapping and goal setting to ensuring effective execution for your team, including being hands-on. You’ll also have an opportunity to deliver impact across the Product Organization and lead cross-functional initiatives across the company at large. Overall, we're looking for folks who are excited to mix hands-on skills with leadership and management skills, dynamically adjusting to help their team as needed the most.
We encourage you to apply if you meet half or more of the requirements and are excited to learn about the rest. Above all else, we value candidates who have a positive attitude and the aptitude to learn the requisite skills. We know the tech landscape is ever-changing and strongly support individual growth. If this is exciting to you, we'd love to talk.
Even though Swiftly's HQ office is located in San Francisco, CA, we are open to candidates in most locations across the U.S. as well as Ontario, Canada. At this time we are unable to provide Visa sponsorship. #LI-Remote
- Manage Swiftly’s Platform & Data Eng Team including people management, technical leadership, mentorship, and contributor responsibilities
- Drive roadmapping, prioritization, and goal setting for the team, aligning the team around ambitious but feasible goals that create impact for Swiftly
- Support the team in managing day-to-day execution, ensuring the team is working together effectively to achieve goals
- Understand data opportunities for Swiftly as a whole, helping the team evolve architecture and infrastructure for key product and analytics use cases
- Evangelize a DevSecOps mentality across the organization, enabling teams to design high-quality software and manage their own software and infrastructure successfully
- Own measuring and reporting on engineering KPIs to the VP of Engineering and Executive team, and leveraging them to propose projects that improve engineering efficiency, quality, and dev experience
- Cultivate an inclusive, psychologically safe, and teamwork-first culture on the team, and help enable it company-wide
- Create an environment where your direct reports are proud to work at Swiftly, as measured by employee retention and employee satisfaction scores
You'll be a good fit if...
- You are excited to be part of a mission-driven company. Regardless of your why, it is important that you care about the work we do
- You have a strong track record leading high-performing teams that prioritize, plan, and deliver consistently
- You seek to make an impact by finding and solving important problems; you leverage your wide-ranging background between software, DevOps, and data engineering to do so, while using a learning mentality to fill in the gaps
- You have several years of experience building cloud-native architectures (AWS preferred) and can coach/enable teams to build with effective patterns (microservices, serverless, etc)
- You’ve worked with a variety of data-intensive systems from infrastructure to ETL and analytics, including relational databases, data warehouses, and data streaming platforms
- You have previously managed direct reports and created a highly collaborative, psychologically safe environment, with team members growing and achieving goals under your mentorship
- You care about engineering efficiency and quality, and you’ve delivered platforms that make it easier for product teams to deliver, manage, and iterate on software in production with high uptime (e.g. CI/CD, infrastructure as code, observability, alerting)
- You are a dynamic team player who is excited to collaborate cross-functionally to make valuable contributions to Swiftly
- You seek to understand and embrace a mindset of continuous learning, helping both yourself and those around you adapt as business needs, customer needs, and technology constantly evolve
- You’re open to receiving feedback (a core Swiftly value!), approach technical debates with humility, and participate in blameless postmortems when things go wrong
**FOR U.S. CANDIDATES ONLY:**
In accordance with pay transparency laws: the approximate salary range for this role is $160,000 to $210,000 yearly (base salary + any variable comp). This range represents the anticipated low and high end of the salary for this position. Actual salaries will vary and are based on a multitude of non-discriminatory factors including final role leveling decisions, a candidate’s relevant work experiences/skills, and geographic location within the United States. Note: salary ranges for non-U.S. candidates may be higher or lower than the U.S. numbers above depending on location.
Salary is one component of Swiftly’s total compensation package, which also includes stock options, competitive benefits, 401(k) matching, a fantastic team and culture, opportunity to have a huge impact, emphasis on professional growth and holistic wellness, and other perks.
- Competitive salary
- Stock options for every employee
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- 401k with Employer Match
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Home office setup reimbursement
- Monthly cell/internet reimbursement
- Monthly Education Reimbursement
- Flexible PTO
- Flexible work environment
- 16 paid holidays - including holidays in months without US national holidays in 2023/2024
- 8 fully paid weeks of leave for child birth/adoption
Travel note: Swiftly employees can generally expect to travel 1–2 times a year for in-person company or team offsites. As a fully distributed company, we consider these offsites important for cultivating strong relationships across our teams! Attending these in-person is expected and encouraged, although we understand everyone has different personal circumstances and we will consider requests for exceptions. Customer-facing team members and other specific roles may be expected to travel more frequently.
We are an equal opportunity employer - we are committed to a workplace that is as dynamic, diverse, and passionate as the communities we serve.