Business Development Director -Fashion/Luxury
About Trove Recommerce
Recognized by FastCo in 2022 as one of the World Changing Ideas Awards and in 2020 as one of the World's Most Innovative Companies, Trove powers resale as a channel for the world's most beloved brands, extending the life of millions of products and creating more inclusive, less wasteful business models. We power the technology, operations, and analytics enabling retailers to stand up a scalable and profitable branded recommerce channel.
Our end-to-end item intelligence optimizes every step of the circular journey and transforms complex logistics into a joyful customer experience, adding to brand equity without increasing carbon emissions. Building and implementing this technology can’t come soon enough, resale is growing at 5 times the rate of e-commerce and 21 times the rate of traditional retail **.
A certified B-Corp, we power in-store and online retail for leaders such as Patagonia, REI, Eileen Fisher, Arc’teryx, Lululemon, Levi’s, and Allbirds with the mission of accelerating the shift to a new era of conscious commerce essential to a sustainable future.
**Source: The Consumers Behind Fashion’s Growing Secondhand Market, BCG, 2020. Source: Trove Data
About the Business Development Director
As the Business Development Director, you will be responsible for Trove’s growth through acquisition of new brand partners across our core verticals of fashion, outdoor, footwear, luxury and better multi brand retailers. We are geography and category-agnostic and as such, a book of business will be assigned according to experience and relationships in the retail market.
The resale market is accelerating quickly and Trove is well positioned as the leader in the provider category powering programs at a scale that no other provider can support. As the Business Development Director, you will target and build influence with a focused list of globally-known brands and retailers and will structure, negotiate and close complex, highly strategic and profitable multi-year partnerships. As a contributor on a small team, you will build influence with holding companies, Board level contacts, investors, C-Suite leaders and brand-level management within a focused list that originates from your own contacts as well as assigned contacts. Given that the recommerce industry is relatively new, the target stakeholders you’ll be influencing within an organization can vary from C-Suite leaders, sustainability/CSR leaders, merchants, marketers, ecommerce leaders, procurement contacts and often strategy teams. Currently, Trove is activated in the North American territory only although we work with global brands in support of their US businesses.
The Business Development Director will report to the VP of Business Development. You will thrive working in a small but growing team which encompasses Business Development and Marketing and will collaborate effectively with Onboarding, Partnerships, Product, Marketing, and Operations to structure ideal outcomes.. As a leader at Trove you will be just as motivated by delivering results quarter after quarter as you are by building an enduring and successful mission and values-driven company. You are collaborative and earn the trust of the internal partnerships, engineering, product management teams just as much as the trust of our partners. Importantly, you are a team player at the core - Trove’s incentive structure rewards the entire growth team when a partner is secured and goes live rather than solely the individual contributor.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop aggressive annual and quarterly business development goals and work daily to achieve them.
- Identify, develop and move a book of business forward and accelerate pipeline momentum.
- Be comfortable in responding to inbound and driving outbound sales activities.
- Own your sales strategy for each prospect. Educate yourself and map opportunities within each target organisation to properly understand all stakeholders, CSR/sustainability goals, seasonality, planning and strategic initiatives.
- Articulate the value of Trove for retailers, leveraging knowledge of partner priorities and/or drivers to influence decision making.
- Collaborate with pre-sale marketing partners, product marketing and data to develop powerful narratives and materials to leverage throughout the sales process.
- Establish long-term, sustainable growth while closing new partnerships by successfully building relationships with multiple C-level executives and negotiating long-term contracts that achieve revenue and margin targets and optimize long-term market position.
- Coordinate favorable partner terms and contract delivery in coordination with Trove Partnerships, Product, Marketing, Finance, and Operations teams.
- Collaborate with Trove Partnerships, Operations and Product to assure effective transition, onboarding and delivery.
- Attend and serve as a SME in appropriate events, trade shows and networking settings on behalf of the brand and in-person with brand teams or ownership groups when necessary.
- Identify strategies to respond to market discoveries, trends and public reporting timelines.
- Drive strategic thinking among the internal team and foster a team culture of customer and partner focus. Ensure business development pipeline results in accurate financial modelling and profitable growth.
- Contribute to evolution of efficient and effective business development processes and continually work to improve the team’s approach.
Experience You Bring
- Proven experience closing consultative, complex, highly strategic, multi-year deals.
- Deep relationships and reputation working with or for large enterprise brands and retailers in fashion, luxury, athletic/outdoor spaces.
- Retail experience on the brand side
- Knowledgeable of SaaS retail technology, digital platforms and ecommerce trends
- Strong understanding of how good software teams are organized and implemented
- Detail oriented - strong communicator - strategic thinker
- East coast hours preferred
Why Work Here?
- Flexible Remote Workplace- Trove’s flexible schedule and remote workplace allows employees to take control over their schedule, which is invaluable when it comes to attending to the needs of personal and work life needs.
- Flexible PTO - Our flexible vacation company policy allows employees to take the time they need to rest and enjoy themselves outside work.
- 401K- Employees can set aside pre-tax dollars to invest in a qualified retirement investment plan with a company match.
- Medical- Trove covers 100% of employee monthly premium.
- Equity/Share Options - The longer the employee works, the more stocks become available to purchase.
- Learning Fund- Exempt employees have access to a pool of funds to support execution of their self-development goals and objectives.
- Partner Discounts- Enjoy eligibility for Pro Accounts and various partner discounts from Patagonia, Arcteryx and Eileen FIsher
- Mission Driven- Work alongside passionate people to build the leading recommerce infrastructure and the circular economy.
Trove is committed to creating an equitable and transparent workplace. The annual compensation range for this position is $144K-$216K plus competitive bonus and equity. Final compensation will be determined based on experience, location and skills and may vary from the range listed above.
Trove is proud to be an equal opportunity company but we don’t want to stop there. We strive to be an anti-racist company and we believe that diversity and gender balance will help us reach our full potential. At Trove we are building a company where we are not only proud of our mission, but how we are pursuing it. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status and we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for employment.
Trove requires all employees to provide proof of a COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of their employment, subject to exemptions for sincerely held religious beliefs, or medical reasons.