Manager - Legal (Level M1)
Company: Terviva India Private Limited (“Terviva India”)
Job Title: Associate Counsel (India)
Reports to: Chief Legal Officer and works extensively with and reports to Associate General Counsel, Terviva, Inc. (U.S. Parent Company to Terviva India)
Location: Mumbai, India
Terviva, Inc. is a food and agriculture company committed to transforming the food, energy and agriculture industry by making food and energy production more accessible to and equitable for farmers, and more sustainable for our communities and our planet.
We do this by cultivating a non-GMO, sustainable tree crop called Pongamia that produces beans with dramatically higher yields than other oilseed crops. The beans can be used to produce various forms of biofuel and animal feed, as well as tasty and nourishing plant-based oil and protein food ingredients using Terviva’s proprietary bean processing technology.
Our Pongamia trees not only produce beans for sustainable food ingredients and renewable energy, they also restore farmland to productive use, thus helping farmers feed people while taking care of the planet.
Terviva, Inc. is based in the United States, with subsidiaries in India and Australia, and operations globally (Terviva, Inc., together with its subsidiaries is “Terviva”).
In alignment with our culture and values, we strive to develop a workplace where diversity and inclusion are an essential part of who we are. We do this by hiring and engaging diverse teammates from all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives because we believe our diversity makes us stronger and better while working together.
Learn more at Terviva.com
About Terviva in India:
Pongamia is indigenous to India where it has been used for centuries for ayurvedic and energy purposes. Terviva India is a key part of the global business of Terviva. Terviva India is engaged in the collection, harvesting and processing of wild Pongamia into various products, including but not limited to, feedstock for biofuel, animal feed, and fertilizer.
Terviva strives to make a positive impact in the communities where we operate, in particular in small Indian rural communities where our sustainable agricultural business operations have a direct and positive economic impact for all citizens, and in particular women.
About Terviva Legal:
The Legal Department at Terviva is a global department that supports the commercial, environmental, and social endeavors of Terviva. The Legal Department is responsible for delivering efficient, high-quality, business-forward legal services to Terviva. Examples include end-to-end contract management, intellectual portfolio management, policy/procedure/regulatory process management, corporate finance and securities, technology transfer, commercial contracts including co-manufacturing and joint development agreements and corporate governance management.
As Associate Legal Counsel (India) you will play a vital role in supporting our commercial business, environmental and social functions not only in India but also globally. You will provide legal advice and support to Terviva, its subsidiaries, business and functional groups and the executive team.
This role will be instrumental in drafting, managing, reviewing and negotiating contracts; advising on business ethics, company policies, regulatory compliance, and other aspects of law; providing legal guidance and risk assessment; managing compliance-related activities and company secretarial duties.
Although based in India and the first point of contact for the India Business Unit, this is a global position with responsibilities that extend into the parent company and various other subsidiaries around the world.
This position reports directly to the Chief Legal Officer and the Associate General Counsel and will work in close collaboration with the India Business unit.
General (30% of scope)
- Advise on various aspects of laws, corporate governance, and company policies to various functional departments
- Liaise with external counsels with respect to various ongoing legal matters
- Provide legal advice to internal stakeholders on contractual matters, protecting intellectual property, risk management and compliance issues
- Conduct research into a variety of legal issues, provide legal analysis and counsel in order to maintain compliance with laws, regulations and internal policies and to anticipate and mitigate legal risks and exposures for Terviva
- Interpret and explain complex legal concepts in a clear and concise manner to non-legal colleagues
- Provide training to company employees on legal topics and risks to enhance employee awareness on legal matters and best practices
- Assist in tracking, updating, reviewing and reporting data
- Assist in the preparation and presentation of materials in various settings, such as training sessions for clients on contracting, compliance (e.g., competition and antitrust, anti-corruption, anti-boycott and US Trade Sanctions) and other legal topics
- Represent Terviva in dealings, including negotiations with third parties such as governments, competitors, partners, suppliers and customers
- Handle essential legal administrative functions
- Foster a culture of compliance and ethics within the organization
Commercial & Contract Management (30% of scope)
- Analyze contract requirements, terms and conditions and other content to ensure compliance with appropriate laws
- Draft, prepare and modify legal documents and contractual instruments, including NDAs, license agreements, lease agreements, and service agreements in order to assist and support various business activities/functional departments as needed in India and throughout the world
- Review, negotiate, and finalize third-party contracts and agreements and redlined standard company templates
- Advise on legal risks and legal liabilities associated with various transactions; Conduct risk assessments on contracts and recommend strategies to mitigate potential legal risks.
- Efficiently handle the entire contract lifecycle, from creation to execution
- Review contracts to ensure accuracy, completeness, and adherence to established internal policies and legal standards
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to align contracts with organizational goals and objectives
- Efficiently manage the entire contract lifecycle, from creation to execution, using contract management software to track, manage, negotiate, and analyze contracts
Regulatory & Compliance (20 % of scope)
- Liaise with regulatory authorities, including RBI, Ministry of Corporate Affairs, Inspectors under the Shops & Establishment Act
- Develop, implement and administer internal policies and procedures to ensure compliance with laws
- Monitor and ensure compliance with company policies & all applicable laws
- Remain current with respect to changes in Indian laws and regulations relevant to contracts and corporate operations
Company Secretarial (20% of scope)
- Manage and coordinate the Board of Directors and Shareholder meetings of Terviva India
- Prepare and finalize meeting agendas, minutes of meetings, and resolutions
- Prepare and file various forms and returns in compliance with the provisions of the Companies Act
- Maintain and preserve all applicable records and returns
Skills, Competencies & Experience:
- 3 - 5 years of working experience in supporting the legal department of global corporations on contracts or compliance matters
- Direct experience in strategic and complex commercial transactions
- Proven experience in contract management
- Fluency in corporate governance, secretarial compliance, corporate law, contract law, employment law, and related fields
- Good practical knowledge of applied law, either gained in private practice, legal service, or in-house, so that you can be relied on as a fully operative member of the Legal Department in giving advice to the company independently
- Strong understanding of contract law principles and hands-on experience in drafting contracts and negotiation
- Familiarity with Indian laws and regulations related to contracts and business operations
- Knowledge of corporate standards, governance, regulations and compliance requirements in India
- Comfortable with various technologies, platforms and software; skilled with computers and technology; experience with project and data management, word processing, document editing and contract management platforms
- Ability to obtain firm working knowledge of overall business objectives and policies of the company and generally the way the company as a whole operates so that advice can be given in context
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with broad, generalist responsibilities, but with specialist legal subject skills in commercial law and regulatory matters
- Quality mindset, accountability, ability to work, timeliness, initiative, self-motivated, positive and approachable attitude, high level of integrity
- Excellent command of English, both written and spoken; strong interpersonal and business communication skills
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines
- Strong attention to detail and organizational abilities
- Ability to collaborate effectively with diverse teams and manage multiple tasks
- Ability to navigate complex issues
- Capable of researching, consolidating and reporting on various issues
- Business acumen partnered with a dedication to law and compliance
- Methodical and diligent with outstanding planning abilities
- Characteristics of a forward thinker and self-starter who flourishes with new challenges and adapts quickly to new facts, knowledge and concepts
- An analytical mind able to “see” the complexities of procedures and regulations
- Ability and desire to work independently and as a member of an integrated team
- Ability and willingness to work in support of overseas operations while based in India
- Ability and willingness to travel (domestic / international)
Education & Background:
- Master’s or bachelor’s in law from a recognized university; postgraduate degree is a plus
- Certificate of Practice
- Company Secretary (ICSI) certification is a plus
Working at Terviva offers you:
- The opportunity to make an impact in a fast-growing mission-driven start-up that believes in sustainability, equity and care for our environment and our people
- Competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience
- Potential annual bonus.
- Stock options
- Customary Medical Insurance
- Customary Annual and holiday leave
Please note benefits may change from time to time without notice, subject to applicable laws.
To apply, please respond to the Company position below.
Please include your resume and a cover letter telling us about yourself, your experience and why you are well suited for this job with Terviva. Please advise as to whether you will be available for in-person interviews in Mumbai in early December
Terviva is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based on caste, race, creed, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status and sexual orientation or any other legally protected status or characteristics. Our leadership team is dedicated to this policy and all employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.